PDA

View Full Version : Where is the T5 California ?

GTI-VW
12-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Has VW removed this model from its line-up ? It appears they don't sell it any more. Does anyone know why ?

I have a T4 California Coach - Belgian reg'd and currently living in the UK. Family of 4 we have taken it all over Europe and off to North Africa next week. It's also our daily driver and runs like a new car even with 190,000kms on it.

The T4 California Coach (built by Westfalia) is very similar to the T5 California (built by VW after Westfalia were bought by Mercedes). They both sleep 4 in comfort and are packed with thoughtful goodies. The T5 just does everything a bit slicker - electric doors, remote heater control, bigger fridge, electric roof, glass tops, pull down blinds in lieu of curtains, better table setup and all the nice T5 improvements. Every now and then I go to VW in London to drool over one.

I'd love to bring it back but as it's a LHD that's nigh on impossible. To my mind the aftermarket conversions in Australia just look too much like a camper. The interiors may be functional but tend to be circa 1980's caravan-kitsch. I'd love to buy a T5 California when we return to Oz but sweet chance if there's none on the market.

GTI-VW
12-04-2008, 12:25 AM
. Every now and then I go to VW in London to drool over one.

For anyone who hasn't seen & crawled inside one it really is lickable. The interior is an extension of the luxury VW fit-out and reminiscent of a luxury apartment. Closed up it looks like a top of the line Caravelle with just the thinnest suggestion of a roof and a California badge to give away that its a camper. They sell well in the UK and there are a lot of big name converters here (Reimo,etc) to compete against. If VW Australia won't sell them then they don't understand the market potential.

phaeton
12-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Not coming due to high price and tough ADR standards :(

Although I do swear I at least saw one silver version in South Australia, whether it was just testing or whether someone has a personal import or maybe they were exploring our fine country I don't know.

WEDEL.1
12-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Bob Jennings from the Advertiser tested a red version. I believe it will not be introduced to Australia.

Must buy one from TRAKKA, LWB high roof, 4-Motion, Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

jets
12-04-2008, 10:17 AM
I was waiting to see one after the teaser articles going back for a couple of years & the road test by Bob Jennings. I had a dream of owning one someday but the news that they wouldn't be sold here put an end to that. Although I could never justify ownership on price & how much use I would give it, it's the sort of vehicle that really appeals to me.

jimmyd
12-04-2008, 11:38 PM
I was waiting to see one after the teaser articles going back for a couple of years & the road test by Bob Jennings. I had a dream of owning one someday but the news that they wouldn't be sold here put an end to that. Although I could never justify ownership on price & how much use I would give it, it's the sort of vehicle that really appeals to me.

I saw the brochure here in Brisbane, but the salesman said not enough interest due to price..over $100,000, way to expensive

syncro91
13-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Not coming due to high price and tough ADR standards :(

Although I do swear I at least saw one silver version in South Australia, whether it was just testing or whether someone has a personal import or maybe they were exploring our fine country I don't know.

Phaeton - few comments in general

- Yes, they are being produced, in a special section of the Hannover factory. This has been the case since DaimlerChrysler took over Westfalia. I have had factory personnel explain this on my visit to the factory last month

- There are at least 2 in Australia. Silver and Red I believe, on evaluation. I have explored the Silver example whilst it was in Canberra in October 2006. It later visited the Sydney Motor Show of the same year.

- There is a market for $100K plus Campers, as evidenced by sales at Trakka, Discoverer, Frontline etc.

- The California cannot come to Australia for the same reason the Westfalia was never really going to be viable here - the interior configuration is such that the sliding door entry is on the right-hand-side = on the road side for RHD vehicles = entry / egress safety issues.

