PDA

View Full Version : Arrrggh!!! Jetta!!!

Rednut
21-07-2006, 06:25 PM
the freakin gearbox fell out between morriset and toronto?! no alarm!

any of you newy lads got a car-trailer? ayden.. your wheels are in the boot too i think.

if anyone can help out tonight.. my number is 0407017977

worm
21-07-2006, 06:29 PM
The saga continues...

Rednut
21-07-2006, 06:56 PM
MOLLINS TO THE RESCUE :D

were gonna go check it out in the morn.

if it gets flogged tonight.. i will die.

evorobin
21-07-2006, 08:00 PM
What was I saying about classic car ownership.............................

Rednut
21-07-2006, 08:06 PM
i dunno but i wish the jetta was insured(or at least have the money to get it insured)?!

Golf Loon
21-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Aaaaargggghhh. That car is cursed man.

Spoke to your bro about what happened. Sounds more like a gear linkage issue to me. The gearbox on the floor sounds more dramatic tho. ;)

He said it wouldn`t have been so bad if it wasn`t sheeting down with rain.

Hoorah for Mollins, let us know what you find in the morn.

Golf Loon
21-07-2006, 08:12 PM
See if mollins has some gear linkages in his garage to take with you.
And a Rope I reckon.

Rednut
21-07-2006, 08:30 PM
yep. we've already organised it. 9am tomorrow. he said he would bring some spare parts :D

Golfwise
21-07-2006, 10:00 PM
If its only the linkages why not put in one gear perferably 3rd and drive it home.
Then trade it in on something decent.

Golf Loon
22-07-2006, 09:51 AM
If its only the linkages why not put in one gear perferably 3rd and drive it home.
Then trade it in on something decent.

I`d jam it in a gear and get it home. Its cursed. I reckon someone died in that car.

worm
22-07-2006, 01:36 PM
lol..... i hope this car is forever on this forum. Would be a shame to send it to the tip.

syncro
22-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Exorcism required:evil:

Rednut
22-07-2006, 07:29 PM
ok.. i just grabbed my first beer.. ready to write this novel.

(NOTE: times arent accurate, just trying to keep it interesting..)

Tuesday - The call from the Loon to say the rego sticker has arrived and the girl is ready to have final check over.

Thursday - The Loon is ready to drop her to my bro to get back up here to Newy.

Friday - 6:30ish pm - My bro calls, "im at the twin servo's... see you in about
30-60mins. (im excited by this time)

6:50ish pm - Bro calls again "the gearbox **** itself, im stuck on the freeway between the morriset and toronto exits..it wont hold any gears..and it aint movin.." (HOLY MOTHER OF %#$%#^)

6:55ish pm - stress sets in. I start calling friends/family trying to figure out what the **** im gonna do. I have a relo that has a car trailer(used to race rally cars..now he just builds em) so i figured, if i can get someone with a strong enough car.. we can tow her..

7:30ish pm - got onto Loony and got mollins number. Loony said "THAT BLOODY CURSED THING! ok ok,hit mollins up, hes close and would be probably the best person to help you out."

7:40ish pm - phone mollins.. (mind you.. never spoke to the lad, other than over the internet) "dude, i need a massive solid" "no worries, see you at 9am tomorrow"
Saturday 9ish am. - still stressin my nut out.. (the whole time from when my bro called, i was peaking that someone would cruise past.. see it was unmanned and either hotwire it.. or at least vandalise it) Mollins and gldgti rock up, and we make our way up the freeway.

10ish am - We turn of the morriset exit and swing back and head towards newy.(im still peaking by this time cause theres no sign of it) Finally! i see her..parked on the side of the freeway.. nothing broken.. no sign of break-in attempts etc etc. The boys inspect the car and work out that one of the CV joints has **** itself.. the driveshaft was just spinning around without the cv joint spinning with it.

11ish - We come to the conclusion that we need to get her away from the freeway to replace it. We call Ben Durie in Teralba and arrange to pickup a CV joint on the way back to newy. I call all the people i know that would have a car strong enough to town her back to Ben or Newy.. NO LUCK!. I bit the bullet and decided to go with the Tow truck idea.

11:30ish - We swing past Ben and catch him as he is closing up. $100 later.. we're up a brand Spanker CV Joint(the boys measured the broken one and the new one with a piece of string{true aussie style} and headed back to newy.

12ish - We headed to Mollins house to ring around for tow trucks as the one in toronto was gonna cost $100 just to get it to Teralba(its like.. 10kms.. and we couldnt use them anyway because their tow truck had just lost its clutch..).

