15-04-2008, 06:23 PM
what sub would you buy currently in the market or you'v seen for max $350

im looking for a 12"

i wil then get a custom tuned port box for it

and will be powered at a responce mono

i want it LOUD!

Mr İharisma
15-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Pffft thats an easy one. You want loud, DD 1512a, RRP $359. I hope you have the Jaycar with at least a kw of power to make it really move though :rolleyes:

I can e-mail you the proper box specs if you wish for a 40 and 45Hz ported tune and also the details of FHRX studios which will give you 10% off RRP.

Anything else you want to know?

BL33SU
15-04-2008, 07:03 PM
any other u recommend? DD's have ugly magnets.. i was gonna reverse mount it.

Mr İharisma
15-04-2008, 07:16 PM
If you want something else ill see what else I can find, Oz Audio Vertor 12.3 should do the job as well, they are only RRP$299 or the Treo TSi 12 at the same price, both will not handle the power that the DD can though...

Have a look at this, it is a list I did of all the possible subs of that size that I could find and there $RRP.
http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35263&d=1205114608

MKIVF
15-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Give Precision a Call - They stock a lot of good brands, George knows his stuff. Say that Don from the vwwatercooled forums told you to see him :)

Have a budget ready and everything else required and it should be easy peasy :) He will find you something around the budget that will suit your requirements.

The number is 9547 1574 and they are located at Carlton right near Hurstville.

I have always been extremely happy with George's advice and as you can see I am a loyal customer because of this.

Mr İharisma
15-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Georgy, lol he is a funny bloke. He seems to like blowing up Boston 10.5lf's. The only problem with precision is they don't stock a lot of brands. In that price bracket and loud, they only have the Alpine Type R, Boston G2 and stock Eclipse, Nakamachi, Rainbow. All nice gear but $$$ to get loud.

If you want a custom install, I would only go to see or George at Precision or Marty at FRHX. Mention me at Precision and he will probably slap you, mention me at FHRX and you will get 10% off :D

So far it would have to be:
DD 1512
Treo TSi
OZ Vector 12.3
Hertz ES300.3 ( NEW )
PPI PCX 124

For loud, booming bass. If it was SQ, there are lots more options.

BL33SU
15-04-2008, 08:37 PM
lol yeh went to marty ages ago wen he was at engadine area..

was looking at that file.. in the under $300 and under $400

which 1 from those 2 would be the loudest in a ported box for each price range...

Mr İharisma
15-04-2008, 09:10 PM
lol yeh went to marty ages ago wen he was at engadine area..

was looking at that file.. in the under $300 and under $400

which 1 from those 2 would be the loudest in a ported box for each price range...

Under $300
DD512
Oz Vector 12.3
Treo TSi
PPI PCX 124

Under $400
DD1512
Crossfire BMF
Orion XTR
MTX

MKIVF
15-04-2008, 09:21 PM
The only problem with precision is they don't stock a lot of brands. In that price bracket and loud, they only have the Alpine Type R, Boston G2 and stock Eclipse, Nakamachi, Rainbow. All nice gear but $$$ to get loud.

Worth giving Precision a call anyway given they do stock other products. A good sub with a good enclosure has the ability to generate a lot of noise :)

Lawl, he blew up what now? Didn't seem to hate my 10.5lf too much :)

Mr İharisma
15-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Worth giving Precision a call anyway given they do stock other products. A good sub with a good enclosure has the ability to generate a lot of noise :)

Lawl, he blew up what now? Didn't seem to hate my 10.5lf too much :)

I'm sorry dude but loud = DD. Just picture it this way, the entry 512 which is under $250 will handle 750WRMS :o I think someone used 2 of them and hit 145db. Not bad for entry level. My Oz ME is great value for money, 140oz magnet for $500 but its bit up from your budget hence why I suggested the Vector series. The Treo and Crossfire gear always gets up and boogies. Boston and Hertz subs will sound great, but not loud in comparison. Another thing that will determine what you get is available coil configurations. If you want loud you will need to run your Jaycar @ 1ohm, if the single sub is not able to at least get to a single 2ohm then its not worth looking at.

You should look at what 4 of the OZ ME can do a smallish golf sized car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXt4V0d9Lco

Celestine
15-04-2008, 09:51 PM
I'd agree with the above of the DD's and the Crossfires. Both are SPL oriented but the problem is, you're going to have to feed it decent amount of power to push them effectively. I'm uncertain as to the amount of power the response mono blocks push, so if you can post up the specifics, it might also help :)

Mr İharisma
15-04-2008, 09:56 PM
I'd agree with the above of the DD's and the Crossfires. Both are SPL oriented but the problem is, you're going to have to feed it decent amount of power to push them effectively. I'm uncertain as to the amount of power the response mono blocks push, so if you can post up the specifics, it might also help :)

Well depending on the model, the minimum power he will have is 800WRMS @ 1ohm and could have up to 1500WRMS @ 1ohm.

icacha
16-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Yeah well that is the other side of things. Well I heard of an ethnic guy named George who kept needed re-cone kits for his 10.5lf. I'm not sure if that was IACHA or not.

