PDA

View Full Version : Pinging

Jmac
23-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Hey fellas , req some technical opinion, I have an A4 1.8T presented with pinging under light load in and around back streets, quite audible. Knock sensors are working all cylinders retarding ok, plugs ok coolant temp good, Bp ultimate with octane booster, no codes , havent taken a log of fuel trim??? maybe the route to go ??? im thinking now possible clogged filter or pressure may be down? Only other thing for the ping maybe IAT? or upper cylinder clean req,d.
Everthing checks out ok- weird one, of course when i go to log it doesnt do it!!!!!! Like going to the dentist i think this vehicles is scared from VAGCOM:D,
Anyway got a couple of minor things to check anyone want to throw something into the ring????? Usually it is crap fuel but this guy is doing the right thing.
CHeers
Jmac

Golf Loon
23-03-2008, 04:14 PM
I have seen a couple of cars this week running badly from fuel issues. Both had filled up with 98, but when we drained em it was the wrong colour, yellow and didnt burn right. Maybe some bad batches about withthe petrol shortage and easter hols.

Also could it be the module that controls the coilpacks? That could present as a miss and wont throw a code.

Jmac
23-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah like i say its usually crap fuel that causes dramas with these engines, ive done a misfire counter check too , no dramas there and really in general this particular vehicle runs very well and is in all checking out ok , just a poor combustion intermittantly, which is shocking really considering the cost of the bloody fuel. The octane booster will do no good i suppose if the fuel is rubbish, might let him role with it for a couple of weeks and just instruct to use the best tool when this is happening ( his right foot) to ease of till the he has ran a couple of tanks with some treatment.
Cheers
Jmac

Bug_racer
23-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Check fuel pressure both at idle and under load .
put in 1 heat range colder plug
measure intake air temp

Jmac
23-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Air intake temp 46 degrees when i checked it mate , yeah i was thinking about the plug choice might just be enough to lower the cylinder temp, yeah like my earlier post i was leaning at a clogged fuel filter hey.
Cheers man;)