PDA

View Full Version : Polo and Canbus

MKIVF
03-04-2008, 08:41 AM
How are people getting around the continous power supply issue in their polo aftermarket installs without using a Canbus adaptor? Is there something I'm missing, or are those without Canbus adaptors manually switching the unit off and on?

Mr İharisma
03-04-2008, 11:10 AM
How are people getting around the continous power supply issue in their polo aftermarket installs without using a Canbus adaptor? Is there something I'm missing, or are those without Canbus adaptors manually switching the unit off and on?

I'm a little confused, continuous power is exactly that, it maintains the signal from the battery so you don't lose your setting etc. Do you mean the Ignition / Acc? Thats the wire that sends a signal when the key is in the Ignition and turned to ON /Acc, this turns the unit on but does not power it :D

MKIVF
03-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Under the impression that without a canbus adaptor, the unit will not switch itself on or off with the ignition.

Mr İharisma
03-04-2008, 02:58 PM
So basically the adapter is creating an Acc or Ign wire for the unit. I am sure you could use a wire that turns on when the car is on ( like in the air con / climate loom ). Maybe a mutlimeter or 12V light may help.

MKIVF
03-04-2008, 03:08 PM
I will need to clarify what exactly this adaptor does with my installer.

Mr İharisma
03-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Yeah definately, who is doing the install?

icacha
16-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Damn Donnie you think I was kidding you about CANBUS? :D

Here's the pic of the Polo I did a while back... ;)

Mr İharisma
16-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Well I guess that answers that question on who is doing it lol

Do you need to CANBUS for all Polo's? :o

icacha
17-04-2008, 09:26 AM
These days CANBUS is standard on all VW's, 2 wires which run around the car telling most things you operate from the cockpit what to do... i.e. it you turn left the CANBUS signal is telling the blinker interface your wanting to turn left and the indicators start, thats my impression anyway...

oliverconnell
26-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Would the canbus adapter on the bottom of that webpage be suitable, all the other ones i find are so much more expensive.

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/install/show_model.asp?id=297

icacha
29-04-2008, 04:05 PM
whats expensive here in Australia? tell me what you have looked at...

your location?

oliverconnell
30-04-2008, 08:36 AM
I have not been able to find any in australia. maybe just not looking in right places hahah. But majority I found seem to range from around 35-80euro. These more expensive ones also include steering wheel controls ect which are irrelevant in my situation, however i just though a drop of 40euro was quite sharp.

Im located in brisbane.

Is it possible to install without canbus, or in the long run is it easier and more functional just to add to the setup?

icacha
30-04-2008, 10:17 AM
you can try chris at audio express in brisbane, there are others too, just depends on how much money you have to spend. people need to remember that it takes 2 things to do something right, time and money, if one of those is missing or short then the sums wont add up.

yes you can run without canbus, but you will have to turn your unit on and off manually, your call, for a small amount $145 a canbus adaptor is too cheap not to get to run the system as intended.