PDA

View Full Version : pod filter

90lff
16-04-2008, 08:55 PM
i saw the post about the BOVs but was wondering if a pod filter is any better?
would i still loose power?
is it worth it as TDi's have a fancy 3 stage self cleaning air filter?
would it effect the engine?
thanks

mikinoz
16-04-2008, 09:01 PM
I have done this - see thread in this section- and feel that it is an improvement in response in lower rev range.

As for figures, this is yet to be determined until dyno day.

gldgti
16-04-2008, 11:05 PM
i ran a pod filter on my mk3 diesel for a month or two, then went back to stock... its better.

Greg Roles
17-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Awesome idea IF it is shielded from hot engine bay air, which will actually drop power, at least down low. Great idea as Mik has hinted at, and my next engine mod.
Never heard of a self cleaning filter, and paper ones basically just get more and more clogged, and have to be replaced periodically.
Actual gains depends on model, and how well the stock airbox has been designed. On the MK5 the biggest problem is the 90 degree bends, especially in the lid.

Mik, still have the MAF grid?

Logzy
17-04-2008, 07:20 AM
3 stage self cleaning air filter. Never heard of them, tell me more please.
Do they wash rinse and then dry.??j:

gregozedobe
17-04-2008, 10:00 AM
I don't know about the VW ones, but Toyota Landcruiser paper air filters ARE washable (according to the owner's manual - not that I was ever game to do it on mine)

mikinoz
17-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Mik, still have the MAF grid?

Until I get some spare $ for one to dremel, I am staying standard - I don't want to get stranded if I make a mistake! ;)

90lff
17-04-2008, 08:40 PM
well im pretty sure thats what the dealer at VW told me about the air filter
said i didnt have to touch it cause it cleans itself...
was he just bull****ting me?
should i check it out?
what does everyoe else do?
mines a 2007 2.0 tdi

mikinoz
17-04-2008, 08:48 PM
You have seen this thread?

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=14110

As for filter - they charge me to replace them so I am sure they are not self cleaning - maybe they mean the DPF is self cleaning which is more accurate...

gldgti
18-04-2008, 07:07 AM
maybe....

self cleaning = included in servicing.... hahaha

90lff
22-04-2008, 06:47 PM
ok so honestly i want the pod filter for the flutter noise...
but i was told you need a BOV for that noise
and BOVs are illegal unless they are pump back...
are these both true?
i have the the tissshhh noise in the golf but only very quietly so does that mean it has a bov on it or something else?

mikinoz you said you had put a pod filter ondone this...
do you get the flutter?
what sort of vw do you have?
is it turbo'd?
cheers

Greg Roles
23-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Until I get some spare $ for one to dremel, I am staying standard - I don't want to get stranded if I make a mistake! ;)

Where's your sense of adventure?

MAFgrid-less with my temporary bucket pod and absolutely no problems thus far.... but boy isn't the response better!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/2008_0422Image0002-2.jpg

You have to fold back 4 tabs on the front side of the maf grid, around the edge. They are very small, like only 1mm wide, and it's obviously been melted together, but they are easily peeled back with a small screwdriver. Taking the top sensor out is tricky with the special star screws, but gotta love the multigrips. Getting the whole assembly out is tricky as it clips into the rear 3 arm holder, and despite several attempts to just unclip the rear, I got the poops and just took to it with the cutters. It would just push back in and need three spots glued to be back to stock. I'll drive it a few more days and watch for any vag com errors, but yesterday the car ran exactly as per usual, even idle was perfect from the first start.

I've been chatting to Steve at Modshack, and am getting a custom housing off him at a very reasonable $150 odd less filter. Thanks for pioneering this for us here Mik!

Greg Roles
23-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Gotta love the 1 kg protein bucket!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/2008_0422Image0003-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/2008_0422Image0004-2.jpg

It's actually the same size as Modshacks TTDA, shorter yet fatter filter, and with one thin hose from the radiator lengthened will fit a treat.

