PDA

View Full Version : Down She Goes

MK2 GTI
25-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi all, I lowered my car on saturday thanks to aliasmk2, just thought id show some pics. I also put different wheels on it. The first picture doesn't really show how high it used to be cause of the lighting.

Before Hand:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/cdavies/i104620368_95965_2.jpg

Afterwards:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/cdavies/mk2gti006Small.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/cdavies/mk2gti001Small.jpg

alex g
25-07-2006, 08:54 PM
ahh yes very nice, some vr bbs's??

MK2 GTI
25-07-2006, 09:04 PM
yeh the ones before hand came off a passat vr6 and these ones came off a golf vr6. If anyone wants the rims off the first pic make an offer (One is damaged pretty bad, you can still drive on it but i wouldn't recomend it) The rest have little tiny scuffs round em just usual stuff on a daily.

GoLfMan
25-07-2006, 09:16 PM
mate love the new look with the VR rims on it... mint :D

gtimk5
25-07-2006, 09:37 PM
:) Looks great! Handle any better? Good onya :)

joshyd-mk2gti
25-07-2006, 09:49 PM
looking good. i like the blacked out rear lights. howd you go about lowering it??

Golf Loon
25-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Sweet Wheels. Is that full bolt on stuff from VR6? Hubs and rear discs?

Satanstoenail
25-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Nice one, it looks way cool. Coilovers? The wheels are much better as well.

86gti
26-07-2006, 12:09 AM
:D tuff tuff!! whats next to come ? :)

RedMk2Gti
26-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Sweet number plate 8-)

MK2 GTI
26-07-2006, 07:02 PM
GTIMK5- Yeh Handles alot better, i thought the ride was going to be really rough but i was willing to sacrifice that but its turned out alot better than i thought.

joshyd-mk2gti - I bought compressed springs off aliasmk2, they were in the for sale section. Didn't get new shockers because the ones on them now are only 2 years old so ill wait till they give me trouble then change them.

Loon - I bought the car with the conversion but from what i can see the rears are just VR6 discs, VR6 bearings, VR6 calipers and VR6 caliper bracket, pretty much bolt on. The front looks to be VR6 Hubs (Not sure if there pressed into the MK2 bearings or VR6 bearings or if there the same), VR6 Lower control arm, VR6 Ball joint, VR6 Disc, VR6 Caliper and VR6 calliper bracket. The only problem is the lower control arm is longer than the mk2 one so the car has a bit of camber i used to be able to get away with it but now i lowered it the alignment guy reckons i should fix it up, Im going to get a camber bolt thing they sell on ebay. The guy who done it (2 owners ago) comes into work every now and then so i will ask him what he changed. Ive never seen VR6 in one paragraph so many times lol.

86 GTI - I havn't thought about it yet, just little things really like get a new side indicator (fell off), Get a new electric arial (Fell Off) and fit the rear door i bought off loon (Old doors bent and got a dint in it)

sorry to write an essay.

gtimk5
26-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Win win situation. Good to here mate. They do handle very well lowered. Pretty effortless to punt around corners hard. Good on you! :)

Valver.
26-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Looks good :D

Satanstoenail
26-07-2006, 09:17 PM
So how many mm drop is that exactly? And how does it go on speed humps? Any rubbing? Sorry to interrogate, it's just I'm wanting to do mine soon and I need all the info I can get... if I can get away with wacking on a set of lowering springs I'll be well happy... :cool:

MK2 GTI
26-07-2006, 09:39 PM
well when the car wasn't low it rubbed on the rears but on the inside. So i bought some spacers off dubstar and was going to put them on. When i was putting the springs in i saw where it was rubbing and smacked it in with a hammer (lol i know its dodgy). It hasn't rubbed at all yet, even with a full carload, except when i turn corners full lock and fast but i hardly ever do that. The lower lip on the front cops it really hard, the part where it joins in the middle always splits apart, I dont bother putting it back together now. Aliasmk2 said the box said they dropped 30mm but he reckons it looked more like 50mm on his car. I don't think my old springs were stock though.

Satanstoenail
26-07-2006, 10:09 PM
well when the car wasn't low it rubbed on the rears but on the inside. So i bought some spacers off dubstar and was going to put them on. When i was putting the springs in i saw where it was rubbing and smacked it in with a hammer (lol i know its dodgy). It hasn't rubbed at all yet, even with a full carload, except when i turn corners full lock and fast but i hardly ever do that. The lower lip on the front cops it really hard, the part where it joins in the middle always splits apart, I dont bother putting it back together now. Aliasmk2 said the box said they dropped 30mm but he reckons it looked more like 50mm on his car. I don't think my old springs were stock though.

Thanks for that. Yeah it definately looks nice and low. lol at the hammering of the inner arch.... :D

Golf Loon
28-07-2006, 12:54 AM
Sweet, Glad its all working out. Go the pounded rear arch!