PDA

View Full Version : Blow Off Valve on a TDI?

Preen59
22-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about putting a BOV on my 07 caddy 1.9 TDI, mainly just for laughs. j:

Anyone done it? Will it upset the EMS? any info would be appreciated..

Thanks.

-Preeny.

Greg Roles
22-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Dude, you can....but......

A blowoff valve is designed to stop pressure buildup against a closed throttle, which can stall the turbo.

A diesel has no throttle......

So anyone in the know will think you are a bit dim......

Your call.....

gregozedobe
22-03-2008, 10:05 PM
And it will actually reduce performance as the air that is leaving via the BOV will no longer be going through the (exhaust side) of your turbo and producing boost. In short, don't do it.

Mischa
22-03-2008, 10:40 PM
get one of those fake ones thats just a speaker that makes a bov sound j:

gldgti
23-03-2008, 08:01 AM
although i dont support the idea on principal (although for laughs...maybe) look here:

http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6670

have fun :-)

SoVeReIgN
23-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Mate of mine has one on his diesel Patrol

Preen59
23-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I've gotta say i'm not really up on the diesel tech. All the work i've done is with petrol engines and while i know how a diesel works mechanically, i didn't realise the inlet is so much different.

I don't really like turbochargers to be honest (and i really hate those c**ks with skylines etc with BOV's with the big trumpets and crap that dump 3 psi and make it sound like the volume is nearly lifting the bonnet off). If VW had a supercharged diesel (yes, i know it would get slightly less fuel economy) i'd buy that instead in an instant. I am impressed with my caddy though for performance, fuel economy, and basically everything. It's a great unit, i just don't like turbochargers and turbo lag.

If the diesel induction setup is so much different, i won't bother. I just wanted to do it for a laugh.

But thanks anyways guys.. You diesel techs post some very interesting articles. :)

gldgti
24-03-2008, 06:19 PM
mmm supercharged diesel mmmmmmm