Boy don't you feel the hot air from the engine when you've been idling in traffic for a while! My proper housing will be sealed to the front intake to prevent the hot air ingress as much as possible.

motk
23-04-2008, 10:18 AM
are these both true?
i have the the tissshhh noise in the golf but only very quietly so does that mean it has a bov on it or something else?

A diesel Golf has a wastegate - as there's no throttle body there's no need for a BOV. IMO they're fairly pointless anyway unless you're running Stupid Boost.

mikinoz
23-04-2008, 10:21 AM
I love that! On my MKIV I was the master of homebrew mods.

I may try the MAF on the weekend.

Our family only having 1 car 2 jobs and 2 kids - I am no longer allowed to just 'try out' as many things on this car as I was doing on the IV

mikinoz
23-04-2008, 10:31 AM
are these both true?

mikinoz you said you had put a pod filter ondone this...
do you get the flutter?
what sort of vw do you have?
is it turbo'd?
cheers

Ok - I get both induction and wastage noise - also a louder spool of the turbo.

I have been stock this week and the response of the engine is dramatically reduced.

I will need to get some time and put up a video/audio clip for you.

Greg Roles
23-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Well I thrashed the bejesus out of it all morning, and it didn't miss a beat. I figured if it was going to run incorrect fuel ratio's and throw an error, several 5000 rpm attempts would do it.

No problems, runs as per usual, and I can find no errors at all on Vag-ina-com. I concur that Modshack is correct in that the grid is only required if you run the stock box with the 90 degree lid, to even out the airflow.

Now, onto the exhaust.......:D

I wonder if an active DPF bypass for full throttle applications would be possible once we get a way to outsmart the DPF sensors. I think that would be best of both worlds. I plan to visit a local reputable exhaust shop for some new muffs / loss of that huge rear one, and I'll see what they think.

Rock on the home mods.:D

gregozedobe
23-04-2008, 02:10 PM
I wonder if an active DPF bypass for full throttle applications would be possible once we get a way to outsmart the DPF sensors. I think that would be best of both worlds. I plan to visit a local reputable exhaust shop for some new muffs / loss of that huge rear one, and I'll see what they think.

I love reading about the plans of the audaciously ambitious :D

I'm sure it is mechanically possible to dynamically bypass the DPF (maybe operated by some kind of pressure sensor on the exhaust or a switch that senses full throttle like an old style automatic gearbox kick-down switch).

However, integrating non-DPF mode with the engines exhaust control electronics may be more challenging. Maybe it is worth trying a really cheap non-DPF "bodged together" exhaust setup to see if there are any real gains to be had by removing the DPF ? If it only gains you 2-3 Kw it won't be worth all the trouble and expense of doing it properly, but at least you'll know for sure.

If all it does without the DPF is throw engine error codes but it runs OK you could just do the crude thing and ignore them and later reset with vag-com). If it puts you in limp home mode then you will need to delve deeper. :(

Please keep us informed.

Greg Roles
23-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Greggo, sounds like a good idea to fab up a temporary delete and dyno it. Would settle a lot of arguements! My brother is quite the welder too...hmm.....

I do like the idea of keeping the DPF for 90% of driving is pottering around, and to just have a straight through for the odd traffic light grand prix. I figure that'd be the most intelligent comprimise. Once a delete kit comes out, turning those electronics on and off with the bypass would be relatively straight forward. Helps that my old man is an electronics guru though!

My other thought is that bigger DPF's if not already out there will be forthcoming from VW, and perhaps upgrading to one off a Tourag or something would give a much lower pressure drop whilst doing the right thing. I'd pay to do that. I'm going to stick with the DPF until some options arise, and take it from there.

Logzy
23-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Greggo, sounds like a good idea to fab up a temporary delete and dyno it. Would settle a lot of arguements! My brother is quite the welder too...hmm.....

I do like the idea of keeping the DPF for 90% of driving is pottering around, and to just have a straight through for the odd traffic light grand prix. I figure that'd be the most intelligent comprimise. Once a delete kit comes out, turning those electronics on and off with the bypass would be relatively straight forward. Helps that my old man is an electronics guru though!

