PDA

View Full Version : Project: '76 Golf GL - the resto begins!

22-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi all,

This is our MK1 Golf - it's a '76 GL 5 door with the 4 speed manual and carby motor. Justin (celestine) and myself purchased it with the hope of restoring it to its former glory! We are both avid DIY'ers when it comes to cars, so we had no problem digging into this much much bigger project.

We're both fairly new to VW's by some standards, with Justin only having his modded '07 Polo for about a year and my Polo GTI being the youngest at just 3 months old - a far cry from the 32yr old Golf http://www.ozedition.org/images/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif But the obsession is flowing thick and fast with influences from here, VW Vortex and Performance VW mag.

We landed this:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050166Small-1.jpg

Work began about a week ago, first job was to strip the interior out and check for rust - and boy did we find some! As some of you may be aware, these are the pic's we posted in the help thread:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050176Small-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050178Small-1.jpg

Not quite what we had in mind!!

22-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Since that discovery we thought we'd better keep on looking for any more serious problems. So we started looking! Only notable mention is the bottom of one of the quarter panels has been eaten away where it bolts onto the body.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050181Small-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050188Small-1.jpg
Someone liquid nailed the tail lights in - what a mess! Not the mention the wiring...

22-03-2008, 07:32 PM
After some careful considerations and Justin talking with a few members on here (Jimmymac and GolfLoon to name a few!) we decided to keep going with the car and weld in a new floor section and cut and bog up the exterior rust.

This is where we are today - cleaned majority of spare wheel well out, stripped A pillars & guard, degreased floors and cut out the rust in the floor pan.

We soon found some help to cut the floor out :D

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050202Small-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050210Small-1.jpg
Drivers side A pillar - previously been bogged up

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050214Small-1.jpg
Passengers floor pan goooone! Justin picked up a sheet of 1.6mm steel to form the new floor.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050212Small-1.jpg
Partial cleaning of other footwells

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050209Small-1.jpg
Spare tyre well - surprisingly rust free with only a few small holes, considering.

Preen59
22-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Looks like a pretty sound base apart from the rust in the floor. Love to see someone else doing a 4 door.. :)

GoLfMan
23-03-2008, 08:26 AM
great work fellas great to see another one being saved!

GoLfMan
23-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Love to see someone else doing a 4 door.. :)
ditto that :)

Preen59
23-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey i just realised... Your car was the same colour originally as mine was originally. :) Mine's a year newer and a GLS though.

Golf Loon
23-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Leave a drainhole in the spare wheel well. That will save it for years to come ;)

Jarred
23-03-2008, 11:32 AM
nice work boys. looks like a pretty good base for some DIY! I rekcon you'll have a ball with it.

a few things though, a) you have a swallowtail, which is cool, and 4 door will be good to, something different!

and, I'm surprised to see the rust in the A pillars, from what I know, not many 76's rust in the A pillars, but all (well most) or that later ones do, or are at least more prone to rusting there!

What are the plans for the car? colour? engine? look?

static1800
23-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Just had to do a double take then the interior colour is blue and exterior red, same blue as mine aswell :)

Goodluck with the project mate, mine has similar rust in the pan although not as bad.

23-03-2008, 01:48 PM
GolfLoon: Already one there, will make sure it's cleaned out.

Jarred: I was always under the impression that the swallowtail feature was only on 2drs, but I just did some more research on it. I'm guessing a '76 4dr swallowtail is a little rare then?

Couple of interesting points - brake lines inside not outside (early model thing?) & front seats have optional headrest (rare-ish so I've read?). You've certainly gotten me even more inspired now!

Plans are to restore it to close to original condition and register it at this stage! Brainstorming has brought up repainting it in Candy White, 14/15" BBS wheels (early BMW items look the business and we've got some 185/70/R14 tyres here in need of 4x100 rims) and perhaps a heart transplant (but I'm not so sure about the swap from carb to EFI).

Preen59
23-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Couple of interesting points - brake lines inside not outside (early model thing?) & front seats have optional headrest (rare-ish so I've read?). You've certainly gotten me even more inspired now!

Plans are to restore it to close to original condition and register it at this stage! Brainstorming has brought up repainting it in Candy White, 14/15" BBS wheels (early BMW items look the business and we've got some 185/70/R14 tyres here in need of 4x100 rims) and perhaps a heart transplant (but I'm not so sure about the swap from carb to EFI).

Yeah only the later models had the external brake lines. Probably because the brake line grommets in the firewall leaked and that's why they all rust on the front floor i'd say.

Candy white is the colour i got mine painted.. :) Colour code is B4B4. Lovely looking colour.

AND i've got 15x7 BMW E30 M3 BBS wheels on my car too. (My car is the Mk1 16v Project if you're wondering).

Looks like you're going with a real winning combination here. Good luck and keep the pics coming.