Regards

Mark.

syncro91
13-04-2008, 08:29 AM
PS - the Trakka is the closest example to the California in terms of materials used (eg, timber look cabinetry and silver roller shutters for cupboards etc).

jets
13-04-2008, 09:48 AM
I put it to the salesman when he told me they wouldn't be sold here that I thought the RHS slider would be a problem. He said it wasn't that but other features. He obviously didn't know but as with a lot of sales people feel they need to say something. They find it hard to say 'I don't know"

GTI-VW
13-04-2008, 08:05 PM
PS - the Trakka is the closest example to the California in terms of materials used (eg, timber look cabinetry and silver roller shutters for cupboards etc).

Shame if it doesn't come to Oz. The Trakka looks nice but it doesn't have the stylish fit/finish of the California. IMO it still looks like a camper interior. Various sockets and assorted stuck on bits spoil the overall look. The exterior decals are hopefully optional.

For interior comparison see

http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/downloads/images/california/gallery/wallpaper6.jpg

http://www.trakka.com.au/images/trakkadu/8AAE2552.JPG2.JPG

also see http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=eW2n2LtgPww

phaeton
14-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Phaeton - few comments in general

- Yes, they are being produced, in a special section of the Hannover factory. This has been the case since DaimlerChrysler took over Westfalia. I have had factory personnel explain this on my visit to the factory last month

- There are at least 2 in Australia. Silver and Red I believe, on evaluation. I have explored the Silver example whilst it was in Canberra in October 2006. It later visited the Sydney Motor Show of the same year.

- There is a market for $100K plus Campers, as evidenced by sales at Trakka, Discoverer, Frontline etc.

- The California cannot come to Australia for the same reason the Westfalia was never really going to be viable here - the interior configuration is such that the sliding door entry is on the right-hand-side = on the road side for RHD vehicles = entry / egress safety issues.

Regards

Mark.

Well said Mark :D

MultiplexMan
15-04-2008, 02:27 PM
http://www.vwasia.com/publish/vwasia/new_zealand/en/models/commercial_vehicles/california.html

Are the Kiwis getting LHD models? :?: Or RHD with a driver's side sliding door?

jets
15-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Same as UK, RHD with RH slider. Nice link.
The downside of the California, beside the price, is that it's SWB & that fridge looks cheap.

Seano
16-04-2008, 09:46 AM
No matter how flash the California looks.........if I were in the market for a camper I'd get the Trakka version every time.

Simply because the former is built in Europe while the latter is built in Sydney. And Trakka's customer service when a fault occurs in their camper fitouts has been well tested and found quite fine while I'd have strong doubts about a regional VW dealer coping with a collapsed camper fitout....

jimmyd
16-04-2008, 12:18 PM
No matter how flash the California looks.........if I were in the market for a camper I'd get the Trakka version every time.

Simply because the former is built in Europe while the latter is built in Sydney. And Trakka's customer service when a fault occurs in their camper fitouts has been well tested and found quite fine while I'd have strong doubts about a regional VW dealer coping with a collapsed camper fitout....

Good one Seano, been to Trakka in Sydney, very impressive setup, didn't realise their factory was so big ! I have a swb T4 camper, and while I do love it, next time will def be a LWB. That bit of extra room does make a difference. I had a look at the Kea T5's for sale here at their depot, not a bad fitout, but I think Trakka is better. They have dropped their prices at Kea by $5000, so don't know if they are having problems selling them !!. Frontline will do conversion for $17,000, but didn't get around to asking Trakka. Also agree that fridge on California looks cheap.

MultiplexMan
21-04-2008, 06:16 AM
I find local camper conversion costs very expensive.

If you compare similar work done for your home (bricks & mortar) - campers are certainly sold at a premium. I know I could get a quality kitchen fit out with european appliances for under 20K. Granted the pop top and the auxilliary battery supply are "unique" to the sector but how on earth do we end up over 100K? :?

I also don't understand the premium we pay for conversions compared to the UK firms.

Check out some of their sites, the materials used and the finished prices. Price is not lower due to volume as most are smaller than Trakka and the like.

I agree with concerns re VW support with a California. I have had enough issues with my Kombi Beach. I shudder to think of the issues one could have with a more complex vehicle.

