PDA

View Full Version : A word of warning about T4 CV boots.

Seano
15-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Whatever you do....don't ask for genuine CV boots for the front inner and outer CV joints under a late model T4.

Just the parts for one driveshaft (that's two boots and retaining clips) cost......wait for it...$161.40.

Eighty bucks a boot!!!!

Even the service manager did a double take.......and then apologised.

The slipper really got sunk in when I was told that they had replaced a thrid boot on the opposite shaft and found (since they didn't have the genuine part - thank Huey) that a universal boot fitted......and it cost me just $10.

<sigh>

ope126
15-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Mate, Inner CV Boots for a MK4 GTI are $66.00 Genuine.
Supposably they do not make aftermarket Inners, only Outers.
(I know this as they are going on this weekend.)

Either way someone has to pay for it.

jets
15-04-2008, 10:34 PM
I don't know if you read my article on CV joint servicing but I only paid just under $20 for an outer boot kit made by the original supplier Lobro. Every thing was identical except for the VW logo that was missing. I am sure the inner kit would be even cheaper.
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=13841

Seano
16-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah Jets I saw your post....which is bloody good by the way....unfortunately access to VW parts in the sticks is limited by time & knowledge. Both my own and that of the parts interpreter at the dealership (which is not principally a VW dealer). We get by as well as we can but in the end it has been a learning experience for both.

And I just didn't have the time & inclination to do the job myself.

I'll know for next time....