PDA

View Full Version : Traction control

ibeezer
16-07-2006, 09:52 PM
I found out recently some ibiza's came with traction control. Ive had a look in my owners manual but it dosent mention anything about it. Maybe it was only for the euro market? Or on the 8v? Seems a bit pointless on a stock 16v cos its so docile below 2000rpm.

45set
16-07-2006, 10:46 PM
what model do you have??

the GTi and below didn't have it... but the Cupra did... the GTi was also ment to have ABS... but no light ever turned on... and one wheel locked up on a few occations when i use to have my GTi

ibeezer
16-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Its a cupra. My mate had an 8v gti that had abs. Only saw the light on when he cranked it tho. That same friend now has a cupra, his is a lot younger than mine, can get his to loose traction (a bit) when he drops the clutch. but not minehttp://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/images/icons/icon9.gif

Valver.
17-07-2006, 07:54 AM
It's not traction control in the true sense of the word. It's filtered through the ABS system on the Cupra and works below 40kph. If you put one wheel on the grass and drop the clutch with enough revs to spin the wheels, the ABS system feathers the brake on the wheel with the least traction so the car pulls away in a straight line. They call it EDL (for Electronic Diff' Lock) but it's not anything to do with a diff, it's just that it balances power to the front wheels to offer the best traction to the best planted wheel, like an LSD.

Pretty useless system really - you might've noticed that when you launch the car from the line that it always pulls pretty straight, though :)

Golf Loon
17-07-2006, 09:20 AM
My GTI has ABS and it works, but it locks a rear wheel on ocassion. No warning light comes on either. Funny that its the same on all these cars. Just a crap system.

ibeezer
17-07-2006, 04:39 PM
The light might be to indicate a fault in the abs

aprr32
17-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Thats right, the ABS warning light only comes on to show a fault.The ESP light on late models comes on when it's working.