My other thought is that bigger DPF's if not already out there will be forthcoming from VW, and perhaps upgrading to one off a Tourag or something would give a much lower pressure drop whilst doing the right thing. I'd pay to do that. I'm going to stick with the DPF until some options arise, and take it from there.

Love the bucket air filter, looking good.
Have you considered a dome shaped cap to clip onto the front of the air filter. This would reduce the turbulance produced by air entering the concaved cone in the front of it. May give a smoother air flow.

mikinoz
23-04-2008, 02:42 PM
you may have more more KW - but I have no DPF to plague my mind of lost KW's...

I have 2 more mods in mind that I am keeping to myself until I can see if they make a difference (in the interest of looking foolish mainly)...

Greg Roles
23-04-2008, 02:44 PM
I hear ya mate, but APEX'I know their stuff. It's designed to flow air smoothly on the inside where it counts. A front cap isn't a silly idea though...but you have to wonder why APEX'I do it this way to begin with. These filters are all the rage with the Supra crowd, and are a dry filament that doesn't kill / upset the MAF as oiled ones can do. Downside is they are a throw away $80 item.

http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_suction_detail.asp?id=166&pageNum=1

Greg Roles
23-04-2008, 02:46 PM
you may have more more KW - but I have no DPF to plague my mind of lost KW's...

I have 2 more mods in mind that I am keeping to myself until I can see if they make a difference (in the interest of looking foolish mainly)...

I've considered a 100hp NOS shot too....:D

Seano
23-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Given that you are 'only' running 2.0Tdi........might it be worth considering air boxes from other larger engined VW TDi's?

The T4 2.5TDi airbox takes air in direct from the outside on the drivers side fender and down at the bottom of the box.....the air runs pretty much in a straight line from the intake all the way to the inlet manifold......the filter itself is fairly massive and I had one filter that lasted 60,000km and still the air filter monitor didn't trigger.......the UK boys have been modding their T4 TDi's out to over 100kW without running out of air too...

90lff
23-04-2008, 04:58 PM
so the place i got a quote off for a pod filter said they had to ring a supplier to find out info and would get back to me
so i gave him a call and said he cant get the part

so...
anyone wanna reccommend a place in brisbane that will do a pod filter on a golf

cheers

gregozedobe
23-04-2008, 11:50 PM
My other thought is that bigger DPF's if not already out there will be forthcoming from VW, and perhaps upgrading to one off a Tourag or something would give a much lower pressure drop whilst doing the right thing.

I don't know whether the DPF on the Transporter 2.5 TDI like mine has better flow than the 2.0 GT TDI or not. The motor in mine (2.5l 128Kw, 400Nm) didn't rev out as well as the GT TDI I took for a test drive (mine seems to peak out at about 4,500rpm), but mine did have better torque at low revs (below 2000rpm).

The Touareg and some Audis have an optional 3.0l V6 TDI motor that produces 150+ Kw and 500-550Nm of torque, so the DPF off one of those might flow more than yours. I have vague memories of a larger capacity Audi V8 TDI too, and maybe even talk of some monstrous Audi V12 TDI.

There is also the 5.0l V10 TDI from the Touareg, but I'm not sure whether that has a single or dual DPF system (it is basically two 2.5l 5 cyl R5 TDI engines stuck together, and may have 2 separate exhaust systems).

So there are a quite a few VAG engines that might be potential donors :)

Greg Roles
24-04-2008, 02:46 PM
All very interesting. In the end it comes down to flow benefit vs hassle / cost, and I'm sure the cost of a current DPF will be a factor. Thanks for the tips all the same, will put my ear to the VW ground.....

