PDA

View Full Version : T4 Gearlinkage advice please

Golf Loon
14-07-2006, 08:21 PM
I have a 95 T4 and it broke an engine mount the other day, the one on the back which is a bitch to change. Well that job is done, but the engine hanging down has pushed the linkages awry and I cant get em back in!

If I look down on the gearbox standing in front of the van, there is a T bar with a plastic bush on each end. The lefthand side looks like it needs to go through the metal loop, but I dont see how it can fit. Anyone know?

MK2 GTI
14-07-2006, 09:20 PM
It's pretty common for the gearstick bushes to go on them, Theres meant to be a rubber ball on each end of the T-bar and the left hand one is meant to pop into a rubber bush that is mounted on the gearbox with a metal bracket, id say the bush has popped out of the metal bracket (Its tricky to pop the ball back into the bush without the bush popping out of the bracket again)

brackie
14-07-2006, 09:29 PM
If the linkage is ball 'n socket at each end, get one in and if you've room twitch a bit of copper wire to secure it and then work on the other end. I've used this technique on other vehicles (eg Range Rover carbie inkages) and it works. The copper wire can either be cut off or just left there and it'll drop off in its own good time.

Bug_racer
14-07-2006, 11:31 PM
I generally get a new bush and pull the whole thing out through the back , fit it then slide it back in .
You could get away with it if it was a 4 cylinder , but 5 cylinder is too tight , easier to remove the lot

Golf Loon
15-07-2006, 05:24 PM
It's pretty common for the gearstick bushes to go on them, Theres meant to be a rubber ball on each end of the T-bar and the left hand one is meant to pop into a rubber bush that is mounted on the gearbox with a metal bracket, id say the bush has popped out of the metal bracket (Its tricky to pop the ball back into the bush without the bush popping out of the bracket again)

Yeah thats exacyly the problem I had. I pushed the rubber bush half out of the metal bracket, slotted the ball into the socket and forced the whole lot into the bracket. I had to loosten the other end of the T so as not to strain the box. Its in, it works as good as new. Thanks Guys.