The Cali does make for a nice brochure though :)

jets
21-04-2008, 09:32 AM
I know someone who had a conversion by Trakka on his T4 2 or 3 years ago. He got a quote but told them they were too expensive. They reduced the price & got the job. After looking at UK prices I thought they were just as expensive as over here.

Seano
21-04-2008, 09:44 AM

If you compare similar work done for your home (bricks & mortar) - campers are certainly sold at a premium. I know I could get a quality kitchen fit out with european appliances for under 20K. Granted the pop top and the auxilliary battery supply are "unique" to the sector but how on earth do we end up over 100K? :?

I also don't understand the premium we pay for conversions compared to the UK firms.

When was the last time you had a tradesman in to your house?!!

Two reasons why they are expensive - hourly rates, competition (or the lack thereof).

Campers are a custom fitout....and I'd reckon they'd probably take two tradespeople about a week to do - so lets say about 100 hours all up. At $75 per hour. Plus the cost of the fitout gear itself.....timber, carpet, upholstery, fridge, stove, water tanks, curtains,fittings etc.....there'd be 15 grand in this at least in just parts. So we are over twenty grand now. Add the pop top....another five grand. Add another couple of grand for the panelbeater to paint and detail........then whack all of that on top of a van that's just cost fifty grand. By my rough maths, that's about eighty thousand......kick in the rest for marketing and profits and you've got a reasonable return as manufacturer...

MultiplexMan
29-04-2008, 05:37 AM
When was the last time you had a tradesman in to your house?!!

Last year - completed a reno on an apartment (Sydney).

Wall units were cheaper installed than I could purchase the material :?. One fellow (This I could not believe as I would have used a T/A) a little over one hour - over 9 meters of build ins fully lined and fitted. The fellow just did build ins and he did not stop until he was finished.

Kitchen - units imported panelling, Miele (ex display) appliances, Silestone benchtops, lower drawers, upper cabinets and pantry for 20K. I thought I had done well till I saw a mate's kitchen. Same price, twice the size, Italian appliances and hardwood doors, team of three tradesman took a day for fit out, with two fellows back the following day for tiling.

If you are taking a week to do a kitchen, you'll be out of business quick smart OR you have to charge accordingly. I imagine there are a dwindling number of "whales" out there for the harvesting...though I am continually amazed by people who walk into kitchen showrooms and pay retail. I got quoted over 50K for the same kitchen that I had installed :shock:

Two reasons why they are expensive - hourly rates, competition (or the lack thereof).

Campers are a custom fitout.... So is a Kitchen - unless you go universal prefab flat pack. Campers are essentially the same. After all if you are converting LWB T5s they don't change all that much. The same cabinets are going to fit exactly where the did the last time. You cannot offer much variety in order to recoup on initial cabinet design costs.

then whack all of that on top of a van that's just cost fifty grand. I doubt a camper converter would be paying retail for a van...

Transporter
29-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Last year - completed a reno on an apartment (Sydney).

Wall units were cheaper installed than I could purchase the material :?. One fellow (This I could not believe as I would have used a T/A) a little over one hour - over 9 meters of build ins fully lined and fitted. The fellow just did build ins and he did not stop until he was finished.

Kitchen - units imported panelling, Miele (ex display) appliances, Silestone benchtops, lower drawers, upper cabinets and pantry for 20K. I thought I had done well till I saw a mate's kitchen. Same price, twice the size, Italian appliances and hardwood doors, team of three tradesman took a day for fit out, with two fellows back the following day for tiling.

If you are taking a week to do a kitchen, you'll be out of business quick smart OR you have to charge accordingly. I imagine there are a dwindling number of "whales" out there for the harvesting...though I am continually amazed by people who walk into kitchen showrooms and pay retail. I got quoted over 50K for the same kitchen that I had installed :shock:

So is a Kitchen - unless you go universal prefab flat pack. Campers are essentially the same. After all if you are converting LWB T5s they don't change all that much. The same cabinets are going to fit exactly where the did the last time. You cannot offer much variety in order to recoup on initial cabinet design costs.

