PDA

View Full Version : Main and Rod Bearings??

Preen59
29-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey hey!

l'm after .25 undersize main and rod bearings and intermediate shaft bearings for a 1.8 (KR) 16v.. Anyone know where i can get them locally? By locally i mean in AUS. Techtonics Tuning sell them but they aren't all that generous when it comes to price.

Oh, and i've tried Tooleys, and ofcourse they're out of stock right now and won't have any for a while...

Thanks guys!

-Preeny.

Peter Jones
29-03-2008, 07:23 PM
http://www.hsy.com.au/html/master.html

But only for trade. I have to dress in overalls and forge trade orders for them to serve me.

Pete

Oneofthegreats
29-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Good call Pete.

They alway's have heaps of stuff. That's probably the main supplier of part's for me.

If not, you could try VW. You never about the price of some of there part's.

The KR's have a three piece thrust bearing setup too!

There's no listing for the intermediate shaft bearing's.

I maybe wrong, but from my very poor memory there aren't any bearings for the intermediate shaft. It's a machined fit.

Preen59
29-03-2008, 07:53 PM
http://www.hsy.com.au/html/master.html

But only for trade. I have to dress in overalls and forge trade orders for them to serve me.

Pete

Thanks a heap Pete.

It's ok i'll get my old man to order them, he has his own auto mechanical business. Or i'll use my ABN and open up an account for TPR Engineering. :D

Preen59
29-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Good call Pete.

They alway's have heaps of stuff. That's probably the main supplier of part's for me.

If not, you could try VW. You never about the price of some of there part's.

The KR's have a three piece thrust bearing setup too!

There's no listing for the intermediate shaft bearing's.

I maybe wrong, but from my very poor memory there aren't any bearings for the intermediate shaft. It's a machined fit.

No, the intermediate shaft has bearings. They're coated, and when you hot wash them it eats the coating (as i found out).

TT and AutoTech (Autotech won't sell internationally, idiots..) sell the inter shaft bearings but i wanted to buy locally if possible, Actually i think my old man buys a bit of stuff from Hanvic South Yarra, i think my mum mentioned them the other day when dad said Tooleys were out of stock.

Mums pretty up on all that stuff because they used to run German Auto Parts (their own business here in Orange) up until about 10 years ago. Anyone remember them? They used to deal in aircooled stuff mainly.

The reason you won't find a listing is because they don't wear out (within reason.. :)) and so nobody over here stocks them (to my knowledge, but i hope i'm wrong).

Oneofthegreats
29-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Well there you go.

That's why there not on ETKA. I've never heard of them wearing out.

Anyway, when I got my Autotech stuff, it was that hard to explain to them that I was paying for it & send it to California. They still wouldn't do it. So I had to send some money to a friend of a friend to buy the stuff & send it to his house & it sat around till he brought it out here with him in his luggage.

I still don't understand what is so hard about mailing internationally. It's not that hard.

roccodingo
30-03-2008, 03:58 AM
No, the intermediate shaft has bearings. They're coated, and when you hot wash them it eats the coating (as i found out).

Hot tanking the block in caustic will erode the bearings, trick is to pull them out with a cam bearing tool BEFORE you tank it, then press them straight back in after washing, making sure you align the oil holes..need to watch out as some of the replacements come unmachined, need line boring after installation to get the shaft to fit.

.02$ worth..:D

Preen59
30-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Well there you go.

That's why there not on ETKA. I've never heard of them wearing out.

Anyway, when I got my Autotech stuff, it was that hard to explain to them that I was paying for it & send it to California. They still wouldn't do it. So I had to send some money to a friend of a friend to buy the stuff & send it to his house & it sat around till he brought it out here with him in his luggage.

I still don't understand what is so hard about mailing internationally. It's not that hard.

Most probably. :)

Yeah i'd organised with Rick Mcdonald (the drag engine builder we've become friends with that's helping dad with the top fuel engine) for me to pay for them and get them sent to him in San Marcos, and he would chuck them in with some other stuff of dads and send them off, but i don't think i'll bother. I'll just buy them from TT (hopefully just the rod bearings) and get the other bearings here.

Same as T4 bearings apparently.

twin eng, twin turbs
31-03-2008, 08:59 PM
I bought a set of intermediate shaft bearings, mains and big end bearings from gti imports but that was a while ago and Brians hard to get hold of. I have a tool turned up you can borrow for fitting them as they are different sizes for inner and outer bearings. Allways use vasolene or another lubricant to fit them so you dont scratch the white metal layer of the bearing surface when fitting them with the tool. My bearings were finished size when fitted which is the way to go. Make sure you dont get the bearings that require line boring after as they add a lot more cost to your build! :)

twin eng, twin turbs
31-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh yeah get some new welsh plugs aswell after hot tanking your block as the sealant will probably be eaten away along with some of the welsh plugs and will leak coolant!

Preen59
31-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Oh yeah get some new welsh plugs aswell after hot tanking your block as the sealant will probably be eaten away along with some of the welsh plugs and will leak coolant!

I removed all the plugs prior to tanking it. Should have new ones here this week. :)

twin eng, twin turbs
02-04-2008, 07:06 PM
You should have mentioned you needed new welsh plugs i did have access to every size possible for free through work but i quit today! :)

I removed all the plugs prior to tanking it. Should have new ones here this week. :)

Preen59
02-04-2008, 07:37 PM
You should have mentioned you needed new welsh plugs i did have access to every size possible for free through work but i quit today! :)

bugger!! that sucks..

gtimk5
03-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Stacks of them here! Cheap as too!!!

Preen59
03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Stacks of them here! Cheap as too!!!

PM sent dude. :D

Preen59
20-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Got the bearings this week.

All OK and all genuine.

Oh, and all cheap.

Thanks again Andrew!

gtimk5
21-04-2008, 08:27 AM
My pleasure Chris,
You are good to deal with. And I managed to source what might be the last 4 sets of aux. shaft bearings in the country!!! They are the tough ones to find.
Cheers and good luck with the build up. We will all be interested to see how it goes mate!
Andrew :)