1ish - Mollins rang around and decided on Fenwicks for $125. They came within 30mins and picked up the keys. Drove out to get her and brought her back.. all within the time it took the boys to replace the handbrake cable in gldgti's golf and replace the wheels with the new(used) mk2gti ones{looks alot better than the white ones he had on there :P } (was only an hour or 2 at most)

3ish - Mollins greased up the new CV joint whilst gldgti removed the wheel to get to the broken one. The lads then got hard into it.. all greasy and loving it. I was inspecting the engine whilst the boys were under the car, removing the busted CV and all of a sudden Mollins goes nuts and does a huge commando roll out from under the car.. 1 second later.. a huge ballbarring from the old CV comes rolling out after him.. then some oily grease.. and then another ballbarring. All six of em ended up falling out.. along with the busted cv joint and washers.. it looked like it'd been through a garbage disposal or worse. After about 10mins of trying to get a massive bolt/nut from the busted cv jointoff the driveshaft.. Mollins remember he had a spare. They got it all on, greased up the whole driveshaft and other cv joint that was still lookin ok and got it back into the right spot. They got the wheel back on. Then we decided to have a feed before trying her out.

4ish - We head outside, mollins takes the reigns and jumps in. hey-presto! THEY'D DONE IT!
She moves on her own!! we go for a quick spin around the block. She chugged a fair bit but we realised its cause she was so cold. gldgti jumped in and drove her home with me in the passenger side playing with the stereo and my mp3 player(works a treat, cheers Loony :D). The boys were pretty impressed with how good she went once warm but once warm..shes great. She still idles at below 1000revs.. will have to do somem bout that.. but yeh.. SHE GOES!!!!

(loony, the stereo,speakers,frontbumper,central locking,lights all work! :D cheers again!! :D Under the bonnet looks tidy as too! yay for cable ties. )

I totally recommend these lads for any repairs in the newcastle area. Great Jobs lads, THE MILKYBARS ARE ON ME!

Well, thats all folks, im gonna go have some beverages and forget this ever happened.

Golf Loon
22-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Nice. Glad it had a happy ending. At least it was nothing I touched that broke. Glad you got her back unscathed. Lets believe the curse is lifted ;)

Golf Loon
22-07-2006, 07:36 PM
And a big cheers to Mollins and GLDGTI for helping a fellow watercooler.

Glad you like the Jetta Rednut.

GoLfMan
22-07-2006, 08:26 PM
good stuff boys, thats what a good community does :)

evorobin
22-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Great write up. I've had a cv go since I've been in oz but these things happen. Maybe some distilled holy water with the coolant is called for...

GoLfMan
22-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Amen ;) Scuse the pun

Rednut
22-07-2006, 10:10 PM
its definately gone through a pint of unholy water.. hopefully it runs for a while.. i only want it for an a-b car for now.. im broke as balls.. so it wont be getting any treatment anytime soon..altho a good dyno tune is needed.

mollins
23-07-2006, 05:33 PM
glad we could help out... it'll be good to see another waterpumper cruising round newy!

Golf Loon
23-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Go the newy golf crew. I smell a cruise in the air :)

mollins
23-07-2006, 05:53 PM
mmm... cruise :D

the CV was well and truely jiggered... as soon as we pulled the boot back out came a rain of chunks of the dished washer, a lot of glittery grease and all the balls (hence the commando roll)... the splines on the driveshaft had been all bent too so we couldnt get the old CV off... so we ended up using a spare shaft from my shed... rednut was smiling so much he was about to bust his cheek bones when we backed it out of my driveway... made it all worth it haha

Rednut
23-07-2006, 09:00 PM
do ya blame me :P

Golf Loon
23-07-2006, 09:12 PM
I`m so glad it had a happy ending.

That CV is probably one of the few bits of that car that have not been changed.

Rednut
24-07-2006, 10:31 AM
theres always the other cv joint... :P

Rednut
25-07-2006, 09:33 AM
the jetta is still bottoming out even with 2 people in the car.. i looked under the car yesty and found that the spring on the left side is disturbingly close to the wheel.. it looks as if the wheel would hit the spring when it goes up.. it seems a bit far to hit the guards or the roof of the arch?? i'll check the other side this arvo after work to check if its the same on the other side.. altho it only seems to bottom on the left side.
i cant exactly move the springs can i? any ideas on a temp fix.. nonety $ to buy new suspension.

Loon, what springs are on it, do you know?

cheers

mollins
25-07-2006, 10:15 AM
i may have some spare springs... are the rears of a mk2 same as a mk1?

Golf Loon
25-07-2006, 06:30 PM
It has cut springs, I have some stockers you can have if the newy crew want a job. Not the same as Mk1

syncro
25-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Are Jetta springs the same?

Golf Loon
25-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Are Jetta springs the same?

