PDA

View Full Version : New Specs on VW Aust Website

R36 Dreamer
01-04-2008, 08:11 AM
http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_au/New_Cars/passat/data_facts/information_prices.html

New Brochure to download showing the final specs for MY08 (including R36)

The Coolest new function is Park Assist -
Part Assist actively helps the driver when reversing into parallel parking spaces. The system works by using sensors mounted either side of the front bumper together with parking distance sensors front and rear.

To parallel park the driver needs to press the Park Assist button and use the appropriate indicator before the car passes the potential parking space. Sensors in the front bumper then scan the size of the parking space as the car is driven slowly past and the driver is alerted if the parking space is big enough. If there is sufficient space, the driver stops the car, selects reverse and let’s go of the steering wheel.
Park Assist will alert the driver of the intended reverse path in the Multi-Function Display, within the driver’s field of vision. Park Assist then actively supports the driver by taking over the steering control and parks the vehicle in the available space using the ideal course. The driver can however take over the control of the steering at any time and end the automatic parking procedure. The system can reverse into parking spaces on both the left hand and right hand side of the road, for example on one way streets.

COOL

Mischa
01-04-2008, 08:16 AM
wow now that is cool. i bet vw's system is 10x better than the lexus one too. this car is definitely at least as much luxury as it is sports car.

Vene
01-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Sadly not available on the R36 but I reckon I'd still park it manually.....by the time the system does it I'd be out of the car already ;)

R36 Dreamer
01-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Sadly not available on the R36 but I reckon I'd still park it manually.....by the time the system does it I'd be out of the car already ;)

I agree - I wouldn't option it for any other reason than gimmic factor.

Oh and it might stop my wife curbing my alloys!!

Vene
01-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Thing is she prob won't use it anyway and still end up kerbing your alloys rofl :D

Steve
01-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Sounds pretty interesting... I wonder why it's not available on the R36. Perhaps the body kit gets in the way of the sensors or something.

I doubt I'd use it though... my parents, on the other hand... they need rubber kerbs!

balkanac
01-04-2008, 11:26 AM
can you just hop out the car and let it park itself? If it can do everything by itself, i dont see the point of driver being in the car

Vene
01-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Doubt it. You'd still need some degree of control just in case of an emergency, i.e. a child runs behind the car or w/e.

Northy
01-04-2008, 05:17 PM
The passat pdf dosent even mention the R36....so where is all this new info?

Steve
01-04-2008, 05:44 PM
It's in the "technical data" PDF.

vanDub
01-04-2008, 08:41 PM
The Coolest new function is Park Assist -

Don't get too carried away folks. Read the fine print note at the bottom:

"^Available to order with Model Year 2009 production."

R36 Dreamer
02-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Don't get too carried away folks. Read the fine print note at the bottom:

"^Available to order with Model Year 2009 production."

I did see that, and it doesn't effect me as I have already ordered, and cannot change the specs etc.

Just thought it shows how tech savvy volkswagen are, and should point it out.