Guys ditch the Maf grid once you change the airbox, my car hasn't missed a beat, economy is still 850k's per tank which is clockwork for me, and I've Vag-com-ed it every arvo and there are no errors at all. Idle quality is as per stock, with no hunting or hesitation. Pickup and revving the car is noticably better, mabey it's largely just the sound, but it sure seems extra willing. Can't wait to sort out the other side of the turbo now!

motk
24-04-2008, 03:03 PM
All very interesting. In the end it comes down to flow benefit vs hassle / cost, and I'm sure the cost of a current DPF will be a factor. Thanks for the tips all the same, will put my ear to the VW ground.....

Guys ditch the Maf grid once you change the airbox, my car hasn't missed a beat, economy is still 850k's per tank which is clockwork for me, and I've Vag-com-ed it every arvo and there are no errors at all. Idle quality is as per stock, with no hunting or hesitation. Pickup and revving the car is noticably better, mabey it's largely just the sound, but it sure seems extra willing. Can't wait to sort out the other side of the turbo now!

Could you test this empirically by timing how long it take to go from idle to 3k rpm in neutral or similar? It'd be interesting to develop tests for this observation at least!

Mischa
24-04-2008, 03:08 PM
cogdog: you tha man :D

mikinoz
24-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Brackie would have loved this thread! :(

Mischa
24-04-2008, 05:32 PM
i'm sure a few people have his number why dont they convince him to at least come to a gtg or something :?

mikinoz
24-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Way too much water under that bridge sadly.

He is in Northern Tas and meets up on the occasion with MKVGTI.

He may pop past and see, I will never know.

Greg Roles
24-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Could you test this empirically by timing how long it take to go from idle to 3k rpm in neutral or similar? It'd be interesting to develop tests for this observation at least!

You guys and your scientific process...

AIM: To make oiler faster
METHOD: Screw with anything that doesn't look optimal
PROCEDURE: Remove, cut and otherwise simply modify back to basics. Air in, exhaust out.
RESULTS: Car is thus far feeling quicker and is more fun to drive.
DISCUSSION: Time it yourself, I'm too busy working on the next thing!

mikinoz
24-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I have just come back inside from the garage.

I am now also GRIDLESS!

So it seems that there are different ways to destroy the grids, I actually cut around the inner circle so if I need to I can put the inner tube back in which will lower the sensors response to the airlfow.

As it happens not having a DPF leads to me having BIG SMOKES one the hard acceleration, so I am sure that if nothing else you boys with them have just begun to make them work so much harder.

Went from stock box to ModShack TDItuned and gridless MAF and difference in response and power deliver is MASSIVE. Uncommon for my car was ESP coming on in 3rd at around 60km/h.

I am very happy where I am now. :D

motk
24-04-2008, 09:47 PM
But ... you could graph it! In different confusing colours with non-linear, non-zero reference misleading scales!

Jaymz
25-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Gotta love the 1 kg protein bucket!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/2008_0422Image0003-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/2008_0422Image0004-2.jpg

Hay ghey bouy thats a work of art:D If i bring my Milo tin round can you do the same to mine, or better yet we'll put one on the zorstj:

Greg Roles
25-04-2008, 07:19 PM
You won't be laughing smarty pants if I catch your chipped car with my bucket mods....

and then chip it!

Greg Roles
25-04-2008, 07:23 PM
I have just come back inside from the garage.

I am now also GRIDLESS!

So it seems that there are different ways to destroy the grids, I actually cut around the inner circle so if I need to I can put the inner tube back in which will lower the sensors response to the airlfow.

As it happens not having a DPF leads to me having BIG SMOKES one the hard acceleration, so I am sure that if nothing else you boys with them have just begun to make them work so much harder.

Went from stock box to ModShack TDItuned and gridless MAF and difference in response and power deliver is MASSIVE. Uncommon for my car was ESP coming on in 3rd at around 60km/h.

I am very happy where I am now. :D

Smart move, leaving the ring in. Didn't think of that way of removing it. Genius!

Still I get 0.004% better flow without it.

I'd have to agree that whilst my computer is showing normalish economy and range, I am sneakily suspicious I am now over fuelling.

As you say time will tell if the DPF clogs and I go into limp home.

Lads, de-grid at your own risk, I'd suggest waiting a few weeks till the foolish amongst us have emptied a few tanks of oil. I'd have to agree the car is going well.