I doubt a camper converter would be paying retail for a van...

Very nice write up and summary.
But I think that price is market driven, so why would they be selling it for less if they can get this higher price for conversions?
You or every body else would be asking the highest price for what ever you can sell, just like them.
I call it normal human behaviour.

Seano
29-04-2008, 09:48 AM
I doubt a camper converter would be paying retail for a van...

They don't......you do.

Comparing your own kitchen renovation to that of a camper conversion is a bit odd. That's like comparing apples to boat anchors.

The only thing in common is the tradesperson doing the install. And having done/doing to the odd house reno plus also having done the odd car reno.......I know which is easier. The house......every time (my kitchen is looking to end up somewhere around 8K by the by).

I watched a qualified welder mate and his wife fit out an old Bedford bus for their retirement.......despite the fact they did most of the job themselves it still cost them the best part of thirty grand over and above the cost of the bus to get it done. So it ain't cheap.

Yep I could do a camper conversion for well under $100K but it probably wouldn't turn out quite like a Trakka et al. (more like a Wicked Camper) AND I don't think I'd be that much in front financially especially if I put a value to my time............in the end, however, my idea of travelling is a swag/tent, a Drifta kitchen, Engel fridge on the back of a dual cab T4....not a complicated campervan.

MultiplexMan
30-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Very nice write up and summary.
But I think that price is market driven, so why would they be selling it for less if they can get this higher price for conversions?
You or every body else would be asking the highest price for what ever you can sell, just like them.
I call it normal human behaviour.

Spot on!

I think the "grey nomad" market, retirees with lots of disposable income, has driven the market. Visit a camping and caravan show and have a look and listen. I noted a two person roof top tent range from $4.5-8K!!!:o That's amazing. In that context, 100K for a camper is not ridiculous.

I agree that Trakka and the like should charge what the market can afford. After all, if demand slows down, you can always trim margin or reduce features to lower prices...My post was with regard to whether the prices were "competitive" re UK outfits and relative to the actual "value" of the work.

Compare this to the 70s/80s where you would see younger folk buying an ex Telecom Kombi at auction to do up and tour around the country. I remember helping my father out on quite a few conversions. The most expensive item of the conversion was always the pop-top. :)

MultiplexMan
30-04-2008, 05:28 AM
They don't......you do.

That was my point. There is quite a lot of margin in there when you start to look closely.

Comparing your own kitchen renovation to that of a camper conversion is a bit odd. That's like comparing apples to boat anchors.

A camper fit-out is very like a granny flat, tiny apartment or marine fit out. It's smaller and cheaper than a full "bells and whistles" home kitchen. A lot less material, appliances are 12V, the plumbing and electrical runs are short, space dimensions are fixed and consistent between vehicles (I love irregular rooms and out of plumb walls...grrrr), no carting gear up stairways...

......in the end, however, my idea of travelling is a swag/tent, a Drifta kitchen, Engel fridge on the back of a dual cab T4....not a complicated campervan.

My sentiments exactly. :cool: I've kitted my Kombi for better sound proofing & thermal insulation, solar for my work electronics and a fridge (I like cold drinks when based out in the Cooper Basin) - that's it. To each his own ;)

jets
11-05-2008, 07:53 PM
I have just found a VW brochure in my file titled 'Life and Tour" In addition to the Kombi Beach it includes the California both in 2WD & 4Motion. The last couple of pages show the Caddy Life with Weekender Package. On the back page it states " Specifications are as planned at October 2005 etc"
VW at the time were obviously planning to sell the California here but probably got cold feet & pulled out at the eleventh hour. I think this is more likely the reason than an ADR problem.

KeenCamper
01-05-2009, 09:15 AM
If right side sliding door is a safety issue why are they sold in England?

