PDA

View Full Version : Removing Eurovox

doc
16-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi all

I'm new to VW's so you'll have to excuse me if I ask some ridiculous questions. I've just bought a 2001 Bora and want to replace the original Eurovox 4680 with something better. I've had a go with wires into the 4 holes on the sideof the front but it doesn't seem to want to come out.

Is that the way to remove it or is there some other sneaky way like a rear bolt?

Thanks in advance

doc

Mr İharisma
16-04-2008, 05:23 PM
To get mine out properly I had to:
From the left side, take the black side cover off ( you will see it when you open the door )
Take out the glove box ( 6 screws from memory )
That will expose 2 screws for the main frame.

Now from the other side:
Take off the same black cover ( the fuses are under there )
Take off the first cover and bottom covers
Take off the second cover and that will expose the 2 screws on the right.

Under the 4 screws and the middle console will come out. Ill see if I can find the link from vwvortex, I think there are piccies on there.

doc
16-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Gee that was quick. Thanks. Seems like a lot of work just to get a stereo out. I'd appreciate the pictures if you can locate them.

ope126
16-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Go get yourself the proper removal tools; VW / eBay etc.
Then it will come straight out.

Failing that, go to autObarn and they will remove it for you...

doc
16-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks 126. Will do.

Mr İharisma
16-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Yeah ill try and find all my piccies. I think I actually took them all step by step. The only other thing you can try is getting those thin metal removal tools and take it out but I think it was bolted in at the rear. I probably just did it the hard way but it worked :D

icacha
16-04-2008, 07:10 PM
this is what you need to get the radio out without going to the hassle of removing other panels...

http://www.deals-on-ice.co.uk/shop/images/categories/stereo%20release%20keys.jpeg

doc
16-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks icacha. I made some similar out of coat hanger wire but I've got the feeling they were too short. I'll have another go tomorrow.

Thanks all for the help.

Mr İharisma
16-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Sorry dude I can not remember about any bolts and stuff but I know when I took all the panels out it was still really hard to get out. Anywho, the guys in the UK ( vwvortex ) reckon that taking the panels out is the way to go. I gave pulling it out 10mins ( using the metal release brackets that Pioneer etc give you ) and no love so I did the following ( see piccies ).

Only took a little over an hour all up. It's a pain in the bum doing it that way but I either had a crap day or you just can not pull it out. You will need a screwdriver with H25 heads.

I would definately see if you can pull it out though!

doc
17-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Thanks all for the assistance. I'll see how I go.

Mr İharisma
17-04-2008, 06:39 PM
How did you go?

D3bb4
18-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Let us know if you manage to remove the friggin bracket too... taking the deck out wasnt an issue for me coz i bought the tool... but i cant get the friggin bracket out!!!!!!!

Cheers.

icacha
18-04-2008, 10:36 AM
bend the top and bottom down in the middle, it should pop then, careful not to break the joins when bending or you will end up with a cradle you cant use...

doc
18-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Managed to get the radio out using the longer wires and the bracket half came out with it. It was tight but just slid out.
Now I have to get the powered antenna and wiring adapters. Anyone know where to get them and what sort of price I'm looking at. I only got the car last week so I'm a little short at the moment.
Do you really need the powered antenna adapter or will the one without power do? What has everyone else done?

Also just rang the place that did the services for the previous owner and found out the cam belt wasn't done at 90,000. There's another thing I've got to find time for.

Thanks

icacha
18-04-2008, 02:19 PM
You need the antenna part to listen to AM, Fm should be ok, but you will not get any AM without it. It's $80...

Mr İharisma
19-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Do you have a 4motion dude? Major 90k service is just over $400 from VW if you do ;)

AM radio, what would we do without it.

doc
19-04-2008, 08:00 AM
No. Just the 2.0.

Can't stand AM. I can't remember the last time I listened to it on purpose. And I'm over 40!!!!!!!