PDA

View Full Version : intersting site- manuals

pjbplumbing@bigpond.com
08-04-2008, 08:40 PM
See the link below, its a site in Denmark I think, maybe usefull.
Believe it or not this link was given to me via Bentley via VWoA.?

https://erwin.volkswagen.de
Peter

Greg Roles
06-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Having had a go with this site, here's a few tips to make the most of your time there.

First, read the FAQ section. Main point is you need to run Windows 2000 or XP only. Doesn't work with Vista.

Second you need to use Explorer, Acrobat and download an "unsealer" plugin found in the FAQ section. Had me confused for a while.

You can do a " vehicle identification" search on your actual VIN, and get a list of all the things it has. Makes sense of the option codes on your VIN sticker in the Service section of your manual. This you can save as a normal PDF.

The rest of the documents you can save, but they are an encrypted version, so once your time runs out, that's it. Printing stuff out is the only real option.

Have your VIN sticker and or car details handy, as everything is organised by codes. The MKV Golf for example is the 1K1 code etc.

The site is rather slow, and drops out a bit, so make sure you allow some decent time if you want to make the most of your money. Have a laser printer and a good 500 plus pack of paper handy. Recycled of course. "Engine" is about 250 pages long iteslf, and covers a few similar varients. I printed these out as 4 to a page, and went through and printed the main pictures and interesting parts full size.

The first step is to "search" your cars type by year. As an example all the MKV Golf's are grouped together as "golf / golf plus / golf varient..."

From there you can select subsections such as Engine, Electrics, Body etc.

From here it starts getting a bit tricky. Taking "Engine" as an example, you are presented with a list, and there are several similar "looking" diesels as an example. Look for your cars code and move the mouse over the "type key" column to show the car it relates to. For a golf you want "2004-2007 golf". The "golf plus" is a similar but differently styled car. "Golf varient" can be you also...it gets tricky like I said. I actually printed the engine section for the "golf plus" but it seems identical to the standard golf. Be aware.

The first column with the "i" in a circle pops up a index summary of the article. Useful about 50% of the time. Make sure your pop up blocker is off!

The article itself is the third column, and the last column, the " MKB / GKB" column again needs the mouse moved over it to display the hidden codes. I had trouble at first finding the code for the GT diesel engine "BMN", but moving the mouse solved that. Problem is "BMN" as an example shows up in a few cars, but on inspection is all the same. Try and use just the docs that relate to your car, such as "1K1" for the MK5 Golf.

The "unsealer" slowly loads the document, and this can take a while, especially for the 2000 plus page electrical documents!

Once I got the hang of it, it's pretty quick to use. A major plus is the self learning section, where you can download the "self study programs" the service mechanics would go through. I printed a lot of stuff out, but there's one specifically on the DPF, the 125 kw TDI, DSG, anything you would want. Will solve a lot of stuff we speculate about on the forums!
Awesome stuff, I've a lot of reading!

The Repair and Maintainence sections pertain the service lists and how to charge for them, so pretty much a waste of time. I spent my time downloading engine, trans, body and some electrical stuff - the sort of thing you are more likely to need.

In all use your browser buttons if it drops out, or tells you it's too busy, or gives you an error screen at the final document stage. I found it sorts itself out pretty quickly on a second attempt if this happens.

So in all, one day is enough to get a ton of info, but go in ready, and be prepared to spend a lot of time in front of the computer!

VW VR6
16-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Good website. Thanks

Greg Roles
21-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Having played with ELSAWIN now as well, I can confirm they are both the same manual info, but ERWIN has the advantage of the very informative self study bulletins for VW service techs and an online specific printout of all the options and codes of your actual car. Erwin is also updated in real time.

Otherwise they are the same. Personally, I found ELSAWIN a long thing to install, and it's a bit tricky as it's an obvious pirated product and switches to German here and there in the install process. Comes with relevant instructions, but still not straightforward ( for me anyway! )

Thanks to you know who! :D

gti mk5
05-07-2008, 11:38 PM
might have to chek this out

bluey
19-10-2008, 06:53 AM
The Bentley manuals on disc that come with RossTech's VAG-COM/VCDS look to be great value for US spec cars. Sadly, Polo is not sold in US. ERWIN is "Electronic Repair and Workshop INformation service from Volkswagen AG". Got that link from Rosstech's site.

johnvw
20-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Having had a go with this site, here's a few tips to make the most of your time there.