BrianJ
01-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I have just found a VW brochure in my file titled 'Life and Tour" In addition to the Kombi Beach it includes the California both in 2WD & 4Motion. The last couple of pages show the Caddy Life with Weekender Package. On the back page it states " Specifications are as planned at October 2005 etc"
VW at the time were obviously planning to sell the California here but probably got cold feet & pulled out at the eleventh hour. I think this is more likely the reason than an ADR problem.

I believe VW tested the market by bringing in a batch of about 100 kombi beaches, to see how they would sell. They didn't sell that fast, based on the RRP being a bit high, and almost a complete lack of advertising so no one knew they existed.

They quickly shelved their plans to bring in the california I think.

I have one of the beaches with an added engel fride and a few othe things and it makes a brilliant touring camper at a moderate price.

Brian

Seano
01-05-2009, 09:44 AM
If right side sliding door is a safety issue why are they sold in England?

Right slide door is available in Oz as an option.

jimmyd
01-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Right slide door is available in Oz as an option.

yep, my T5 has lh and rh sliding doors.

adeybruce
02-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi, please have a look at my first post on Newby's Corner copied below - after which it should be obvious why I am here on this thread!

Not sure if I am allowed on this forum as on closer inspection it would appear that the engine is at the wrong end of my camper, and definitely pumping oil! Not least of all I'm British!

Assuming you're willing to over look this for a moment, the reason I tracked this forum down is that I am in the process of emigrating to Australia and want to bring my T5 California with me. The T5 Cali is a wonderful bit of kit and I would not be without it, but I have struggled to track down any in Australia (in every other respect, a fine country). Is there some sound reason that you do not have any? I saw elsewhere that the issue might be that the sliding door (and the steering wheel, for that matter) is on the wrong side (egress therefore on the road side), or possibly some other problem.

Also the van is Diesel - would this prove a problem filling up?

Are there any enthusiasts who would be willing to find out the issues? I would be very grateful, and in return I promise to enrich your fine country with the World's finest camper. Many thanks.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Adey

jets
02-09-2009, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=adeybruce;380694]saw elsewhere that the issue might be that the sliding door (and the steering wheel, for that matter) is on the wrong side (egress therefore on the road side), or possibly some other problem.

Also the van is Diesel - would this prove a problem filling up?

If yours is LHD that would definately be a problem & wouldn't be allowed rego unless coverted to RHD.
Diesel not a problem. Like the UK most of ours are diesels.
Read also http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=33402

BrianJ
02-09-2009, 04:36 PM
I thought the British drove on the left hand side of the road, same as Australia. Isn't it the Americans who drive on the right, so I think the steering would be correct, and our sliding doors are generally on the left side of the van but I don't know if that would be a problem.

As stated by others there is diesel fuel everywhere, the only occasional problem is that the kombi has a small low flow fuel filler entry hole in Australia so the high flow nozzle will not fit. Fortunaletly most garages have both now except in some small country towns.

The kombi beach is the simplified version of the fully kitted california I think, and is based on the multivan even though it is called a kombi. That name was forced on VW by the Australian VW distributers who wanted to gain through using the nostalgic name of kombi.

All T5 parts supplied through the official VW parts centres should be ok if its based on the multivan, but the special parts for the camper furniture may need to imported if anything breaks.

I can't think of any other problems at this time.

Brian

jets
02-09-2009, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=BrianJ;380867]I thought the British drove on the left hand side of the road, same as Australia.

They do, but unlike Aust. they can purchase LHD in mainland Europe, bring it across the water & register it in the UK. In fact what I can see a lot of the campers[in the UK] are LHD. I think the T4 Westfalia was only built in LHD form.

]

adeybruce
02-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. Thought I'd better clear up a few things ...

VW never produced the California in RHD until 2005, so many have been imported. Even when it was available New, there is no second-hand stock so many have gone to Europe to pick one up, especially when the exchange rate was a little more reasonable (you could pick up quite a bargain), especially when the price new was around AU$80,000 (£40K).

