PDA

View Full Version : Spluttering KJet.

Golf Loon
18-07-2006, 07:01 PM
86 Mk2 Running basic Kjet
Runs ok, but splutters and doesnt idle smoothly.
Most noticeable at idle, not too bad once driving along.

I have changed the fuel pump, its not that. I`m thinking injectors or seals.

Anyone got any ideas?

82cab
18-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Try adjusting the screw on either the throttle(not the idle screw) or the fuel distributor. It sounds like its running too rich or not getting enough air. I'd try leaning it out first but try to mark out how much you turn down the screw so you can return it to the same position if its not that. You don't want to open a can of worms.

Ps haven't forgotten about the fuel pump.I'll call you later.

Golf Loon
18-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Yeah that makes sense, the plugs were black. There is no adjustment on the throttle besides the idle. Where is the one on the air meter?

I thought you would have sorted the pump issue.
That new one is still here I can bring it on one of my citybound runs if you dont want to drive here.

82cab
18-07-2006, 08:56 PM
between the metering head where the fuel lines go and the where the rubber seal is there is a small hole in between on the aluminium section. You need a long allen key , i think it's a 3mm stick in in the hole and turn it anti clock wise . Try about a quarter of a turn and see what happens. As for the throttle body there is a small 8 mm nut and and adjustment screw that goes through it. screw it in and it will open the first butterfly up a bit is pretty close to the the idle screw. Have a close look and you'll find it. I can't stress to keep track of how much you turn everything. you don't want to get lost.
i've gt a pump in it now but its not the right one i thinks it out of a combi and it's a smaller diameter. its working but still not good enough

82cab
18-07-2006, 09:01 PM
i've got a near new pump but the aluminium casing is cracked. If you have one thats stuffed but with a good casing it would solve all my problems.

Golf Loon
18-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the tips, I thought the one on the throttle body was just throttle position stop screw. I`ll have a good look for the one on the metering head tomorrow.

I dont have a stuffed pump sorry. I chuck rubbish out.

h100vw
18-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the tips, I thought the one on the throttle body was just throttle position stop screw. I`ll have a good look for the one on the metering head tomorrow.

I dont have a stuffed pump sorry. I chuck rubbish out.

tickover screw should be facing the front of the car. It is made of brass, they do vibrate out sometimes. I like to clean them and the bypass hole with carb cleaner. Never fails to give a cleaner idle if they are covered in muck.

Gavin

Rednut
19-07-2006, 07:08 PM
any luck loonie-o. should be some extra weight in your bank too ;)

Golf Loon
19-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Running good now thanks Ray and the rest. A combo of the adjuster on the fuel metering head and the fast idle and the throttle stop screw and a long drive round Camden has resulted in a very driveable and smooth running car. Sweet. Still seems a bit slow, but I`m used to going everywhere in VR6 time.

Thanks rednut.