PDA

View Full Version : Oil Coolers

abreut
24-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows a good place to get oil coolers.

There are heaps of very affordable coolers on ebay however I am finding that despite there being every conceivable configuration in terms of how many rows the oil coolers have, they all seem to be the same core length. They all tend to be about 33cm long including end tanks and mounts. I am having trouble finding cores that are shorter. Unfortunately I need something around 15x20 in total, and thickness up to 7cm. No-one seems to sell coolers in those sizes except for Capa and they are expensive.

I just have no room left in the grill area and I really don't want to mount below the front apron or any hideous out-in-front mounting.

Oneofthegreats
24-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I'd go a standard VW T1 upright Beetle oil cooler. That's all the stock GTI one's are. They're pretty good as long as you've got a wide mouth Mk1 grill to get plenty of air flow across it.

Just make sure you flush it out first.

Get a universal sandwich plate/adapter, some hoses & fitting's & your set.

h100vw
24-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Depending what you want to use the car for, you might find the Beetle/Golf GTI one is too small.

They were pretty marginal on the Beetle GT and the MK1 Golf had 110hp.

The thermostat is important, one that opens at 80 degrees is worth getting if you go aftermarket. You could probably get a MK1 GTI setup from ebay in the UK. At least with that set up everything is in the filter mount.

Gavin

abreut
24-03-2008, 07:22 PM
I actually have a stock gti cooler but it won't fit. I am running a 16vt and with an intercooler, 2.5" IC pipes running into the IC, and a radiator I no longer have the full height from the radiator support up to the top of the grill and I have no room to mount infront of the IC or radiator. Basically I have a 2.5" IC pipe running along the radiator support panel so that leaves me with a bit over 20cms instead of just over 30cms, and the standard gti cooler is about 30cms.

Currently I am running the gti oil filter/oil cooler outlet and I have a mercedes oil cooler which is really long and narrow. The only place I could fit it was horizontal behind the radiator support panel and it gets no air flow. When I went to a track day the oil temp was starting to get toward 120 degrees so I want to get something in the air flow thats going to get the temp down. I could make ducting for the merc cooler but there is no substitute for getting something right into the air flow. Just hard to find something that fits!

static1800
24-03-2008, 07:27 PM
I am running a 16vt and with an intercooler, 2.5" IC pipes running into the IC

pics or ban j:

Oneofthegreats
24-03-2008, 07:41 PM
The GTI oil cooler sit's right next to the radiator.

Another option I've seen done is use a long thin cooler in front of the radiator like what you descirbed underneath the intercooler.
If it's a plastic bumper, then cut out a section of the front bumper bar incl. the reinforcement the width of the oil cooler.
Glue some flyscreen mesh across the opening of the bumper from behind. At a quick glance, you can't tell the difference. Very effective.

This is a perfect example

http://xs125.xs.to/xs125/08131/golf1112.jpg (http://xs.to)

abreut
24-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Thats actually not a bad idea - I might investigate whether the merc cooler will fit inside the bumper. Its a pretty nice cooler really, just hard to fit in a small car! Then its just a matter of routing the lines.

I have also thought about cutting into the gti chin spoiler and making up some ducting.

Heres a pic, can't see that much but you get the idea - take into account the end tank of the IC and there aint much room on the drivers side. On the passenger side I have the radiator as far over as possible (so that it gets as much direct airflow as possible). Bare in mind that any available space on either side of the IC has 2.5" IC pipe running along the radiator support - so theres no room for a full height oil-cooler.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/abreut/IMG_2753.jpg