As Mk2 Golf, Mk3 and Cordoba. Yes.
Not same as Mk1

syncro
25-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Only guessing I thought the rears would be different. (More weight)

Golfwise
25-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Jetta rears would have to be different than Golf
More weight
but I guess a Golf one is better than a buggered and chopped Jetta one.

Golf Loon
25-07-2006, 10:34 PM
How about we split the difference and stuff a Cordoba one in there?
Same weight car and same length shock and spring.

Rednut
10-10-2006, 03:08 PM
*shrugs* im far from giving an answer as i still have little idea about em..

i found out that the battery was flat.. dunno how long its been sitting there with all the doors open cause of the central locking.. charged it for about 6 hours and she goes again!

i just warmed her up cause the old man is taking me from a drive.. and the engine now ticks with the idle.. i presume this is bad.. the sound is similar to flicking a playing card.. i cant pinpoint where its coming from but it sounds like its coming from the head or the block..

any ideas?

ps: appologies for being a ghost.. been saving my pennies to move out with the mrs.

ausgolfer
10-10-2006, 03:32 PM
i just warmed her up cause the old man is taking me from a drive.. and the engine now ticks with the idle.. i presume this is bad.. the sound is similar to flicking a playing card.. i cant pinpoint where its coming from but it sounds like its coming from the head or the block..

any ideas?

Sounds like the hydraulic lifters/tappets sticking. People recommended to me to run about a litre of Auto transmission fuild in with the oil for a few hundred kms before you change the oil to clean them out(driven softly). I tried this and didn't notice much of a difference. I recently put up a post about rebuilding your hydraulic lifters, think it was in the restoration section.
Hope this helps.

Rednut
10-10-2006, 03:49 PM
cheers mate, i'll check it out.

the clicking is about 5 every second.. but its softer now.. or the engine got louder.. i'll see how it goes.. it still needs a serious tune up. i'll keep ya'll posted

ausgolfer
10-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Every 5 seconds? hmmm different, could be a belt or something, or even the sound of a loose spark earthing out, but otherwise thats got me beat.

brackie
10-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Guaranteed that's the problem. It should go away with time. If it doesn't do what Ausgolfer suggested but remember to drive carefully and change the oil when the noise goes. (ATF will tend to evaporate form the oil anyway.)

Rednut
10-10-2006, 04:58 PM
it had an oil change just before it went back to the loons workshop. it ticks about 5 "per" second i should say :P

i just drove it round for the past hour and she went fine.. the old man reakons im ready to get my p's.. lucky he didnt get me to do a few parks.. i cant remember the last time i had to park other than drive into the carport :D

few more hours and i'll be joinin the cruises.. weeee!

joshyd-mk2gti
10-10-2006, 05:37 PM
sounds like the tappets or the oil might be low..? go to supercheap and get some stuff to put in the oil to fix the tick, theyve got a few different brands of stuff. does anyone know if you can buy Sea Foam overhere? the yanks rave about it. you can put it in the oil, suck it in the intake through a vacuum hose or put it in the fuel tank and it cleans all the carbon and crap out of the engine.

aliasmk2
10-10-2006, 06:20 PM
it does sound like the lifters & it would be one ofthe more common noises that a vw would make
i don't like to use additives in the oil,
what i have noticed is that a long & not to easy drive is a sure way of fixing this, but make sure that you have eneogh oil as that could be the overall cause
also it does seem to show up more often when the car is not driven very much or goes very short trips
either way it is not to much to worry about as long as you check your oil
good luck

Golf Loon
10-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Has the car been sitting around??
You need a decent drive to get the oil pressure up.
When engine is warm, rev the car at idle to 3000 rpm and hold for a few seconds. Do that a couple of times and tap nise should go away. Thats lifter noise, because the oil has all drained out of them into the bottom of the engine.
Sounds like you are nearly ready for Ps. Exciting. We`d love to see the Jetta on a Cruise again :)

Rednut
10-10-2006, 07:30 PM
yeh.. i sit her at aobut 2500 for about 2mins.. then its ready to idle.. hehe. i turned it over a few times today and it took less and less time. should be sweet once im regualarly using it. i dont remember hearing the noise at the servo today.. so its probably all good now. it didnt bottom out which was suprising.. altho i was taking it alot easier with the oldman in the car :P
but then again, im no leadfoot(yet) like my older sibling.

i think a tune and a quote about fixing the suspension so it doesnt bottom will be first on the pit list.

i'll get the quote and see what ya'll think.

Golf Loon
10-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I still have struts with springs in sitting next to the garage, ready to send up to you. They should make your car stock height and tou can fit em in an hour or less. I`ll try and box em up this week.

Rednut
10-10-2006, 07:51 PM
hmm.. stock looks a bit too american for my liking.. i'll investigate it later when it starts scrapeing again. i think the tuneup will be first.