It's definately totally the bucket though!

Jaymz
26-04-2008, 09:26 AM
You won't be laughing smarty pants if I catch your chipped car with my bucket mods....

and then chip it!

Right you are my friend. In all honesty, i think i will be right behind you if all goes well with these mods.
I am very interested to know if you are actually over fuelling. May i suggest one of these (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5300&CATID=&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=yes&Keyword1=K&Keyword2=K&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=)

Greg Roles
27-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Don't think it suits diesel man....?

So far it's all good, with half a tank gone thus far with spot on normal fuel economy. I'm just suddenly watching the computer info whereas before I was mainly just driving everywhere. Just being over-reactive I guess.

Still, time will indeed tell.

mikinoz
27-04-2008, 08:02 PM
On that note, I think my instant consumption rates increase faster than before, but overall economy is relatively unchanged for my grid removal.

gregozedobe
28-04-2008, 01:21 AM
I am sneakily suspicious I am now over fuelling.

But your ECU should still be measuring how much (more) air is going into your engine and adjusting the fuel quantity appropriately (so no more soot than before, possibly less because of more air available ? ).

Maybe your right foot is just doing more "butt-calibration" runs, thus leading to heavier fuel consumption ? ;)

Greg Roles
28-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Guys it's nearly empty, and it's as per usual. Ran 5.5 average on the highway today, which is spot on. It's simply that all of a sudden I'm really taking notice of the figures, whereas before I was busy looking for XR6's.:D

I'm on target to get my usual 850kms out of the tank.

Logzy
29-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I hear ya mate, but APEX'I know their stuff. It's designed to flow air smoothly on the inside where it counts. A front cap isn't a silly idea though...but you have to wonder why APEX'I do it this way to begin with. These filters are all the rage with the Supra crowd, and are a dry filament that doesn't kill / upset the MAF as oiled ones can do. Downside is they are a throw away $80 item.

http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_suction_detail.asp?id=166&pageNum=1

Greg,
What model apexi filter are you running.?

Greg Roles
29-04-2008, 09:23 PM
There's models?

I'll get the number off the box and let you know. I'm pretty sure it's a universal fit with a 75mm flange.

Logzy
30-04-2008, 02:12 PM
There's models?

I'll get the number off the box and let you know. I'm pretty sure it's a universal fit with a 75mm flange.

Thanks. 500-A026 it will be then if its the universal filter with 75mm flange.

I also noticed that they are dual cone. Therefore my comment regarding putting a dome on then end is not applicable and actually quite silly if air flows through there.:rolleyes:

90lff
06-05-2008, 07:35 AM
so no one has an idea where to get a pod filter fitted in brisbane?

Greg Roles
06-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Dude it all depends. Are you after a POD to turbo setup, or just a pod on the end of the stock stuff? The problem is that the VW isn't a commodore or falcon, so it's a bit of an unknown at regualr speed shops. I'd recommend the boys at Redcliffe Dyno if you want your car looked after by performance orientated mechanics. I'm sure the Bray's at Brendale, or any other serious, reknown performance shop around Brisbane could look after you.

Anyone could bolt a pod on ( even you dude ) BUT if it's exposed and sucking hot air, you've just LOST performance for the groovy sound. You need something in a can or box, or at LEAST with a shield.

Send Jaymz a PM as he's got VW and associated contacts here.

Greg Roles
06-05-2008, 08:11 AM
On the third tank of oil-ene and NO PROBLEMS without the Maf Grid. As per usual economy.

Grid is now permanantly relegated to the extra parts bin.

Greg Roles
06-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks. 500-A026 it will be then if its the universal filter with 75mm flange.

I also noticed that they are dual cone. Therefore my comment regarding putting a dome on then end is not applicable and actually quite silly if air flows through there.:rolleyes:

Logz it's only dual cone INSIDE. The air enters around the sides and the inner cone directs the flow. The front is blanked off, and yeah a "airplane front" nose would be a clever idea. You're not as silly as your avatar pic suggests!

