PDA

View Full Version : Petrol or Diesel

jimmyvw
02-04-2008, 01:49 PM
I am purchasing a Passat sedan but can't decide between the petrol or diesel.

I live in the city and only drive short distances daily. I might take a trip once a year driving 2-3 hours away but thats it.

I wanted some advise as to what are the advantages and disadvantages in petrol or diesel.

Thanks

guthrie
02-04-2008, 06:23 PM
If the 103kW tdi was the same price as the FSI petrol, I might have been tempted to go with the petrol motor.

However considering that the diesel was cheaper to start with, I couldnt justify in my own mind any major benefits to go with petrol. I sometimes miss the smoothness and sound of a petrol motor, but on the flip side enjoy the torque and economy of the diesel.

drbass
02-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Short distances in the city? Probably better off with the petrol.

Diesel takes a while to warm up (much longer than petrol).
Economy advantage on short drives is probably negligible.
Performance of the FSI engine has been described as pretty good: flat torque curve, relatively high torque, nice and smooth.
Less engine noise - if you're not used to the Diesel clutter it's a bit "different" ;-)!

Of course, the petrol only comes with the auto - wouldn't want to miss the DSG in my Diesel.

Ultimately I'd test-drive both. You'll be driving the car, you have to be comfortable. Maybe even consider the Jetta, slightly smaller car with all the associated advantages, particularly for city driving.

Hope this helps.

Seeya,
Michael
(who loves his Diesel - over 7500 km in 15 weeks!)

anthony
02-04-2008, 09:45 PM
I had the same dilemma when buying my Jetta last year,but went with the petrol.
Look at both,and consider the smaller,sportier Jetta as well.
Its boot is actually bigger than the Passats.
They look very similar on the road.

vanDub
02-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Its boot is actually bigger than the Passats.

Where did you get that from:n:.

Jetta boot = 527 litres, 1160mm long, 1364mm max width and 1009mm between wheel arches.
Passat boot = 565 litres, 1164mm long, 1412mm max width and 1014mm between wheel arches.

The Passat is bigger EVERY WHERE except weight. Jetta with TDI = 1540kg, Passat with TDI = 1526kg, and the Passat TDI has heaps more power / torque output available (until they make the upgraded TDI available in the Jetta)

jimmyvw
04-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Thank you for your help, I have some doubt as the fsi does not have the dsg but the v6 does have the dsg, does anyone know why this is?

I have left a deposit on 2 litre fsi have driven the 2 litre 125kw I was impressed by both but still confused in which one to purchase, I would only be putting on 10-15,000 km a year, am I making the right decision in choosing the fsi with no dsg????

Thanks

Lance B
04-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I had a similar dilemma, I couldn't decide between the V6 petrol 4 Motion and the 125Kw diesel. The 125Kw diesel was very tempting but as I previously had a Subaru Liberty 3.0lt AWD, I ended up deciding that I like the handling, extra grip and safety aspect of the 4Motion system.

Steve
04-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Thank you for your help, I have some doubt as the fsi does not have the dsg but the v6 does have the dsg, does anyone know why this is?

I have left a deposit on 2 litre fsi have driven the 2 litre 125kw I was impressed by both but still confused in which one to purchase, I would only be putting on 10-15,000 km a year, am I making the right decision in choosing the fsi with no dsg????

Thanks
Of the two choices, I'd go for the 125kw diesel. I love the 2.0 TFSI engine - it's in our Golf GTI - but without DSG and in a bigger, less sporty car... I'm not so sure it makes sense.

The diesel doesn't have as much power (although a chip will easily fix that) and is slower from a standing start to 100km/h but it has a veritable mountain of torque and achieves economy the TFSI just dreams about.

Mischa
05-04-2008, 02:32 AM
125kw diesel no question

guthrie
05-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I would guess the diesel should also have stronger resale? Fuel prices arent going to get any cheaper, so theoretically diesel will become even more tempting to buyers.

jimmyvw
09-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to you all for your help.

After a lot of thought I decided to go with the Diesel 125kw, and am very happy with my decisiion.

I am expecting my passat June/July, will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again you have all been a great help!

Jimmy vw

RWK
09-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Great choice and congrat !! Welcome aboard mate!

Steve
09-04-2008, 11:42 PM
After a lot of thought I decided to go with the Diesel 125kw, and am very happy with my decisiion.

Excellent :) You won't be disappointed :)