1. You can't spell for a convict, thats coming from an ethic who was born and raised here... BTW you should watch what you say as Marty and I do talk, often! Things do have a way of getting around between Marty and I...

2. Yes I did own Boston 10LF back in 1990 and it was the amps fault and no I didn't get them reconed, my friends who are the importers now, previously Falk Electo Sound originally located in Rockdale then Waterloo replaced them under warranty.

I did blow up my 12.5 twice though so we where neck and neck till I replaced the 12.5 with a G5 and then blew that. Apparently I was the first in the country...

You were the first tool in the country? Seems about right to me reading how you come across on many forums you seem to be a member of with little if any car audio experience like your mate Averson...

Regards,
George

BL33SU
16-04-2008, 10:45 AM
thanks for the input..

looks like i might be headn towards the DD..

how much does a custom box for it cost at fhrx roughly? i was planning to go to doran.

i want just in plain wood so i can vinyl it myself.

also i want it to sorta suit my boot.. so i would want the correct specs eg. volume but want the box 90cm in width... so can they change the shape but keep the volume same?

MKIVF
16-04-2008, 10:58 AM
That was a pretty quick decision.

Have you heard the DD before? Or are you basing your selection on one reccomendation?

I've heard an 8 inch in a good box that had me thinking there was at least a 12inch pumping away in the boot.

Sub performance is dictated by not only the sub selection, but the fabrication of a box that is tuned properly to your car. Having something like a RE XXX, CV Stroker Pro being fed a shat load of power tends to help the cause, but you'd be suprised how many decibels a good set up would extract from a small sub.

I had the pleasure of scaring a few people with my 10.5lf in a small sealed box. I'd hate to imagine what I could have done in a larger ported box tuned to my car.

Mr İharisma
16-04-2008, 10:58 AM
1. You can't spell for a convict, thats coming from an ethic who was born and raised here... BTW you should watch what you say as Marty and I do talk, often! Things do have a way of getting around between Marty and I...

2. Yes I did own Boston 10LF back in 1990 and it was the amps fault and no I didn't get them reconed, my friends who are the importers now, previously Falk Electo Sound originally located in Rockdale then Waterloo replaced them under warranty.

You were the first tool in the country? Seems about right to me reading how you come across on many forums you seem to be a member of with little if any car audio experience like your mate Averson...

Regards,
George

Yeah that was me. Total accident though. I am only a member of 4 forums, aussiemagna ( I had 2 Magna's ), here ( now I drive a VW ), Ozhonda ( We have a honda ) and CEA. Was a member of hot4's but yeah that was ages ago.

I am sorry but I have no idea who Averson is?!? I know you and Marty talk all the time, all you guys in Sydney are pretty tight net, I am sorry that the joke went to far. :)

Mr İharisma
16-04-2008, 11:02 AM
That was a pretty quick decision.

Have you heard the DD before? Or are you basing your selection on one reccomendation?

I've heard an 8 inch in a good box that had me thinking there was at least a 12inch pumping away in the boot.

Sub performance is dictated by not only the sub selection, but the fabrication of a box that is tuned properly to your car. Having something like a RE XXX, CV Stroker Pro being fed a shat load of power tends to help the cause, but you'd be suprised how many decibels a good set up would extract from a small sub.

I had the pleasure of scaring a few people with my 10.5lf in a small sealed box. I'd hate to imagine what I could have done in a larger ported box tuned to my car.

Pfft I gave him at least 4 to choose from, now it is up to him to go out and Audition them to find which is best for him ;)

A custom box from Precison or FHRX will definately bring out the full potential of any sub. But you have to consider coil configuration, space, weight etc before choosing one.

MKIVF
16-04-2008, 11:06 AM
It seems like a lot of reccomendations are pulled directly off the FHRX website. Not that I have any problem with FHRX but there are other products out there from people to chose from. Not a personal jab, but it seems like a lot of what is recommended on forums by many people is a copy and paste from FHRX. j: Even worse, not many people have actually heard what they recommend. :?

BL33SU
16-04-2008, 11:11 AM
if its loud.. il take it!!

MKIVF
16-04-2008, 11:14 AM

It could be sloppy as all hell though. :? Nothing worse then having something droning and slapping away in your ear as you drive.

What kind of music do you listen to? By the sounds of it, I'd say Hip Hop/RnB? j:

Mr İharisma
16-04-2008, 11:28 AM
It seems like a lot of reccomendations are pulled directly off the FHRX website. Not that I have any problem with FHRX but there are other products out there from people to chose from. Not a personal jab, but it seems like a lot of what is recommended on forums by many people is a copy and paste from FHRX. j: Even worse, not many people have actually heard what they recommend. :?

