PDA

View Full Version : T4 Starting woes

Golf Loon
16-07-2006, 07:27 PM
The T4 had a bit of a knock, I broke an engine mount and the car took a big jolt. All is now fixed, or so I thought.

I drove to pickup a trampoline about 5 ks away and when I went to drive off, van wouldn`t start. It spluttered a bit, but wouldn`t kick over. Me and a random stranger pushed her up the street and she clutch started.

Now its at home, but it wont start. Its not the warm up sensor, as it makes no difference connected or not. I can smell fuel, but not hear the pump and it was too hard to test for spark on my own in the dusk.

Anyone have any ideas?

My theories are that the bump has dislodged gunk in the fuel lines, or the dissy has taken a knock.

MK2 GTI
16-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Try changing relay 30, they play up a bit and its the cheapest solution, if its not that the fuel pumps go on them often, after a few years. I also change alot of coil packs, do you have a spare one to test? takes 2 seconds to plug in and check.

Golf Loon
17-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Good skills Mk2 GTI. I had changed relay 30 recently and it was not that.

Looking at the positioning of the coil, right at the front where the van took a knock, I was suspicious. Plugged it in, van runs sweet as.

Incidentally, I did not have a T4 coil to hand, so tried one from a Seat Ibiza 1.4. The two looked the same, and as far as I can see, are identical. The van runs the same as before anyway.

Thanks for your help, glad it wasn`t the fuel pump.

aprr32
17-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Polo's Golfs 3's Seats and T4's have always had problems with the coil.They develop cracks across the top.Also the map hose to the ECU fills withs fuel(remove and blow out) and the map sensor goes in the ECU(send away to replace).

MK2 GTI
17-07-2006, 09:43 PM
yeh once ya steam clean the engine bay they always play up or blow up.

Golf Loon
17-07-2006, 11:16 PM
The old T4 coil has no cracks and I have a cracked SEAT one here. I`ll try and cobble the two together one rainy day I reckon.