PDA

View Full Version : Common Rail Diesel

vanDub
26-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Having a play with the VW UK site building a passat and I noticed that both 2.0 TDI engines are listed as common rail diesels.

I knew they were coming but if the "to and froms" have it already for the MY08 it seems like they should be here soon, but most probably not til the MY09.

Are we getting the leftovers or is there another good reason why they aren't here as well?:?

phaeton
27-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Hmmm I have the latest Volkswagen Driver mag (UK Publication) and it mentioned CR now in Passats.

I honestly don't know when we will be allocated the new tech, if the UK being a RHD country is just receiving the new diesels then we can;t be too far behind.

So a year, year and a half is my estimate ;)

drbass
27-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi,

2.0l CR TDI engines (103 kW only) have been used for Passats built in Germany for the European market (not sure about GB) since calendar week 10, and some users in a German online forum are starting to give first reports. Looks like they're quieter, less "Diesel" than the PD version.

Not sure when the 125 kW version will be available as CR.

As for the Australian market, well, anybody's guess I would say. Always a little bit "behind" (a... end of the world, I suppose ;-)!). Having said that, they shouldn't be too far away since it doesn't make sense to have PD and CR versions at the same time - we might be surprised.

Seeya,
Michael

vanDub
27-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Not sure when the 125 kW version will be available as CR.

Just to reiterate, VW UK states both (140 PS=103Kw and 170PS=125Kw) TDI engines are CR

Just as the rest of the diesel world is going or has been CR for some time, VW obviously have ditched their lauded PD technology to go to something (CR) that they now believe is better. I just wonder why we are forced to stay with the old technology while the rest get the new.:mad:

vlado
05-04-2008, 02:13 PM
If you look at Volkswagen Australia web site, in the Passat specifications for MY08 it list 103Kw engine as Common Rail.

vlado

vanDub
05-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Well spotted Vlado,

New specs effective 04/08 has 103Kw TDI as CR but 125Kw is still PD.

Almost makes me wish that dealer screws up my order so that I have the option of rejecting my car and starting all over again with CR in the equation. Can't be too long before 125kw CR is available.

I can handle the wait as my original order is for my retirement car (about 2-3 years earlier than planned), brought on by investigating the Jetta 07 runout deals only to be lured to a Passat after test drives.

jets
06-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Just to reiterate, VW UK states both (140 PS=103Kw and 170PS=125Kw) TDI engines are CR

Just as the rest of the diesel world is going or has been CR for some time, VW obviously have ditched their lauded PD technology to go to something (CR) that they now believe is better. I just wonder why we are forced to stay with the old technology while the rest get the new.:mad:

There is nothing wrong or inferior with the existing PD technology in fact in some ways may be better. The only reason that they are moving to CR is the injection timing can be altered to reduce emmisions even further. They also didn't want to spend the money on developing two different systems.[ref. article in TDI club]
The new Tiguan at the motor show & featured in the new Volkswagen Magazine features CR for the 103TDI.

vlado
07-04-2008, 12:16 PM
There is nothing wrong or inferior with the existing PD technology in fact in some ways may be better. The only reason that they are moving to CR is the injection timing can be altered to reduce emmisions even further. They also didn't want to spend the money on developing two different systems.[ref. article in TDI club]
The new Tiguan at the motor show & featured in the new Volkswagen Magazine features CR for the 103TDI.

Jets,
Any chance of posting the URL for the TDI club article?

Thanks.

phaeton
07-04-2008, 06:34 PM
x2 ^^

& good catch vlado & welcome here j:

jets
07-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Jets,
Any chance of posting the URL for the TDI club article?

Thanks.

Can't find it now. I reckon it was at least 2 years ago when I bought my Golf.
Heres the home page link, you may want to poke around. I can't even recall which section it was in, it may have been under TDI news.

http://www.tdiclub.com/