PDA

View Full Version : No Spark on 5+5

ValveBounce
27-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Hey fellas, bit of help needed.
My Audi 5+5 wouldnt start, so I decided to pull the coil lead from the distributor to see if it had spark. It did, but a weak yellow colour spark.
Then I pulled a plug out, but it didnt have spark. I tried another cylinder and it was the same.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my coil is shot or if there is something else I should be having a look at?
Im taking the leads, dizzy cap and rotor for the mechanics at work to look/test tomorrow.
I would really appreciate the help.
Thanks

Jmac
27-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Sounds like a snow ball of things there mate. How good is your battery first of all, is it strong??? And yeah yellow spark, could be high resistance in your lead (king lead) and could also be the coil, fit some leads, clean the cap inside and out check for cracks, and check the condition of the rotor arm, make sure the carbon brush in the centre of the cap is intact, but before i go too far what is your engine number??? and the age guessing around 1985 ish
CHeers
Jmac:D

ValveBounce
27-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks mate!
I cleaned the cap and rotor up the other day with a bit of 1500 grit paper and cleaned it out with WD40 and then wiped it out. But the terminals in the cap do look a bit corroded still.
My battery is fine, It hasnt been used for a little while but managed to start my rodeo up no probs.

Just say its a rotor/dizzycap/leads combo problem, am I able to get them from your usual parts store? (repco, supercheap etc) or are they something that has to be factory as the leads dont look like anything ive ever seen before.

And yeah, ill get the engine number for you tomorrow when its still light. The previous owner told me its a 90 engine 2.3L.

Thanks Jmac.

Jmac
27-03-2008, 10:23 PM
if it is a 90 it will be a NG engine, yeah good question about your leads mate the cap from memory has pins in each slot and the leads are at 90 degrees, im sure i have bought them aftermarket , almost certain mate, last time i did a set they wer Quantum ones geez nostalgia kicks in now hey they supply OEM bits in the Uk for Audi and VW. Call around the European aftermarket joints im sure you can mate
CHeers
Jmac

ValveBounce
28-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Yeah, same leads as you have described Jmac, and they run through a plastic tube.
Mechanic at work said the dizzy cap, rotor and leads are all shot.
Its so anoying, I just get the car going then it stops working cause its a spark problem instead of fuel. I may end up with a new car by the time I get it on the road! haha.
With out trying to look in the dark and using the rego paper (got home late again) the engine number is we056643, VIN is AU222812CA079038.
Ide love to know what you think/know of these Jmac.
Thanks mate.

Jmac
29-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi mate, the C in your chassis number tells us it is a 1982 vehicle and none at that age had a 2.3. The engine number on the Rego is probably the original engine number. 2.3 was used at a much later date mate, anyway 5cyl 2.3 motors are strong as an ox mate, keep the thing serviced, oil and filter regular and the cam belt at the right time and it will serve you well. Ive no doubt the cap , leads and rotor arm arm shot done countless amounts of them mate. If you had a conversion im not sur what coil you will be running there then, c how you go with the secondary ign parts, I had several older Audis , i had a 1985 90 when i was an apprentice, then an Audi Coupe which was 20v and then i owned a UR Audi Quattro RR engine 2.3 Turbo YEHAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
Jmac