PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 Tailgate lock cylinder

RedMk2Gti
14-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Lock Cylinder is kind of seized, it can't be turned and I don't know if it is in locked or unlocked position. Is it repairable ??? I can't see it can be pulled apart in any way.

Jarred
14-04-2008, 09:17 AM
did you pull it out and lube it up? hit it with WD40, and clean off some of the crap on the back?

I had a bit of an issue with mine when i first bought it, the mechanism a tthe back was covered with crud and was really hard to moove etc. Hit it up with WD40, and a toothbrush or etc, and that should be the go. (parts cleaner would work well too.)

I'm sure there is a way to pull them apart, although probably a bit complex. Maybe it'd be best to find another and pop it in?

Just my 2C

RedMk2Gti
14-04-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm sure everyone (includingme) would have tried WD40 if anything is stuck :) I may try just soak the whole thing in WD40 for an hour.
Ya get a replacement is good idea, but new lock cylinder is hard to find and xpensive :(

Jarred
14-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Unless you just get the orig key from the lock, perhaps if the lock is off a car that's being wrekced...? Perhaps you can buy them off ebay UK or US or DE or off Rsj rabbit spare parts or what ever that US website is called.

http://www.rsjparts.com/

they're the ones.

I'll go have look at mine. even though i'm still in my Pj's. who knows what i'll discover!

Peter Jones
14-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Key slot vertical = locked
Key Slot horizontal = unlocked

Pull the whole thing off and give it a good soaking in WD40. The back of the mechanism gets all gunked up. A blast with degreaser or carby cleaner wouldn't go astray either.

The boot lock is probably the least used lock on the car so what happens is that the key wears out and is no longer recognised by the lock.

A good locksmith will be able to cut a new key "from the numbers" rather than copying a stuffed key. You'll need to provide a numbered lock for them to look up the codes, the door handles or the ignition lock may have the number stamped on the barrels or you might have an original key.

The sledgehammer approach is to take remove ALL the locks and drop them off at the locksmith for a one key fits all solution.

Pete

Jarred
14-04-2008, 12:32 PM
... The sledgehammer approach ...

Geez Pete. You had me worried with this one for a second there!

RedMk2Gti
14-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks Pete. Good to know the lock is in horizontal position, I just worried if I slam the tailgate into the latch it can't be opened again :)
I actually don't mind having different key for the tailgate so if I can find a cheap replacement that's the best option, if soaking it with WD40 still doesn't fix the problem.