First, read the FAQ section. Main point is you need to run Windows 2000 or XP only. Doesn't work with Vista.

Second you need to use Explorer, Acrobat and download an "unsealer" plugin found in the FAQ section. Had me confused for a while.

You can do a " vehicle identification" search on your actual VIN, and get a list of all the things it has. Makes sense of the option codes on your VIN sticker in the Service section of your manual. This you can save as a normal PDF.

The rest of the documents you can save, but they are an encrypted version, so once your time runs out, that's it. Printing stuff out is the only real option.

Have your VIN sticker and or car details handy, as everything is organised by codes. The MKV Golf for example is the 1K1 code etc.

The site is rather slow, and drops out a bit, so make sure you allow some decent time if you want to make the most of your money. Have a laser printer and a good 500 plus pack of paper handy. Recycled of course. "Engine" is about 250 pages long iteslf, and covers a few similar varients. I printed these out as 4 to a page, and went through and printed the main pictures and interesting parts full size.

The first step is to "search" your cars type by year. As an example all the MKV Golf's are grouped together as "golf / golf plus / golf varient..."

From there you can select subsections such as Engine, Electrics, Body etc.

From here it starts getting a bit tricky. Taking "Engine" as an example, you are presented with a list, and there are several similar "looking" diesels as an example. Look for your cars code and move the mouse over the "type key" column to show the car it relates to. For a golf you want "2004-2007 golf". The "golf plus" is a similar but differently styled car. "Golf varient" can be you also...it gets tricky like I said. I actually printed the engine section for the "golf plus" but it seems identical to the standard golf. Be aware.

The first column with the "i" in a circle pops up a index summary of the article. Useful about 50% of the time. Make sure your pop up blocker is off!

The article itself is the third column, and the last column, the " MKB / GKB" column again needs the mouse moved over it to display the hidden codes. I had trouble at first finding the code for the GT diesel engine "BMN", but moving the mouse solved that. Problem is "BMN" as an example shows up in a few cars, but on inspection is all the same. Try and use just the docs that relate to your car, such as "1K1" for the MK5 Golf.

The "unsealer" slowly loads the document, and this can take a while, especially for the 2000 plus page electrical documents!

Once I got the hang of it, it's pretty quick to use. A major plus is the self learning section, where you can download the "self study programs" the service mechanics would go through. I printed a lot of stuff out, but there's one specifically on the DPF, the 125 kw TDI, DSG, anything you would want. Will solve a lot of stuff we speculate about on the forums!
Awesome stuff, I've a lot of reading!

The Repair and Maintainence sections pertain the service lists and how to charge for them, so pretty much a waste of time. I spent my time downloading engine, trans, body and some electrical stuff - the sort of thing you are more likely to need.

In all use your browser buttons if it drops out, or tells you it's too busy, or gives you an error screen at the final document stage. I found it sorts itself out pretty quickly on a second attempt if this happens.

So in all, one day is enough to get a ton of info, but go in ready, and be prepared to spend a lot of time in front of the computer!
Dear Greg,
You have saved me so much time, thank you.
This erWIN appears to be the only site to retrieve info for vw`s not manufactured in the US.
I am on the verge of gathering information ( my manual ) for Golf GTi 2007.
I plan to start with one day subscription and see how I go.
Questions :
1) Do you simply print from the screen or can you download to hard drive and copy to CD (at your leisure).
2) What is this "unsealer ", google indicates it is some sort of media security, allowing specific areas/equipment acccess only for viewing/printing.
I see you mentioned downloading this, i am totally confused.
If possible I would like to download the specific portions of the erWIN to CD and print off at work, is this possible.I look forward to your reply.Thank you again John
l

EUS GTIMK5
21-11-2008, 08:36 PM
You said that you need to print out all the info, I assume you can't store it as a file?
Have you tried using something like a PDF printer, i.e. comes up as a normal looking printer but actually produces a PDF file?
Just a thought that may give you a work around. There are plenty of freeware programs that do this.

Transporter
22-11-2008, 10:10 PM
You said that you need to print out all the info, I assume you can't store it as a file?
Have you tried using something like a PDF printer, i.e. comes up as a normal looking printer but actually produces a PDF file?
Just a thought that may give you a work around. There are plenty of freeware programs that do this.

