PDA

View Full Version : Leaking sump gasket?

hugh.venables
10-04-2008, 11:14 PM
We got through the roadworthy OK after a very thorough engine wash but it's oily again now and it really looks like the sump gasket, all along the back edge. The rear main seal looks dry and so does the front crank seal. I'm surprised that a rubber gasket would leak. The bolts are as tight as I would want them. Any body else experienced this?
Hugh.

Golf Loon
11-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Are you sure its not the rocker cover gasket or half moon seal on the top? or oil pressure switch on the side of the head? All these are prone to leak and due to the angle of the engine make oil appear along the rear edge of the sump.

hugh.venables
11-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks Matt. No, the entire engine above the sump gasket is still bone dry after the engine wash, except that it is a little bit damp just above the sump at the bottom corner of the front seal housing. It has been leaking for a long time as there is oil under the length of the floor of the car on the right hand side and the right side lower control arm is really copping it at about the lower inner pivot. When I remove the sheet metal flywheel cover (which is still spotless itself), the rear main seal housing area is still dry. Perhaps I should wash it all clean again and check it sooner. After four days of driving it has already spread out to the point where it is difficult to identify the source. I guess the front seal is possible, but if it is, the oil is getting to the sump rail without leaving much of a trail.
Hugh.

hugh.venables
21-04-2008, 09:07 PM
The oil leak looks like it was the gasket on the front seal housing. It had been broken between the upper back two bolt holes and the middle bit was half hanging out between the housing and the block. I'm still surprised at how quick the whole back sump rail got oily (30 km.) without a lot of oil showing at the housing. I'll never be sure as I'm re-sealing the sump as well.
Hugh.