PDA

View Full Version : Used sump oil into diesel.

neil
15-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Ok Guys I've got another one for you.
Check out the link below from a South Australian guy who
sells plans for you to make diesel from used sump oil.
http://www.freediesel.com.au/

Due to the cost of diesel I have been looking into Biodiesel again for
my Ute. I came across this site a few years back.

Anybody heard anything about this
Neil.

smithy010
15-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Not sure about this, but when i was racing in the world solar challenge last year, there was a mob of crazy kiwis there who had a "formula" for running a diesel engine, largely unmodified on a mixture of old sump oil and.. wait for it... water.

I was talking to the guy, and he reckons that he's developing it to a point where he'll be able to run on 99% water.

I'm a bit sceptical, but those kiwis drove all the way from darwin to Adelaide on water and sump oil that they'd picked up from garages along the way.

It can clearly be done, but i don't think i'd be doing it. You'd be better off with biodiesel, or WVO.

I'm not sure what their website is, but if you google it, you should find it.

gregozedobe
16-04-2008, 12:56 AM
I was talking to the guy, and he reckons that he's developing it to a point where he'll be able to run on 99% water.

I'm more than a bit sceptical, and I suppose the tradename for this "99%water, 1% used sump oil" wonder fuel will be "Snakeoil" ;)

Mind you, given enough electricity you CAN make hydrogen from water, and you can definitely run a car on hydrogen (of course it is much worse for the environment than just running it on petrol or diesel, but that won't stop someone from claiming the next miracle fuel)

smithy010
16-04-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm actually not that sceptical..

It is apparently highly proprietary information, but they were seriously running their diesel on 60% water and 40% oil at the time.

But hang on. I just Hijacked this thread. Back on topic people!

motk
17-04-2008, 11:27 AM
I also recall a Ford Fairlane apparently powered by tapwater in Queensland in the 70s ...