PDA

View Full Version : Headunit for TDI Jetta 2008

Kaj
14-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Hiyas, looking to purchase a Jetta in the comming weeks however am unsure about what I can do with the HU in the car without compromising functionality.

If i replace the stock system with an Alpine system such as CDE-9882Ri will I lose any functionality in Bluetooth or steering wheel controls?

Are there warranty issues as a result of doing this?

Can I keep the LCD panel above it as well as putting in an aftermarket HU?

anthony
15-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Good luck with your purchase of a Jetta,keep us updated.
You will love it.

STV4SYT
16-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Hiyas, looking to purchase a Jetta in the comming weeks however am unsure about what I can do with the HU in the car without compromising functionality.

If i replace the stock system with an Alpine system such as CDE-9882Ri will I lose any functionality in Bluetooth or steering wheel controls?

Are there warranty issues as a result of doing this?

Can I keep the LCD panel above it as well as putting in an aftermarket HU?

If u gonna spend the $$ on a high end alpine unit, why not get the RNS510 as its designed for the car and is quite fancy.

Kaj
16-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Cheers for the reply,

The RNS510 is 3k,, the Alpine unit is $500 and I already own an incar GPS I can mount so it doesn't really add up for me.

My first objective is to be able to run a sub in the car and replace the front speakers. However USB connectivity to an Ipod would be very handy as well, thus my question about putting in an aftermarket HU for the outs and USB.

icacha
16-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Have a look at this...

http://www.eclipse-web.com.au/Site/Product/Product.aspx?ProductID=93c017b4-45ca-102b-b5be-3e5906103f0c&CategoryID=03edb1d6-406c-102b-b5be-3e5906103f0c

For $429 retail you get bluetooth (ready for streaming bluetooth audio (selected phones at the moment), usb, ipod control, cd and so on as a standard.

You also get 3yr warranty if installed by the authorised dealer...

Thats if you don't have a unit already...

Kaj
17-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Cool,, not being familiar with that brand,, how does it compare with the Alpine? Can't find many reviews on it.

zedub
17-04-2008, 02:17 PM
eclipse good! alpine average (in my opinion)
nakamichi the shiznit

STV4SYT
17-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Or one of these.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=12612&goto=newpost

MKIVF
17-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Cool,, not being familiar with that brand,, how does it compare with the Alpine? Can't find many reviews on it.

Checking it out soon. By all reports it should be good. A quick search reveals a lot of sq orientated users prefer the 3200 > alpine products. I'll get back to you Barry

Mr İharisma
17-04-2008, 08:16 PM
eclipse good! alpine average (in my opinion)
nakamichi the shiznit

That is a bold statement....

zedub
17-04-2008, 08:40 PM
That is a bold statement....

which is why i said "in my opinion"

Kaj
17-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Alright lets say the Eclipse then,, aren't I still running into the problem of replacing a 2 DIN stock system with a single? A newbie question but are there fascias to cover this?

Will I lose steering wheel volume control by doing this?

Are ppl's recomendations to pass on the 'genuine' VW Bluetooth kit and go for something aftermarket such as the Parrot here.. ?

http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/VWsteer2.htm

icacha
18-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Alright lets say the Eclipse then,, aren't I still running into the problem of replacing a 2 DIN stock system with a single? A newbie question but are there fascias to cover this?

yes fascia's are available here in Australia.

Will I lose steering wheel volume control by doing this?

if you look carefully you only have volume to lose so its no big loss :)

Are ppl's recomendations to pass on the 'genuine' VW Bluetooth kit and go for something aftermarket such as the Parrot here.. ?

http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/VWsteer2.htm

if the genuine is parrot, leave it, if your not happy then change it, eclipse also have parrot kits designed to plug and play with their units

Kaj
19-04-2008, 07:55 PM
wonder if the dealer will be able to tell me what brand it is.. otherwise its a $700 exercise to find out ;)