PDA

View Full Version : Number and location of air bags in Multivan

Silver Caravelle
09-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Hi there,

For those of you that possess a Multivan, can please confirm the number and location of airbags.

The literature is little vague:

'Driver and Front passenger air bags
Driver and Front passenger side air bags
Curtain Airbags from front to rear.'

Does this mean curtain airbags for each row of seats?

Many thanks,

Scott

Silver Caravelle
10-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Any body ??

phaeton
10-04-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm going to say (don't own a Multivan).

Reading my Multivan literature the curtain airbags only cover the front cabin.

So no side protection for rear passengers.

Having said that this is a brochure dated 2005 and subsequent Model year upgrades may or may not have added it for the rear compartments.

I would consult with you VW dealer for further information ;)

Edit read the VW Multivan Brochure on the VW site and it now looks like VW may have added curtain bags for the rear seat passenger as to how many rows it covers I'm unsure.

Silver Caravelle
11-04-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm going to say (don't own a Multivan).

Reading my Multivan literature the curtain airbags only cover the front cabin.

So no side protection for rear passengers.

Having said that this is a brochure dated 2005 and subsequent Model year upgrades may or may not have added it for the rear compartments.

I would consult with you VW dealer for further information ;)

Edit read the VW Multivan Brochure on the VW site and it now looks like VW may have added curtain bags for the rear seat passenger as to how many rows it covers I'm unsure.

Many thanks phaeton.

I spoke with a dealer in Melb. Apparently there are driver and front passenger airbags (Frontal), driver and front passenger side (thorax - out the outer side of each front seat) and curtain airbags for the driver and front passenger. Also Curtain bags that stretch either side along the two rows of rear seats. Whilst this curtain airbag on each side of the rear is effectively one, it is in two sections to cover the middle and third row passengers. All in all 8 separate airbags the cover all passengers.

Can anybody else that owns a Multivan verify this?

Thanks,
Scott

shogun2
12-04-2008, 06:45 PM
My Multivan is 2005 vintage, Highline sven seats.
It has front driver, passenger, side driver and passenger seat backrests, curtain airbags in the two side columns on each side of the van, eight in all.

Silver Caravelle
14-04-2008, 09:21 AM
My Multivan is 2005 vintage, Highline sven seats.
It has front driver, passenger, side driver and passenger seat backrests, curtain airbags in the two side columns on each side of the van, eight in all.

Many thanks Shogun. I checked it out a little further on the weekend and it is exactly as you indicate.

I have just ordered a new Multivan TDI Auto Comfortline with some options - fog lamps, electric folding mirrors, tint and black pearl colour.

My 2000 Sliver Caravelle will be up for sale when the above is delivered.

Cheers,

Scott

phaeton
14-04-2008, 07:25 PM
The VW Brochures should be more detailed the way its specified in my 05 Brochure it sounds like it only covers the cabin.

Congrats on new ride Silver Caravelle :D

Silver Caravelle
15-04-2008, 09:25 AM
The VW Brochures should be more detailed the way its specified in my 05 Brochure it sounds like it only covers the cabin.

Congrats on new ride Silver Caravelle :D

Thanks can't wait!! The VW website and brochure is somewhat vague. The Multivan is not directly listed or apparent under the new car list- its buried under the Life tab.

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_au.html

Cheers Scott.

shogun2
15-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Congratulations Scott,
I luv my Multivan, and would rather drive it than the Golf most of the time.
I have the TDI with 4Motion. It;s a bit harder on the juice, especially as it also has a Diesel power implant, but I still get about 10.5 around the city and 8.5 on a longer drive.

Cheers,
Rod

Silver Caravelle
16-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Congratulations Scott,
I luv my Multivan, and would rather drive it than the Golf most of the time.
I have the TDI with 4Motion. It;s a bit harder on the juice, especially as it also has a Diesel power implant, but I still get about 10.5 around the city and 8.5 on a longer drive.

Cheers,
Rod

Many thanks Shogun,

We have a disabled lad, so are plan to put a wheelchair hoist in the Multivan. I am currently investigating a hoist arrangement sourced from the US - Superarm Lift 2000. It is much more flexible installation wise and cheaper (about 6k) than the vastly expensive underfloor hoists with their elaborate installation & modification requirements (25k plus). It can be installed in a few hours or de-installed very quickly. I saw it installed in a Vito in Melbourne and could be a viable option - subject to some proper dimensioning.

http://www.handicapsinc.com/V3Superarm2000.htm

Cheers,

Scott

shogun2
16-04-2008, 09:54 AM
It's always a trial coping with disabilities. I think the T5's are ideal for what you envisage.
Cheers,
Rod