PDA

View Full Version : uneeded emmision tank things..?

finemk1
02-07-2005, 11:59 AM
was wondering if those reservoirs located under the wheel arches and in the engine bay are needed, i know they have something to do with emmisions standards, but what if have a 16v conversion, surely they can be taken out as this is different to carby models, or SHOULD you hook the 16v up to these tanks to keep the air clean!!!, or are they uneeded weight? does anybody know anything about this query?

Golf Loon
02-07-2005, 02:01 PM
The one under the drivers side guard smells and creates a bit of smoke sometimes if you disconnect it. And the tank petrol vapour one should surely still be connected.
Throw the golf one away and use a seat or audi, or later golf one, they are half the size and fit on more neatly.

imported_brackie
02-07-2005, 04:31 PM
The carbon canister absorbs hydrocarbons that evaporate from the fuel while the engine's off and allow then to be drawn back for combustion when the engine is restarted. No drain on your kilowatts and weighs practically nothing. Leave it there and hug a tree!

syncro
02-07-2005, 07:31 PM
The one under the wheel arch is for expansion. No drain on your kilowatts and weighs practically nothing.

finemk1
04-07-2005, 04:37 PM
hummmmmm well the one under my drivers side arch is conected to my intake pipe, at almost the same spot as my sump breather hose is, that is the only one i have. the one that lives next to the heater box was not there to begin with. i know there should beone there from previous golfs, but when i got the car it was in the boot, when i had my car engineered with a 16v no tanks were connected and it some how passed the emmisions test, not sure to thank optimax for that, ,which is the only fuel i use with 16v's, it very interesting what u guys said about the hydrocarbons withdrawral i might take on GOLF LOON's idear and get a new one from the seat and mount that up and use a the manual to guide me on how to hook it up,, this simple litttle problem could be one of the many factors ive been having with the car running rich and burning/wastage of needed petrol, ,

cheers dudes

syncro
04-07-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure of this but I think the charcoal cannister on a '76 is under the guard and on the German Golfs (GLS) it is up under the windscreen. Mine was missing and I used to have a petrol smell until I replaced it. They're put there for a reason, but you only need one.