Yeah it is hard though as not many other people have the range. I think it is also confused that it also only recommended to go see them there. You can usually tell a good audio place by how long you have you wait to get in. Both Precison and FHRX are constantly booked out.

I remember I tested like 4 subs before I settled on one, Crossfire XT, Vibe Space, Hertz HXS, Boston G5 and I settled on the Boston as it was the best for me, Auditioning is the key. Then I heard and fell in love with the Oz ME but yeah I had the G5 for 2 or 3 years and I still have a soft spot for them :rolleyes: But that is just me.

BL33SU
16-04-2008, 11:39 AM
It could be sloppy as all hell though. :? Nothing worse then having something droning and slapping away in your ear as you drive.

What kind of music do you listen to? By the sounds of it, I'd say Hip Hop/RnB? j:

il try listen to a few.. not much time to shop around.

yeh hiphop/rnb and some dance.

Mr İharisma
16-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Well now that George is here, why don't you organise to go and see him??

Fire him a PM or give him a call.

icacha
16-04-2008, 12:09 PM

2 factors to consider which most people dont know or fail to mention to people wanting BIG bass...

1. Car

2. Box

everything else matters little...

I know of a dealer in SA who got 148db from two entry level 10" woofers which handle 300wrms each... Maybe forum experts know more than us in the industry :)

icacha
16-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah that was me. Total accident though. I am only a member of 4 forums, aussiemagna ( I had 2 Magna's ), here ( now I drive a VW ), Ozhonda ( We have a honda ) and CEA. Was a member of hot4's but yeah that was ages ago.

I am sorry but I have no idea who Averson is?!? I know you and Marty talk all the time, all you guys in Sydney are pretty tight net, I am sorry that the joke went to far. :)

Got nothing against you or others, but its funny how people pull their heads in when they know forums are being watched by people who know more and dont tell fibs about products :)

icacha
16-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Well now that George is here, why don't you organise to go and see him??

Fire him a PM or give him a call.

Thanks mate, but not interested in building doof doof cars, thats not what I see as enjoyment, its not about the doof, its about the music! :)

Any halfwit can put too much bass in a car, to make it sound good, thats another story :)

Mr İharisma
16-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Dude are you gunna hang round? We really need more people here like you that can really help people. All I can do is suggest things but can not do to much about it obviously ( I am not the one with the flashy shop ) ;)

BL33SU
16-04-2008, 12:15 PM
well the car is a sedan.. i know it wont be as loud as a hatch..

and will be using a custom box made up by whoeva i go to.

icacha
16-04-2008, 12:17 PM
I got more work on that I can get out the door, I do visit forums, but only reply when there is something worth replying unless I'm cracking a joke or stating the obvious which thin skinned people seem to think is having a go at them :)

I got a mate (whom I worked with many moons ago and owns more VW's than most on here) on here which has told me the BS that goes on in the audio section, but is reluctant to respond, instead he sits back and has a laugh at the mis-information that goes on :)

icacha
16-04-2008, 12:19 PM
well the car is a sedan.. i know it wont be as loud as a hatch..

you missed my point and who said a sedan cant go as loud as a hatch? :)

back to work for me :(

icacha
16-04-2008, 12:21 PM
( I am not the one with the flashy shop ) ;)

Come in when your in Syd next, we'll have a coffee and a laugh :)

Mr İharisma
16-04-2008, 12:23 PM
I got more work on that I can get out the door, I do visit forums, but only reply when there is something worth replying unless I'm cracking a joke or stating the obvious which thin skinned people seem to think is having a go at them :)

I got a mate (whom I worked with many moons ago and owns more VW's than most on here) on here which has told me the BS that goes on in the audio section, but is reluctant to respond, instead he sits back and has a laugh at the mis-information that goes on :)

Yeah I can imagine. I have never heard a joke from you yet, perhaps you should enlighten us. :D

Forums are made up of opinions, right or wrong. Thats why people like yourself need to try and visit more often and why some people should take it apon themselves to go out and talk to the industry leaders. Yeah I don't go to Syndey often ( for personal trips ) but I would love to check out the shop!

lol get back to work!

BL33SU
18-04-2008, 08:41 PM
would you choose a soundstream t4-12 or DD 1512a if you wanted loud?

deemoE36
18-04-2008, 10:12 PM
i still got my xplode 12000w which i bought on sale 3 years ago for 95 bucks, and its kickin!

Mr İharisma
19-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Have you had a listen to either?

Personally I would go the DD as much as I don't like the way they sound, I heard one of those SS sub and it was worse ( it was a 15 ). It was probably the box or the amp but I would be very cautious to ever use one.

The main thing is that both will take the punishment of day in day out abuse. Just make sure you get the proper box and a pair of ear muffs, not for the SPL, but for the sound... :D