PDA

View Full Version : How many digits should a VIN number has??

RWK
04-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Help!!

Dealer gave me my VIN number the other day but it has only got 14 digits.

I checked some VIN number website and they reckon it should have 17 digits

The VIN that the dealer gave me is like this

ZZZ3CZ8P###### (#=number)

Also when I tried to track the cargo using the above number
http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTracking/searchCargo.do?trackType=Auto
It came back with "No tracking information is available for the Cargo ID you entered"

What does the VIN look like on your VW??? Any inputs would be highly appreciated. Thanks!!

ope126
04-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Help!!

It came back with "No tracking information is available for the Cargo ID you entered"

What does the VIN look like on your VW??? Any inputs would be highly appreciated. Thanks!!

17 digits...

And could / should start with WVW

R36 Dreamer
04-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Help!!

You wont be able to track the VIN until the car arrives at the port of loading - and then only if the car is being shipped by WW lines.

When the Car is Built, the Car has a BARCODE Attached to the front window which identifies the car. It is scanned when the car is delivered to the port, and from then you can track it.

It will even tell you what time it is unloaded in Sydney to the minute. The cars are scanned as they leave the ship (as from a risk management view the risk is transferrred once they are unloaded from the ship)

RWK
04-04-2008, 06:09 PM
You wont be able to track the VIN until the car arrives at the port of loading - and then only if the car is being shipped by WW lines.

When the Car is Built, the Car has a BARCODE Attached to the front window which identifies the car. It is scanned when the car is delivered to the port, and from then you can track it.

It will even tell you what time it is unloaded in Sydney to the minute. The cars are scanned as they leave the ship (as from a risk management view the risk is transferrred once they are unloaded from the ship)

Thanks for the details, much appreciated your input.

The car apparently is at the Port of Bremerhaven and the ship will depart very soon today. So I should be able to track the ship once it has left Germany. I will try to track it tomorrow or Sunday.

I will have to repeat this process again for my R36 in another 6 months time :(

This is the heartbreaking period.

R36 Dreamer
04-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the details, much appreciated your input.

The car apparently is at the Port of Bremerhaven and the ship will depart very soon today. So I should be able to track the ship once it has left Germany. I will try to track it tomorrow or Sunday.

I will have to repeat this process again for my R36 in another 6 months time :(

This is the heartbreaking period.

Mate I have had a look at the schedule on the above website quoted by me a couple of weeks ago.

Firstly it seems to take about 35 - 40 days for the ship to get from Bremerhaven to Port Kembla.

I see one ship has left today and there are a number leaving every couple of days -

BREMERHAVEN 04/04/2008 PORT KEMBLA 16/05/2008 OTELLO EE809-OTL 42 Book It

BREMERHAVEN 09/04/2008 PORT KEMBLA 18/05/2008 TORTUGAS EE810-TOR 39 Book It

BREMERHAVEN 13/04/2008 PORT KEMBLA 27/05/2008 TARAGO EF810-TGO 44 Book It

BREMERHAVEN 19/04/2008 PORT KEMBLA 26/05/2008 TRINIDAD EX803-TRD 37 Book It

BREMERHAVEN 22/04/2008 PORT KEMBLA 28/05/2008 AIDA EE811-ADA 36 Book It

BREMERHAVEN 26/04/2008 PORT KEMBLA 07/06/2008 TEXAS EF811-TXS 42 Book It

BREMERHAVEN 02/05/2008 PORT KEMBLA 12/06/2008 DON CARLOS EE812-DOC 41 Book It

BREMERHAVEN 02/05/2008 PORT KEMBLA 13/06/2008 TAPIOLA EF812-TPI 42 Book It

BREMERHAVEN 06/05/2008 PORT KEMBLA 17/06/2008 TAMERLANE EF813-TLE 42 Book It

BREMERHAVEN 07/05/2008 PORT KEMBLA 10/06/2008 TOPEKA EE813-TOP 34 Book It

Obviously the above are not all RORO's so some may have cargo other than VW's on them.