You can't print to Adobe PDF file from Unsealer. But you can scann with document scanner 25 double sided pages or more per minute and convert/save to PDF files. I've done that.

Just my 2c.

Transporter
15-03-2009, 07:52 PM
While searching for the picture of the special tool I needed I came across this website, sorry most of the newer cars manuals are in Russian language only.

http://volkswagen.msk.ru/index.php?p=page01

Greg Roles
21-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Sorry for the late reply guys, should have PM'd me.

Erwin has PDF files that are time sensitive. There is no way around it, they expire when your subscription runs out. I "assume" you could save them and print them at work, so long as it's the same day, but you'd need to downlaod the unsealer program on your work computer.

Perhaps this PDF printer freeware thing is possible, but trust me you'd burn some time trying that, and believe me there's a STACK of stuff on there you'll want in one day. I bought a week and let several guys on here have a go at the time, and you'd have time to mess around then, but to be honest you can get all you need in an organised up front, printer ready, day. Borrow a laser from someone! I bubbled the covers, lasered the rest, and did the spiral bind with plastic covers. Works a treat!

Basically Erwin prevents you from keeping an electronic copy of them beyond the day or so you pay for, and they seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to protect their content. I wouldn't think copying them electronically will be simple.

Transporter
21-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Sorry for the late reply guys, should have PM'd me.

Erwin has PDF files that are time sensitive. There is no way around it, they expire when your subscription runs out. I "assume" you could save them and print them at work, so long as it's the same day, but you'd need to downlaod the unsealer program on your work computer.

Perhaps this PDF printer freeware thing is possible, but trust me you'd burn some time trying that, and believe me there's a STACK of stuff on there you'll want in one day. I bought a week and let several guys on here have a go at the time, and you'd have time to mess around then, but to be honest you can get all you need in an organised up front, printer ready, day. Borrow a laser from someone! I bubbled the covers, lasered the rest, and did the spiral bind with plastic covers. Works a treat!

Basically Erwin prevents you from keeping an electronic copy of them beyond the day or so you pay for, and they seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to protect their content. I wouldn't think copying them electronically will be simple.

Hi Greg,
You can scan the pages with the document scanner and convert them to the Adobe PDF files; you can buy the document scanner from office works for under $500. I have all my downloaded manuals stored as Adobe PDF files - they can be opened on any computer with PDF reader.

Greg Roles
22-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Wow, my hard copies cost me a $7 pack of paper, and binding!

Transporter
24-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I would spend a bit more than $7.00 and printed a socond copy in full colour as 1 page per sheet, so if the manual is lost it can be reprinted again as cheap as possible. I keep my back up copies in the box in the shed.

Greg Roles
24-03-2009, 07:56 PM
I understand, but I'm not that old yet, don't tend to misplace things. :nana:

HiTorque
27-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Dear Greg,
You have saved me so much time, thank you.
This erWIN appears to be the only site to retrieve info for vw`s not manufactured in the US.
I am on the verge of gathering information ( my manual ) for Golf GTi 2007.
I plan to start with one day subscription and see how I go.
Questions :
1) Do you simply print from the screen or can you download to hard drive and copy to CD (at your leisure).
2) What is this "unsealer ", google indicates it is some sort of media security, allowing specific areas/equipment acccess only for viewing/printing.
I see you mentioned downloading this, i am totally confused.
If possible I would like to download the specific portions of the erWIN to CD and print off at work, is this possible.I look forward to your reply.Thank you again John
l
Tried to upload that thing didn't work, sorry.

Transporter
29-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Why not to use? :
http://www.mediafire.com/index.php

HiTorque
29-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Why not to use? :
http://www.mediafire.com/index.php

OK, I've never heard about it, the 1st file is one way up there..

HiTorque
29-03-2009, 09:59 PM
OK, I've never heard about it, the 1st file is one way up there..
OK, let me know if they do not work:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dlc1igdvvkd
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?moncvwimyox
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9ygjzwrzlmd
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kz9jkmnmbmw

Transporter
29-03-2009, 10:35 PM
It's working. :drinkbeer:

Transporter
04-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Another site.
http://www.newtechland.com.tw/index2-1-e.asp?p2id=3&p1id=2