PDA

View Full Version : What brand are you switching to the Skoda from?

rym
27-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey folks, just wondering out loud in here what brand demographic that Skoda drivers are coming from?

I'm going from a Subaroo to the Skoda Octavia. Just thinking to myself that perhaps Skoda drivers are similar demographic to Subaru. Possibly even ex Mazda drivers also.

My wheels thus far:
Cars: Have had 2 x Mazdas, 2 x Subarus, 1 x mitsubishi (1st car - cheap).
Bikes: 2 x Hondas, 2 x Yamahas.

gregozedobe
27-03-2008, 10:41 PM
From most recent to oldest:

4 wheels: Octavia RS wagon (on order), T5 Transporter van, Landcruiser wagon, Landcruiser ute, Laser hatch (still got it after 18 years), Alfa sedan, Corolla sedan, Corona sedan, Holden Ute, Celica, Holden Ute.

2 wheels: Yamaha 1100 (road), Honda 750 (road), Yamaha 500 (trail), Montesa 349 (trial), Yamaha 250 (trial), Montesa 172 (trial), Yamaha 250 (trial), Yamaha 360 (trail) (may have missed a bike or 2 from the 70's or 80's)

rym
28-03-2008, 05:53 AM
gregozedobe, I should include some of my earlier wheels, and what cars and bike...etc. That ones that I should add were

Cars: Mitsi Sigma (1st car), Laser Tx3 4wd (that was a go kart and fun), worst car was a ford falcon, which I only had for a few months. Mazda Mx5 (capital fun), Mx6 (fun if you like massive torgue steer), Subaru RS Impreza, Subaru Liberty 3.0.

Bikes: Suzuki GN250 (beginner ride), I did have kwaka 750, a Suzuki 1000cc vtwin, Honda CBR600rr, CBR900rr, Yamaha TTR230, Yamaha R1 1st series & now Yamaha R1 3rd series.

DanSA
28-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Swithching from VW, so not far. Golf was great , especially 2.0TDI/DSG combo, but we needed a bigger car (wagon) with 2 growing kids and 2 dogs.

Previous rides include:

1. 76 Red Triumph Spitfire MkIV (had every combination of bolt&nut std’s on it AF,Whitworth, Metric )
2. 72 Orange Beetle with a canon exhaust (damm loud )
3. 76 Blue/White VW Kombi 1600 (used to go round Europe)
4. 82 Ford Cortina wagon 4cyl (used to travel round OZ)
5. 70 Black Datsun 240Z (still can’t believe I sold it )
6. 76 Bronze Datsun 260Z 2+2
7. 88 Blue Subaru Leone 1600 (pile of poo with enough emulsion in the oil to paint a house, still for $150…)
8. 95 Burgundy Nissan Skyline R33 GTSt (sooo much fun, modded to 300hp )
9. 90 Silver Subaru Liberty LX (301k and still going strong – with the folks)
10. 95 Black Peugeot 306 S16 (great car, so similar to RSC – but slower)
11. 98 White Mistu Magna wagon (kids…)
12. 05 Silver VW Golf TDi DSG (torque monster)
13. 02 Black Renault Sport Clio 172 (best fun on 2 wheels)
14. 05 Black Honda Jazz VTi CVT - current
15. 07 Black vRS Wagon - current

As you can see, I have no issues switching brands.. fit for purpose is my motto. :rolleyes:

Frufru
30-03-2008, 07:02 PM
I am switching from 1989 Mitsubishi Colt and I cant wait. Colt is now running on about 2.5 cylinders, has glue holding its coolant due to corroded pipes and other "tweaks" :mad: to ensure that it does not fall apart for another couple of days. When driving , it violently shakes for no apparent reason. I am hoping to get my Skoda delivered next week.

GRAZI
30-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Came from 1.9tdi golf to
my white Octavia Elegance 2litre diesel AWD wagon,its a beautifully built car that is perfect for a lot of dirt road driving I do in Byron Hinterland,.....The combo of AWD,6sp man,diesel wagon is a winner and the only brand in Aus doing it.
The car has a solidity and engineered quality./ that leaves golf for dead.

mrx
31-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Well, having driven the new Forester XT it looks like we'll be joining the Skoda club too, provided they come to the party on the pricing (my wife's a tough negotiator). Blue or Black RS wagon. I'll be trading in an '05 Honda CRV, but also will be keeping my '07 Golf GTI, and am a former Subaru Impreza RS owner.

CanberravRS
31-03-2008, 08:33 PM
1) Triumph 2000mk1
2) Subaru Leone 83 ( modified with 40mm webber 4wd and so forth)
4) Ford Laser S KB (mums car that i destroyed)
5) Subaru Liberty GX ( I got old to quick)
6) Subaru RX Turbo 85 ( became my first Rally Car)
7) Datsun 1200 Coupe ( A14GX powered)
8) Subaru Brumby ute ( transfered rally car driveline to this eventually 10.5 sec quarter mile) lol
9) BMW 323 E30 ( soooo much fun)
10) Subaru RX Turbo Rally car ( former 85-86 ARC championship winning car)
11) 280ZX (**** box)
12) E36 325 (Mild but wild)
13) R52 Mini Cooper S ( highly modified 170kw at front wheels)
14) KJ Jeep Cherokee ( FUEL GUZZLER)
15) 1974 Mini Clubman S/GT1275 ( i still have this one)
16) The one.. the only... SKODA OCTAVIA vRS Race Blue Wagon!!!! woooooot

DanSA
01-04-2008, 06:57 AM
Glad to see Im not the only one one who likes to dabble... :D

Seems like we have a few similar cars mate, my Leone was only 2WD tho, and was bought for the princely sum of $150 - drove like it too..:n:

Something tells me it wont be too long before the RS sees some minor additions.

