PDA

View Full Version : New to the world of Golf

'94 VR6
20-07-2006, 01:25 AM
whats happening Golf fans, im pretty new to the euro car scene and recently invested in a '94 VR6. im assumin its a MK3 or 3 series? i honestly dont know much too much about em and looking for advice on performance tunning and locations to do so in melbourne.

at the moment i need a new engine mount and looking into an air intake/filter. im looking into gettin polyurathane engine mounts but ive only found a place in sydney that could make them (replacing the orignial rubber with the polyurathane). im also having trouble locating a local VW performance tunning joint - ive had a look at a place called 'car shine', a place down near the airport but thats about it...

any assistance/advice on initial mods, performace upgrades etc would be sweet.

cheers.

golf3
20-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Hey buddy...

I'm your mk3 man in melbourne, along with TIMMEH!
He's got a vr6, and I'm doing a 16v conversion...(see the thread)

As everyone says, suspension first...

Now I have a set of eibach 30mm lowering springs that will fit your car.
Pickup price of $200. I'm in Camberwell.
(excuse the cheap sell)
You may also want to get some koni or bilstein sport shocks to match those to really get the most out of it...

Mounts...

Unless someone else can help me out here, they can get pricey...
I'd love some upgraded mounts to make the car feel a lot sportier, and i asked a mob in the states, black forest industries, but they don't ship international.

Otherwise, speak to the other guys about vr6's...
I have no clue...

But euro tuning is expensive, and not too many places either do the work, or know what they are talking about, or do know what they are talking about but can't be bothered helping you...

Ask as many questions as possible, we need the energy back into this forum!

Tim
20-07-2006, 09:42 AM
yeah ive never found anyone local that supplies the up rated engine mounts. I have had to import mine myself from the US. Carshine are good if youre interested in styling although they dont car much stock for mk3s anymroe. very helpful guys. Innital mods like sean suggests should be suspension if its not done yet!
Also some nice ducting to your intake and an exhaust will give u a bit more oomph and will also unleash the VR6 sound.

There are a heap of places in richmond that know their way around a VR6. German Autohaus, QSZ, Euroclass are a couple. I think there are more.. Cant remember off the top of my head.

Oh yeah!
Buy sean's springs!
LOL

Golf Loon
20-07-2006, 10:02 AM
I`ve got engine mounts. PM for details.

Welcome to the Golf World.

'94 VR6
20-07-2006, 01:38 PM
cheers fellas for the info - re the engine mounts, noltec in sydney are chargin $160 each with a 10 day turn around but im doubting if its worth it, thinking id rather save the $$ for some performance tuning.

Golf3, in sayin ur the Mk3 guy in melbourne - im assuming ur an extreme Enthusiast, or do u actually work on the cars? and thanks for the offer on the springs but im still lookin around/researching atm, not quite ready to make a move...

...and golf loon, let me hear bout those engine mounts of urs, what r they made of, price, condition.

ill be sure to check out those places in richmond too, cheers tim.

deemoE36
20-07-2006, 06:14 PM
welcome mate, pics of ur ride man...

golf3
20-07-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm just stupid and spend all my cash on my car...

And yes, i do all the work on it myself, but i don't do it for a career...

JUST FUN! (only sometimes it's fun)

DVR68U
20-07-2006, 07:33 PM
hey mate , ive got a '94 vr aswell , for the mounts if u want good uprated ones vf engineering are the best altho pricy. u can get them for a few shops in the states and they will ship to here. but once u get these they will never break. chip exhaust sus ;) thats what i would do altho i got my sus done first lol . if your goin to be keeping the car i would prob spend that bit more and get coilovers instead of springs and shocks tmtuning will sell u heaps of mk3 stuff of there website u should have a look.
http://www.tmtuning.com/main/html/main.html
http://www.vf-unplugged.net
cheers brenton

golfvr6
21-07-2006, 01:14 PM
welcome fellow vr6 golfer

the outlets for tuning your golf are pretty limited here in oz.

styling stuff - as per the others - carshine is prob the only option here.

chips - there are a few

suspension - few options here too.

exhaust - custom or buy a euro brand

air inlet/ filter - panel filter (and airbox mods) or pod (nice noise but potentially loss of power); ducted or not - cheap and probably easiest things to do

but some stuff is only going to be available from O/s

what condition is the car you bought? well looked after? i'd personally start making sure everything is still good and doesn't need fixin before i get into the mods.

welcome aboard!

Golf Loon
21-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Wise words on making sure a stock car is up to scratch before modifying.

I have heard many a sorry tale of turboing or tuning up weak engines with sad results :(

I have secondhand stock mounts if you are on a budget, otherwise polyurethane aftermarked from the bay of E are the GO.

'94 VR6
26-07-2006, 12:23 AM
cheers fellas for all the info, and sorry but i dont have any pics of my baby besides the one in my display. unfortunalty, tho recently entering the world of golf and being able to play afew holes....im sad to say ill be watching from behind the spectators line - 132km/h on the freeway (the monash for those from melbourne) last saturday night has seen my departure from the game for a month beginning 20/8! how unfortunate! good times tho, good times lol:D

golf3
26-07-2006, 07:30 AM
They're cracking down a lot on the monash, and have nabbed a lot of people for mobile phone use, following too closely, speeding, un-roadworthy vehicles, etc...

DVR68U
26-07-2006, 10:41 PM
132 man lucky u didnt sneaze and put that vr up to 220 ;) u must have been slowing down yeah :) hard luck on getting caught just be thankfull u werent goin flat out :D lol
cheers brenton

GoLfMan
27-07-2006, 09:01 AM
lol nice one man $hit happens do it on the back roads next time ;)

DVR68U
27-07-2006, 02:30 PM
do it on the back roads next time ;)
hahah thats what i do :D
cheers

moto
31-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Now I have a set of eibach 30mm lowering springs that will fit your car.
Pickup price of $200.
You may also want to get some koni or bilstein sport shocks to match those to really get the most out of it...

Dunno ... I wouldn't think too long. Geez I remember paying a damn site more than 200 bucks for a set of Eibachs! I think last time I tooled up the bill for springs and struts (including fitting)was around $1700 ... and that was quite a few years ago.

Theres good advice here.
Everything about a VR6 is pretty sweet out of the box but the std suspension can spring (excuse the pun) some nasty surprises as soon as you step off the freeway. Get the springs and then shell out for the struts to suit. You won't be sorry. Make it go faster later.