PDA

View Full Version : Waiting list for GTI Golf ?

Subie25L
25-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Hello all,

Well wifey is looking to possibly buy a GTI (DSG) to replace her 1.3l auto charade :-D -
I'll be driving it mostly as my Lib will go into semi retirement and the GTI will be the daily driver as the lib has almost 185,000km on it now.

So i'm just starting to do some research on the Golf GTI and from what i can tell from all the reviews is it is a great car. We haven't test driven one yet, only a 2.0FSI auto a couple of months back which i loved driving.

So what is the current waiting list like for it? Everyone i speak to says anything from 4 - 12 months. I don't realy want to speek to a dealer yet as they usually wont stop calling after you make it known your interested.

Thanks for reading.

worm
25-07-2006, 05:44 PM
12 months last I checked (which was about 3 months ago). Why not buy second hand, save a packet and it would have been just run in.

gtimk5
25-07-2006, 09:34 PM
I heard somewhere that Barloworld had a heap sitting on display.
I think that VW might have caught up a bit and that the wait could be as little as a couple of months, depending on the spec.
They are a great car, for sure and the DSGs are quicker than the manuals.
I nearly live in mine and grab any excuse to drive it!!! Keep in touch and let us know what you find out. A big welcome to you and I hope you enjoy the forum, Andrew :) :)

TassieGTi
25-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Hi. I agree with Worm.....go for a second hand MK5 GTI DSG. There is a Jan 06 MK5GTI DSG for sale on the Audi forum with 2100kms...yes...2100kms on the clock! The owner wants to sell to buy an R32!! He would be happy with a figure close to $40K!! Save yourself some $ :)

Subie25L
26-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi. I agree with Worm.....go for a second hand MK5 GTI DSG. There is a Jan 06 MK5GTI DSG for sale on the Audi forum with 2100kms...yes...2100kms on the clock! The owner wants to sell to buy an R32!! He would be happy with a figure close to $40K!! Save yourself some $ :)

OK, I called VW Hornsby in Sydney and they advised that they have some in stock adepending on what spec i wanted. They did say that there could be a wait of up to 4 months (worst case) depending if i ordered something that the didn't have in Australia.

Second hand sounds good - Will definatly have a look arround when we are ready to buy.

Doggie
27-07-2006, 11:36 PM
I bought mine from Barloworld and only had to wait 3 weeks. Depends ultimtely on what spec you want but I got my black, sunroof and leather (just gotta have this option as it comes standard with heated seats which the wife just loves!!) in double quick time. I think thee used to be long wait lists but those days are by and large gone

Dr Spine
25-08-2006, 07:31 PM
The wait for a GTI will depend on what you order with it. There is one in metallic blue at my local dealer (still there) I could have bought 2 months ago, but I wanted it in red with DSG and sunroof therefore it had to be made from scratch. My dealer has now given me the VIN for the car and I can use this to track where it is up to on the website of the company charged with shipping it to Australia. I know the name of the ship and the date of arrival in Brisbane port. It will take about 2-3 weeks from then until I take delivery from the dealer. All up about a 5 month wait.

Dr Spine
25-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Does anyone else find it interesting that VW Australia isn't advertising the GTI. For such an amazing car you'd think they'd promote it more....maybe they feel they don't need to. My experience is that I had no awareness if it until I walked past one at my local Subaru dealer (also VW) thinking of another Suby.....and I had to do a double take....wow! what a great looking car. I ordered mine within 2 weeks of some internet research and a test drive.
How many sales are VW missing out on for want of a good add campaign. Have you seen the great GTI adds on the American www.vw.com website?

I wanted to buy GTI floormats.......sorry, don't make them and not planning to. Wanted to buy GTI clothing.....sorry, same story. Have to import that from the USA. You'd think they'd be keen to build a cult following for the GTI and provide plenty of merchandise. Any thoughts?

gtimk5
25-08-2006, 07:45 PM
If you bought a secondhand one for around $40,000 by the time you tranfser the rego ect it would add up a fair bit. Go with a new one!!:D

gtimk5
25-08-2006, 07:54 PM
I spose the backlog on orders has been embarassing for them Thats why we got the Polo GTI earlier than England. To try and entice Golf GTI buyers that weren't prepared to wait, at one stage 11 months!
The GTIs do come with mats as std, though they aren't marked GTI.
They had GTI jackets 12 months ago. Limited supply. Same with the R32 jackets which are available at present. I am getting one given to me for sending heaps of people down to buy their TDIs, wow.
VWA are very poor with promoting the golf, polo GTIs and also the R32. They do have 1/43 models of the Golf GTI for sale at the moment. Only in 2 dr. Cheers, Andrew:)

brackie
26-08-2006, 07:13 AM
Yes, I agree that VWA need to lift their game in a lot of areas. After the purchase of my TDI I was contacted by them to fill out a "Customer Satisfaction" questionnaire, followed by 'phone calls from the dealer when I didn't complete it and post it in. I rang the helpline and told the call centre operator that I considered the questionnaire to be a vehicle for the gathering of personal data that could be passed on to other agencies and used for their benefit. The first part of the questioning seemed OK and was relevant to the marketing of the car, but it soon lapsed into the, "What magazines do you buy....?" area which I regard as a blatant invasion of my privacy and information gathering that could be used by other commercial enterprises.