Even in its RHD form, it was not really a full conversion as it was deemed too expensive to produce an entire new camper fit to allow the sliding door to be moved over to the other side, hence even on the RHD version the door opens out onto the traffic (I have found no problems with this, just requires a little pre-thought when the kids are on board).

I bought mine New when I was living in Germany. I had 'tax exile' status over there, so paid a measly £27K for it and have owned it now for 5 years. It's been brilliant, though would agree that the fridge at 30 litres would be on the small side for a hot climate. As for the dealer network, despite an increasing number of these things appearing in UK, the dealers are awful! In UK there are is a separate VW Commercial dealer network and they are too used to dealing with the bloke who drives a van on behalf of a company rather than owner/drivers (if that makes sense).

I would dearly love to bring it with me, but the cost of moving the steering wheel would be prohibitive.

ROVA
03-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. Thought I'd better clear up a few things ...

VW never produced the California in RHD until 2005, so many have been imported. Even when it was available New, there is no second-hand stock so many have gone to Europe to pick one up, especially when the exchange rate was a little more reasonable (you could pick up quite a bargain), especially when the price new was around AU$80,000 (£40K).

Even in its RHD form, it was not really a full conversion as it was deemed too expensive to produce an entire new camper fit to allow the sliding door to be moved over to the other side, hence even on the RHD version the door opens out onto the traffic (I have found no problems with this, just requires a little pre-thought when the kids are on board).

I bought mine New when I was living in Germany. I had 'tax exile' status over there, so paid a measly £27K for it and have owned it now for 5 years. It's been brilliant, though would agree that the fridge at 30 litres would be on the small side for a hot climate. As for the dealer network, despite an increasing number of these things appearing in UK, the dealers are awful! In UK there are is a separate VW Commercial dealer network and they are too used to dealing with the bloke who drives a van on behalf of a company rather than owner/drivers (if that makes sense).

I would dearly love to bring it with me, but the cost of moving the steering wheel would be prohibitive.

Someone may be able to verify this, but many years ago, you could register a LHD vehicle in the A.C.T. or N.T. I've been out of the loop/country for quite a while so I'm not sure what the go is these days.
I do know though that import duties and customs etc are pretty expensive so it becomes cost prohibitive. Some people do it though so it's worth looking into.
I owned a T4 Weekender (same as California I think) in the States and it suited our family of 4 plus dog extremely well as a people mover (7 seats) and family camper. So much so that I found the same fitout in an older T4 here done by Trakka.
For the everyday family vehicle that has a split personality, the Weekender or California is an unbeatable option. SWB for parking in the city is ideal.
If I hadn't found this vehicle, I'd have bought a Transporter or Caravelle and had a company install a roof and worked the rest out later.
My 2 cents FWIW.

jets
03-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi Rova, are you the guy that inquired about my white LWB T4 [Trakka conversion] in Adelaide when I had it for sale at the start of the year?
I would love to see pics of your purchase.

ROVA
03-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi Rova, are you the guy that inquired about my white LWB T4 [Trakka conversion] in Adelaide when I had it for sale at the start of the year?
I would love to see pics of your purchase.

Quite possibly. I'll post some pics in the photos section. Just bought some new tyres on Seano's recommendation and was going to post some pics of those anyway.
Ultimately I would have loved a combination of your van and this one, but life's a compromise right?

Zanza
05-09-2009, 05:08 AM
Just 2 add my 2 cents.

The Westfalia California is fitted with a full camping outfit. Compression fridge, 2 burners, cabinets, stove and water and poptop to sleep at 4 people

The Westfalia Weekender (is the US name for the Westfalia Multivan) is only fitted with basic camping outfit. Poptop to sleep at 4 and a Peltier fridge and that's all: no cabinets, no stove and no burner to cook some meal.

The commonly mistake made by US people is to call Westfalia every single bit of VW T4 Transporter with a poptop fitted on it.