Koni FSD's seem to be highly recommened - group buy? j:

rym
01-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Dan, CanberravRS, that's a nice collection that you have...

A Brumby that pulls a 10.5 quartermile, that's hilarious!

Hmmm... that gets me thinking of why I might do to my Greenfield Rideon Mower...?

Onto serious matter. It's confirmed, I'm pciking up a Skoda this week! Time to become a rolling Billboard for Skoda.:)

DanSA
02-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Great news Rym - enjoy! :cool:

rym
03-04-2008, 03:17 AM
Thanks Dan, I still haven't seen a single comrade so far...
I can't remember what tyres the STD spec Elegance 1.8 model comes with? I've seen Contis and yet heard journos write ups with them being Bridgie Turanza ER300s. Not sure if there's much diff? I guess I will post the update on what it is and how they perform when it comes. My experience with Bridgie performance tyres have been good in the past, but the Turanza is a touring tyre. Never had Contis before.

Dave R32
13-04-2008, 12:30 PM
For the Skoka I traded a 2004 BA Ford XR6.

Prior to that I have had
2000 A4 Audi Avant 1.8TQ
2002 Passat 1.8T
A selection of company cars
AE82 Toyota Corolla with the 4AGE twin can engine
1976 ZG Fairlane
1967 VC Valiant
1964 XM Falcon

My wife has had
2 x Hyundai's
2 x Mazda's a 121 and a 626
1 x Corona

She now drives the R32.

Cheers
Dave.

mrx
13-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Since I'll be an "official" Skoda owner as of tomorrow, here's my full list:

'07 VW Golf GTI (keeping this)
'05 Honda CRV (losing this tomorrow :))
'91 Nissan Pulsar
'01 Subaru Impreza RS
'97 Mazda 626
'91 Daihatsu Charade (the beefy 4cyl one)
'89 Daihatsu Charade (Daihatsu Challenge Rally Car - I was *****)
'77 Mini Clubman
'79 Alfa Romeo Alfetta 2.0
'73 Datsun 1200

CanberravRS
16-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Glad to see Im not the only one one who likes to dabble... :D

Seems like we have a few similar cars mate, my Leone was only 2WD tho, and was bought for the princely sum of $150 - drove like it too..:n:

Something tells me it wont be too long before the RS sees some minor additions.

Koni FSD's seem to be highly recommened - group buy? j:

HAHHAHA yeah well im at the point now where a little dable on the ECU and exhaust/intake might be on the cards... Mind you the car gets quicker everyday as it gets cold.. with Canberra's lovely 3-4 deg mornings its making the run to work soooo much fun.. im always looking to have a little blast.

DanSA
16-04-2008, 07:45 PM
I noticed the same this morning, down to 5 in the hills - nice! :cool:

MJKooLio
05-05-2008, 09:12 PM
ummmm...... from a Citroen to a Skoda... thats what's next... i dis like my PSA product... waiting another hrrmmm maybe 6 months to get the Skoda.. and by then they better have a DSG RS!! :D

zz2
05-05-2008, 09:20 PM
ummmm...... from a Citroen to a Skoda... thats what's next... i dis like my PSA product... waiting another hrrmmm maybe 6 months to get the Skoda.. and by then they better have a DSG RS!! :D

WHATT!! i didnt know you were having issues with your C2 Matt! you should look at a GTI with DSG too. i can show mine of you want.

MJKooLio
05-05-2008, 10:02 PM
haha your here too!!?

well... if the RS can come out with a DSG that would be grand...!!!

But I want to know if the DSG would be like the C2's gear box with out a clutch.. why couldn't i just type clutch less manual box? haha

I don't want to feel the chugg between the gears... I want something smooth! 6 spd Auto Octavia Elegance? mmmm... test drive on Wednesday evening! Can't wait!

Oh but I test drove the Golf GT last year right when it was launched... not sure or don't remember which gear box.. but the steering was too stiff and I didn't enjoy it.. sooo no go with the GT or no go with a Golf at all? But if I could have I should have bought a Cooper S!

zz2
05-05-2008, 10:14 PM
haha your here too!!?

well... if the RS can come out with a DSG that would be grand...!!!

But I want to know if the DSG would be like the C2's gear box with out a clutch.. why couldn't i just type clutch less manual box? haha

I don't want to feel the chugg between the gears... I want something smooth! 6 spd Auto Octavia Elegance? mmmm... test drive on Wednesday evening! Can't wait!

Oh but I test drove the Golf GT last year right when it was launched... not sure or don't remember which gear box.. but the steering was too stiff and I didn't enjoy it.. sooo no go with the GT or no go with a Golf at all? But if I could have I should have bought a Cooper S!

firstly if you thought the golfs steering was too heavy then you're a sissy lol. the minis steering is way heavier in comparison!
i think you should look at a GTI. the octavia will feel like a barge in comparison to your little C2!

also the DSG is NOTHING like the box in the C2. it uses 2 clutches and the up and down changes are totally seamless. im not going to attempt to explain how it works (as i really cbf and you can find heaps of info about it on google) theres no denying its the best auto box out there. forget a torque converter slushbox!

MJKooLio
05-05-2008, 10:17 PM
haha wellll....

The MINI i loved driving around! Mrk I and Mrk II!

Well there is a DSG in the Octavia... sooo maybe? :p

haha wait you've got a DSG in your Golf?