VWA would be better off spending their profits on better advertising of the product and the development of merchandise that is obviously in demand.

Anyway, Dr, the wait for your Golf will be well worth it.

Dr Spine
26-08-2006, 08:31 AM
I just wonder who at VW Australia is responsible for promotion. The GTI is easily a superior product to the WRX (have had one) and look what subaru managed to do with it. Mind you, I like the exclusivity in driving a GTI. Even the local 18 yr olds have wrx's now. They're not as special as they used to be. The GTI is a much classier, better built and engineered car.

I didn't realize the GTI comes standard with mats so thanks for the info. I get mine in about 3-4 weeks. GTI embossed mats would have been cool though.

Is there a GTI drivers club in south east Queensland? There's some great countryside about here for a cruize.

TassieGTi
26-08-2006, 10:29 AM
If you bought a secondhand one for around $40,000 by the time you tranfser the rego ect it would add up a fair bit. Go with a new one!!:D

Buying a new car is a great experience, but you lose a few grand as soon as you drive out of the dealer. The example I made reference to was an 06 with DSG with 2000km and sunroof for $40K + transfer of reg obviously :) Compare to new ($42 990) + sunroof ($1890) + metallic/pearl paint ($690) is $45 570 + dealer delivery, stamp duty, third party and rego!

Save time waiting and about $6k or spend it on a nice set of 19s :)

Dr Spine
26-08-2006, 02:30 PM
I have got mine, DSG, sunroof completely on the road with no more to pay for $44800. Some dealerships are much better to deal with than others. If anyone wants to know the dealer just ask me. I agree that a near new one is better (and cheaper) but you don't always find exactly what you want, when you want it and it's easy to be impatient with a car this good. Waiting 5 months has been bad enough.
I had said that I'd never buy a new car again (let some other guy lose a few grand I said), but sometimes to get just what you want you need to just jump in and go for it.

gtimk5
26-08-2006, 04:17 PM
And if you get the computer chipped/flashed you will find the cars true potential! They are very conservatately tuned std. Ask anyone who has had it done. Enjoy your GTI! :)

brackie
26-08-2006, 05:39 PM
All up my TDI cost ~$35.5k. I bought it from Jackson's (the only new VW dealer in Tassie) and today I got the Launceston "Examiner" and low and behold here's Jacksons selling a 2005 TDI identical to mine except for colour and DSG instead of manual, with ~16,000km on it for ~$36k. Now......If mine "depreciates" at that rate I'll be very happy :)
http://home.iprimus.com.au/mundy/vw/mk5sale.jpg

gtimk5
26-08-2006, 05:43 PM
My GTI was stock, on the road for less than $44,000. No options. Mainland Oz has cheaper deals, $1000 less in dealer delivery costs for a start:)

Dr Spine
30-08-2006, 06:03 PM
What does "chipping" the GTI do for fuel economy?

gtimk5
30-08-2006, 07:25 PM
It improved the economy around the roads.The other week when I had to drive 270 kms to the boat to go to the Melbourne thing, I sat on 120km/h and averaged 7.3 litres per hundred. That is with the full exhaust. Before I changed the exhaust the average on a trip like that was 6.9, that was with the "flash".
Going 10kms to work from cold the average in the tiny bit of traffic works out at 9.8 per 100. The exhaust does make it a little bit heavier. used to be 9.1. I accelerate quickly off the lights. Huge gains in power are achieved with the flash.
Mind you, after the car had done 30/40 flat out laps of Sandown the half a tank of fuel had gone and the average was 29.4/ 100!!!!!
You would never drive like that on the roads. It was pulling in excess of 200 km/h on the main straight and 190/195 up the back straight! The new R32s there couldn't stay with it by a long shot.
I am not out to cause any chip arguments or discussions on this forum as I am sure they all have there merits but APR do offer a free 6 hours of driving free trial so you can see what sort of difference it makes. Worth a try over a weekend! :)

aprr32
30-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Apr also do a different programme for GTI's that have a bigger exhaust(about 20 hp) and after doing a couple of each the difference is easy to pick, and who cares about fuel economy, no point having 200KW's if you only use 100 of them.