PDA

View Full Version : "trimming" springs.

ScienceVR6
14-04-2008, 07:07 PM
As i need to replace my rear shocks, i'm considering "Adjusting" my ride hight.

I have what apear to be Eibcah springs, but it still sits too high in the rear. Could i "trim" some excess of the rear springs?

WABIT
14-04-2008, 07:08 PM
of course you can... anyone can

wabit

Jarred
14-04-2008, 07:12 PM
mikita can!

if you are going to chop springs, do it with a hack saw. Although with the Eibach springs you might not be able too.

Standard springs, kings, etc, are all constant velocity (i think that's what they're called) so they are symetrical all the way up and down. Your eibachs may be tapered (ie the coils are different sizes up and down the spring) these springs cant (well shouldn't) be chopped.

The best suggestion would be to go to a place and get the springs reset. it'll cost you a few bucks, but much safer and comfier than choppy's.

just my 2C

Mischa
14-04-2008, 07:16 PM
why not go for something like mk3pete just did?

ScienceVR6
14-04-2008, 07:43 PM
why not go for something like mk3pete just did?
couse i have no cash, these new shocks, are his old shocks!

mk3pete
14-04-2008, 07:55 PM
they were actually golf3s old shocks there out of his wrecked 95 vr i had to get his cause i bent my rear beam in a bit of a prang and i bent my left shocker arm so yeah had to get replacment

rayray086
14-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Your eibachs may be tapered (ie the coils are different sizes up and down the spring) these springs cant (well shouldn't) be chopped.

Are they also called "progressive" springs? I've also heard that some springs have what they call "dead coils" on them and they can be 'cut without warping the spring rate too much'. I thought those dead coils were the ones toward the end where they're tightly wounded... I don't know though.

Jarred
14-04-2008, 08:15 PM
yea progressive is the other word i've heard thrown around a bit. I'm not sure exactly what they're called, also havn't heard about 'dead coils' before either???? but that's just me. I'm no expert :?

rayray086
14-04-2008, 09:39 PM
That's a good thing, cutting coils are a bit of a dangerous affair haha.

Golf Loon
15-04-2008, 07:41 AM
A better option is to get the springs "reset" by a suspensin place. They just squash them and so the car sits lower, but still has enough spring. I just got 2 diesel springs lowered for the back of my T4 and it cost me $80 at pedders. I can turn into corners heaps fast, no scrubbage and still have load carrying capabilities.

ScienceVR6
15-04-2008, 04:20 PM
well, i cut em anyway, they are a very heavy spring, same rate the full length. i cut one coil, from the top. Gave me about an inch drop.

Jarred
15-04-2008, 04:52 PM
as long as they don't flop around between the two plates of the shocks when the car is jacked up/on a hoist, then it's roadworthy to boot!

Wire them in if you are concerned they are too short.. :rolleyes:

ScienceVR6
15-04-2008, 05:06 PM
as long as they don't flop around between the two plates of the shocks when the car is jacked up/on a hoist, then it's roadworthy to boot!

Wire them in if you are concerned they are too short.. :rolleyes:
they still lock in beautifully, better than a set of kings in a commodore.