For example the Winnebago EV which is basically a clone of the Westfalia California on LWB T4, but which is definately not a Westfalia

jets
15-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Anyone noticed the view count on this thread? Certainly a lot of interest in the California.

Tonz
15-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Its only a model. Minichamps. Being released on the VW stand at Frankfurt now. Come off Minichamp website.

http://www.minichamps.de/index.php?iex=&s=en&m=1&a=5&b=2&c=0

sorry cant download attachments yet this will have to do.

GTI-VW
30-08-2010, 07:30 PM
I'd forgotten I'd even started this thread way back but there is certainly a lot of interest. In the meantime I've sold my 2001 LHD T4 California (225,00kms 18,000 euros) and bought a 2007 RHD T5 California (35,000 euros 30,000km). The T5 California will get a year's usage in Europe before coming to Oz next year as a personal import. Planning a big trip to the Balkans next June as I've never been further than Croatia.

Not sure if there are many other T5 Californias in Oz but would be good to know how people went about importing them. I've imported a Golf GTI 8v Mk2 before and it was no real hassle though a lot of paperwork.

Will post some pics when I pick up the van

ClubCoconut
19-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Save your money and get a kombi beach they have everything you need

MultiplexMan
19-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Not sure if there are many other T5 Californias in Oz but would be good to know how people went about importing them. I've imported a Golf GTI 8v Mk2 before and it was no real hassle though a lot of paperwork.

I have not seen one in Oz but they are in NZ. Definitely a nice alternative to our local outfitters. The factory finish is very nice!

jimby
21-09-2010, 10:10 PM
they had the california at barloworld in mascot a few years ago, it was very very nice and wayyyyyy nicer finish than a trakkadu.

GTI-VW
23-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Save your money and get a kombi beach they have everything you need

5 seats (one bench, one removable and two swivel types), electric roof, 4 berths, fridge, stove, fresh and waste water tanks, awning, heaps of storage, insulated and glazed privacy glass, integrated blinds, integrated table, outside table and chairs which stow in tailgate, built-in leisure battery with inverter for 12 & 240v supplies, overhead computer panel for monitoring all camping functions, diesel fired night heater with remote control, chic and luxurious fitout with 8 speaker audio system and all of this contained within a top spec T5 complete with all parking sensors and cruise control.

I need all this.

http://digiads.com.au/car-news/images/2008/06/article_13279-img_2.jpg
The California will also double as my office since I work from home and like some peace and quiet. I can stop by the beach or in a nice park, put up the table, fire up my portable wifi router, plug into the 240v inverter, run some heating if it's a chilly morning and listen to some tunes while I work. As a 4 seater it's perfect for dropping the kids to school but with our extra seat (fixes into rails) we can carry an extra friend too. Most importantly (for me), unless you look inside it's very difficult to tell its a camper.

We owned a T4 California for 6 years in Europe which we also used as a daily driver . We covered 110000kms including eastern europe and north africa (we got bogged twice in the Sahara). For a family of 4 they're perfect. Even in countries where the California isn't sold VW can still order the parts if they have the part number (did this a few times in the UK for the T4). The 30 litre fridge is bigger than you think as it's a chest fridge. This makes it more energy efficient too. Again, for a family of 4 we never found it wanting.

jets
25-09-2010, 08:53 AM
I would love to see one of these in the metal rather than on paper. The only thing that I can see that I think is better on my Trakka [T4] is the cut out over the cab doesn't go so far forward. We sit our portable TV & lots of odds & ends up there.

