PDA

View Full Version : loon to the rescue once more

Rednut
15-04-2008, 04:55 PM
So the gearbox locked up in 3rd the other day.. got a free tow to newcastle gearbox and diff. i dropped in today to investigate.. the list of problems was very disappointing...and long :/

was quoted $363 all up if i supply the box and clutch.
an extra $1300 if i need them to get me a referb box
an extra $600 if i need a new clutch and flywheel blah blah blah..

orrrrrrrr alternatively, i ring loon (derrr)
$650 for referb box
$350 for new clutch kit
$66 for freight

so all up its gonna set me back another $1500 but its much better than $2500. i wouldnt be as pissed off with it if i was still working.. altho i have an interview tomorrow...

so the rego,slips,insurance,repairs,parts over the past 2 months should be close to $3000 after tomorrow.....saving-go-bye-bye :'(

the engine should be next to go.. lol

Cupra
15-04-2008, 05:22 PM
God bless him

Rednut
16-04-2008, 09:53 PM
and his pommie socks!

DUB 20V
16-04-2008, 09:59 PM
hey loon who rebuilds the gear boxes for you, do you replace alll the bearing so there are no noises

evorobin
16-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Do you need a new clutch :confused:

Golf Loon
17-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Thanks guys, I aim to please.

I have an old fella that loves gearboxes who takes em apart and checks em over. The price I gave Rednut is for a secondhand box, but I didn`t have any in stock, so he got a refurbed one for the same price :)

A refurbed one is usually $1100 and has been taken apart and checked over and had parts replaced as appropriate.

A fully recod box is $2000 and has all new bearings, diff bolt kit and a new reverse gear.

I`d always to the clutch whilst the box is out, as I cant be arsed to do jobs twice.

I reckon Rednut is getting a good deal on labour from the guys fitting his gearbox. I hope they do a good job. Sounds like they know what they are doing.

Rednut
18-04-2008, 11:20 AM
HES BACK...AGAIN..

the end result was 418 instead of 363. looks like the flywheel machining was added after the quote.

labour- r&r transmission & clutch (it says quantity of 5?) $330

parts - flywheel machining - $55
gearbox oil (quantity 2.5?) $33

i am a bit disappointed with the new items tho, its like driving a new car.. :( I LIKED MY OLD ONE!!!!!

ive stalled it 5 times already trying to get used to it.. the friction point is now about.. 10mm from the floor.. instead of being between.. 40-80mm. the distance between gears is alot shorter now and the gearstick is lower in the centre console which means the leather cover doesnt do the job right..looks like the elastic has been stretched too far so it doesnt sit on the knob on its own(will have to use a rubber band or somem to fix that)
also, whilst changing gears, the car jumps a bit, but i think thats me not using the right amount of gas/clutch.. plus all the old parts are in the boot which would affect the weight n stuff in the car.
anyways.. time to use some fuel and get to know my boys new lungs.

thanks to newcastle gearbox and diff & especially to loon!!!!!

Golf Loon
18-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Thats a good price mate. Glad the story had a happy ending.
It`d be worth checking your rear engine mount, they are often cactus and I usually change em while the box is out. That could cause kangerooing too. That was probably the original clutch, so good to see you are keeping up on the servicing of that beast.

evorobin
18-04-2008, 11:53 AM
the friction point is now about.. 10mm from the floor..

You can adjust that. Had the same thing after mine was sat around waiting for the new head.

Rednut
21-04-2008, 10:05 AM
i think it'll be fine, kinda used to it already now, i think it was just the initial change. doesnt hop any more, just the issue of the exhaust now, which as i said to loon, i think was caused by bouncing around on the tow truck.. im not car literate but would suspect that exhaust has nothing to do with a gearbox and clutch change.
ive gotta head back to that mechanic again soon to get the other handbrake cable installed so i'll see if he can check that out at the same time.

i finally landed another job so i'll be able to put a few more queenheads into the seat and go for a new exhaust system next(nothing fancy). brakes and tires will probably follow then new engine.

again, yay for loon! :)

evorobin
21-04-2008, 10:25 AM
If you upgrade the brakes get 256 discs as the number of times I've wanted to fit 14's when swapping wheels tyres and you can't. Yesterdays cruise only saw one big brake moment and std 239 GTI brakes would have been fine. It's only repeated big stops that fries em. Done one trackday since the 280's went on...

Rednut
08-05-2008, 10:52 AM
almost back to full operation now. im used to the new clutch and havent stalled it since the day it was fitted. the bad rattling and vibration was the lack of 2 rubbers holding the exhaust in place. i went to supercheap and bought a few and fitted them in the carpark(i fixed something myself!! lol). got a call from the mechanic advising my other handbrake cable from spain is in. so i just gotta wait till next weeks pay to head down there to get that all sorted, then its clear sailing again!
also, my local servo has 98 again.

all is good on the western front, employed again, and the mrs has been promoted to store manager. happy dayz

gldgti
08-05-2008, 05:58 PM
good to hear mate.

if you ever do anything about hte exhaust, dont think that fancy is expensive..... if you want a section replaced (commonly cat back) a custom fabbed up system is always cheaper than replacing parts with new standard ones.... so you might as well go bigger, hehe.