Logzy
15-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Logz it's only dual cone INSIDE. The air enters around the sides and the inner cone directs the flow. The front is blanked off, and yeah a "airplane front" nose would be a clever idea. You're not as silly as your avatar pic suggests!

When i first saw the pic it did look like it only took air from around the outer sides thats why i suggested the nose cone but your comment about ......knowing their stuff made me think it must also take air in from around the inside of the cone also.

Now that its all clarified there's no doubt a nose cone would help with smoothness of flow and reduce turbulence.
Must go and order me one of those air filters you have and get modding.;)

Have you finished your install with the modshack housing yet.?
Still no probs with no MAF screen.?

mikinoz
15-05-2008, 12:54 PM
No problems with out MAF screen for me.

Had dealer upgrade ECU software and have 3rd gear wheel spin in dry under everyday acceleration - ie. with kids in car on commute!

Logzy
15-05-2008, 12:58 PM

Had dealer upgrade ECU software and have 3rd gear wheel spin in dry under everyday acceleration - ie. with kids in car on commute!

What was the ECU upgrade for.?
Are you manual or DSG.?

Mischa
15-05-2008, 01:51 PM

whered you order yours from greg? im gonna get one :)

Greg Roles
15-05-2008, 06:58 PM
whered you order yours from greg? im gonna get one :)

Fleabay USA. $129 delivered. I'm sure you could get them here at a similar cost, but I had no luck on a bit of a search.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Apexi-Power-Intake-Filter-Universal-w-Flange_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1 262QQcategoryZ38634QQihZ023QQitemZ360050770167QQtc Zphoto

75mm flange too boys. The filter has this size bell outlet anyhow.

Greg Roles
15-05-2008, 07:17 PM
When i first saw the pic it did look like it only took air from around the outer sides thats why i suggested the nose cone but your comment about ......knowing their stuff made me think it must also take air in from around the inside of the cone also.

Now that its all clarified there's no doubt a nose cone would help with smoothness of flow and reduce turbulence.
Must go and order me one of those air filters you have and get modding.;)

Have you finished your install with the modshack housing yet.?
Still no probs with no MAF screen.?

Mate the cone idea is excellent, and the perfect part is the cone off the old ford BA GT stock airfilter, from the US mustang. It has a nice nosecone which would adapt a treat. Wish I'd kept my old one! I'm sure there would be old dirty ones available for clever people to find at ford dealers. The BA GT / new mustang has the one on the right, stock.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/compare-2.jpg

Modshack housing is in, and man it's awesome. See my thread to save double posts. The whole housing unit double insulated ended up a bit over $200, but the responsiveness impressed me a lot straight away. Remains very punchy in traffic, and I haven't fully sealed it as yet! As an example I had an awesome traffic light drag with a new omega commie SV6 auto, and whilst he got a car length off the start while I slipped the clutch, I caught up in second and there was absolutely nothing between us all the way to 4th. As we caught up to the traffic ahead I gave him the thumbs up, and he must have seen my diesel sticker as he went nuts and started applauding me as I drove away. And I'd been in crawling traffic for 20 mins prior, so the punch remains in the heat. The cracker was I had my K1 kayak on the roof as well !

MAF has caused zero problems, no VAG errors, dead normal economy and running. There is no way I will be putting mine back in. Ditch it.

Also MIK I just discovered that the rear MAF grid three suspension support holder ring just pulls out rear wards, so if you grind the centre tabs rather than go the snip like I did, you can just pull the whole bit out.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/2008_0515Image0009-2.jpg

Greg Roles
15-05-2008, 07:20 PM

You must have poor tyres, that's not an option for normal driving for me!
Second sometimes....but third....not yet!:D

mikinoz
15-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Conti rubber - however I think that the roads that are around my place have grime and quite a few painted on bits that are less grippy.

Greg Roles
17-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Here's the filter details...happy reading!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/2008_0516Image0007-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/2008_0516Image0008-2.jpg