GTI-VW
18-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Well after owning it for a while, though as yet no serious camping, I can say that the T5 California really impresses, myself and others. Compared to my old LHD T4 California it's obvious that VW have kept with the basic Westfalia design but taken it to a new level of chic. It's bright and light inside, more hi-tech & high quality (such as formed aluminium cupboards with wood veneer finish, electric roof, dual leisure batteries, opaque glass benchtops). Will it prove to be as reliable as the Westfalias ? Time will tell. Westfalia have been making campers since about the 1950s and probably account for a very large percentage of all the campers in the world. Already a common earth fault has emerged in the T5 California where the leisure battery earth termination was placed under the fridge thus allowing condensation onto 2 dissimilar metals. On the plus side the fault info is passed through the VW dealer network and its fix is available to any VW mechanic in the world. The extra weight of a motorised roof gives a feeling of top-heaviness of the T5 Cali compared to the T4. Certainly the T4 'felt' better in corners. This could be just an impression as the T5 sports the 174HP engine vs 102HP in my old T4.

Planning to bring the car to Australia next year continues. An Engineer in Oz assures me that since the car has whole of vehicle Euro approval it should be relatively straight-forward to adapt it for Australian compliance (recognising that a personal import does not require full ADR compliance). I am also aware of a Brit who is planning to bring his California at the end of next year so I will have someone to steal parts from...just kidding. All parts should be available through VW Australia, even if they need to be shipped (I had no problems getting parts for my T4 California in the UK even though it was not sold there). Most importantly, all the mechanicals are standard T5.

Lastly, this T5 California comes with a single 5th seat which is removable. From what I can discern it is essentially the same single seat that is available in other T5s. I would be very interested to see any photos of such a seat in Australia to see how the child restraint is fitted.

GTI-VW
28-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Doom and gloom. Reading the Australian standards for gas makes me wonder if it will be at all possible to get the California a gas certificate. Damn, when will we start adopting international standards instead of inventing our own ? I am still trying to track down someone who can certify gas installs in Sydney so I can engage in a dialogue. Anyone know anyone ?

There are rumours of at least one California in Australia. If anyone knows where it is or who owns it please point them to this thread or at least ask them how they got the gas certified. Thanks

T45LV10
14-04-2013, 10:34 PM

Check out some of their sites, the materials used and the finished prices. Price is not lower due to volume as most are smaller than Trakka and the like.

I agree with concerns re VW support with a California. I have had enough issues with my Kombi Beach. I shudder to think of the issues one could have with a more complex vehicle.

The Cali does make for a nice brochure though :)

I agree with you mate. Why are the prices so obscene here? I have been to frontline campers and looked at the units. To be honest I just laughed. The finish is sub standard with screw caps used on the face of the cupboards! They won't sell you anything unless you get the full conversion done by them. I can get pop top roofs shipped here for LWB for $3500 yet conversion companies want $7500 fitted?????

I have sourced the light weight ply locally and will be converting my LWB T5 myself soon. They supply Trakka etc with the ply they use for their fit outs. The other hard item to come by is a decent Rock and Roll bed. There really isn't much selection in the Aussie market for the DIY builder. People seem to be happy to pay a highly inflated premium.

I'll post a build thread soon.

T45LV10
14-04-2013, 10:43 PM
why can a plumber who works with gas not certify it? The standards are pretty draconian. A lot of licences needed but no one to enforce them!

Foxpuppet
15-04-2013, 09:22 AM
why can a plumber who works with gas not certify it? The standards are pretty draconian. A lot of licences needed but no one to enforce them!
i know we did caravans and marine LPG installation when i got my licence. but it is kind of a specialized industry. at the end of the day gas can kill you very easily. your in a confined space, that confined space can move around from place to place at over 100km/h.... have you ever seen what LPG does when it combusts unrestricted?

I do LPG certification on my licence, but the problem is on an existing van your not going to be able to check how it's been installed without being able to see the pipework, valving etc. plus the location of the cyclinder/s is crucial. perhaps this is done differently O/S so you'd e hard pressed to find a plumber willing to risk his/her licence on something they have not done themselves. I mean i can check it for leaks etc but certification would be a different story, i'd imagine caravan/mobilehome certifiers would be a better source of info.

mbash
20-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Here's your answer:

Webasto - Cooking Systems (http://www.webasto.com.au/products-and-markets/recreational-vehicles/ena/html/8703.html)