The ports they call into on the way mean they are usually quite empty by the time they reach Sydney. They go via Belguim, France, UK, South Africa, Australia. Some go other ways via NZ before coming to our shores.

The VIN Number should def work if you have the correct one. Either post the VIN here (what can someone else do with the info?) and I can try and track it for you if you like.

In Any case there are plenty leaving in the next month, so you should be right.

I hope this helps - If you need anything let me know - I know how frustrating this part is!!

Steve
04-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Tracking the car is the worst thing about buying... even more painful than parting with the coin!

I was told the GTI had been built nearly 3 weeks before the VIN appeared on the WW website tracking gizmo. Arrival was even more painful... it was offloaded, and then we didn't hear anything for two weeks until we got a "Be in Melbourne in a week to pick it up" phone call.

So irritating... I'd prefer not knowing much more than a rough delivery month.

RWK
08-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Still not appear on the web yet. I might try it again in the next few days.

RWK
10-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Still not appear on the web yet. I might try it again in the next few days.

Finally the details appeared on their Website.

Vessel: TORTUGAS Port of origin : BREMERHAVEN

Voyage : EE810-TOR Port of Destination : FREMANTLE

LOADED ON VESSEL BREMERHAVEN 09/04/2008 22:44
RECEIVED AT TERMINAL BREMERHAVEN 08/04/2008 22:44
BOOKED BREMEN 27/03/2008 16:35

vanDub
10-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Mine is getting closer, website today stated

"Discharged Melbourne 09/04/2008 19:46":D

Boat picked up 2 days on original schedule ex Bremerhaven, so expect about 30 days to offload (Fremantle)

RWK
10-04-2008, 06:11 PM
show us some pictures when you have picked it up (in another 2-3 weeks time I guess)

vanDub
10-04-2008, 06:35 PM
show us some pictures when you have picked it up (in another 2-3 weeks time I guess)

As we are flying from Townsville to pick it up, we imposed an additional 3 week delay 'for contingencies' when we booked airfares mid Feb. This tied in with daughter's birthday (she lives in Melb) and we are taking 2 weeks holiday to drive home. Expect pics mid June.

I have now seen the colour in the flesh - quite a marked green in sunlight (metallics working?) but much greyer and darker in overcast / evening light. Wife and I really like it considering we had not seen it when we ordered.

I am now convinced that it really is the same colour that is called Granite Green overseas despite VW Aust telling me it is a different colour.

RWK
10-04-2008, 06:58 PM
As we are flying from Townsville to pick it up, we imposed an additional 3 week delay 'for contingencies' when we booked airfares mid Feb. This tied in with daughter's birthday (she lives in Melb) and we are taking 2 weeks holiday to drive home. Expect pics mid June.

I have now seen the colour in the flesh - quite a marked green in sunlight (metallics working?) but much greyer and darker in overcast / evening light. Wife and I really like it considering we had not seen it when we ordered.

I am now convinced that it really is the same colour that is called Granite Green overseas despite VW Aust telling me it is a different colour.

How long does it take you to drive from Melb to Townsville? How far away roughly?

vanDub
10-04-2008, 09:00 PM
How long does it take you to drive from Melb to Townsville? How far away roughly?

2500Km shortest possible according to UBD (well inland - never done) or 3000Km via Newell/Oxley/Leichhardt Hwys to Rockhampton then coastal to Townsville. This is approximately the way we usually go and have done comfortably in 3.5 days towing loaded trailer but could drop the .5 day if not stopping with family along the way.

gti
27-08-2008, 04:55 PM
I have my VIN # and trying to track some details. The car has apparently been in OZ for over 3 wks now. When I enter the VIN # nothing comes up except "No tracking information is available for the Cargo ID you entered". I only have 16 digits?!?