23-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Yea one of projects when the dash is out is to try and seal all the known leaking spots.

Candy White is also the same colour as Justin's Polo :D

This is the style that I'm thinking of:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/3472_1JPG-1.jpg

Unfortunately these are 5x120 I think, so no go.

I'll check out your project for sure :)

Jarred
23-03-2008, 03:50 PM
tHE MK 1 ME AND JOSH JUST RIPPED APART HAD THE SAME ISSUE WITH RUST IN THE PASSENGER FLOOR, DUE (sorry caps) to no doubt the internal brake line.

I do happen to know on early, I mean really early, (74) the golf's didn't have head rests, were swallowtails, haddrum brakes on the front even! I actually think that Tim's (golfworx) 76 is a swallow, an that's a 4 door. Mine a 76 (complianced 9/76 from memory) but not tail for me :( . ANywho. I think really, Swallowtail is just rare here in general, because the 76 was the last to have the tail, and the golf's came out here in 76, whereas 74/75 models in euro are, well not common, but there would have been more sold new in europe, than oZ i'd say.

The plans sound good. the wheels you're looking for came off the e30 BMW 3 series, theres a neat seat on ebay atm, for about $450 and tehy come up everynow and then. BMW/euro wreckers might also have some instock.

23-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Certainly a common issue with any of the MK1's by the sound of it.

Either way it's a cool discovery, so thanks :P

Those wheels cost more than we paid for the car lol! Everything has been put way out of proportion, in terms of price, after we bought this. I'll keep my eye out, because we need to sort the tyre situation out at some point before rego and like I said we've already got a set of almost new 14" tyres off Justins Polo (he put BBS on too lol!), just need the rims.

Celestine
24-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks must go out to Donny for helping us angle grind our floorpan! He did a wonderful job and he was more than avid to help us out in all aspects.

Unfortunately due to the Easter break, our progress has been slow. We have a template that's currently being tested to ensure we have a perfect fit when we actually start chopping away at the sheet metal.

Jarred: thank you for having pointed out that our MkI is actually a swallowtail. Its surprising that it's kept in my garage, and I've been looking at it so much in the last couple of weeks, I honestly havent even realised that it was one (not to mention I too was under the preconcieved notion that a swallowtail only existed in a 3 door form). That comment has just boosted Jon and my moral to ensure this car gets what it truly deserves.

Yesterday, I spent most of the day cleaning out the remaining interior surface rust and removal of glue residue and other general grit. The interior is ready to be rust converted and primed (with the exception of our missing 'Flintstones' footwell). Jon and I honestly hope that at the current progression, we can have this car restored to it's former glory in hopefully under a year's time. However, we wont rush things as I'm also obsessive, compulsive, when it comes to cars, so I dont want the same problems appearing again. *Photos will go up once the interior is rust converted and primed.

Stay tuned... ;)

Preen59
24-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Candy White is also the same colour as Justin's Polo :D

Yeah its the mk4/mk5 white thats on all of them. (except the commercials- you can get them in off road white, which looks crappy) :)

Typ53
24-03-2008, 06:24 AM
G' day!

I'm a new member here, and my home country is Germany. So first I apologize for my bad English:( I'm very glad to see that also in OZ exist many people who have a thing about old Volkswagen.

It seems that you have still a lot of work with the rust from the MK1, but I think it's worth it, even in my country many cars in that conditions are often will be restored. Anyway I wish you good luck with the restoration and never give up;)

greetings
Mario

Jarred
24-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Yea, that's the spirit boys. It's good to have a friend to do something like this with, helps when you hit the boring and hard parts! so make sure you have some fun along the way too! :)

Welcome to VWW Mario! There defiantly is a few of us that love the old Volkswagens, that's for sure! and like most germans, your english is fine! :)

Oneofthegreats
24-03-2008, 11:17 AM
and, I'm surprised to see the rust in the A pillars, from what I know, not many 76's rust in the A pillars, but all (well most) or that later ones do, or are at least more prone to rusting there!

Nice to see anther mk1 being brought back to life. It's just that some mk1's take a bit more work than some of the other's.

All mk1's unfortunately rust here. Doesn't matter what year it is.

The 76er's are IMHO the worst for rust due to the lack of seam sealing from the VW Aust department. But saying that, here in VIC, there the best to do engine conversion's with eg. 20VT, ABF's etc. as they don't have to comply with pollution requirement's.

Your right to Jarred. Mine is a 4/76 5dr LS.

The more & more I work on my 76er, the more & more I find is different to the German built mk1's & also the last of the mk1's.
Even the floor pan's are different!

Keep up the good work fella's. Look forward to seeing more progress.

Peter Jones
24-03-2008, 11:39 AM
But saying that, here in VIC, there the best to do engine conversion's with eg. 20VT, ABF's etc. as they don't have to comply with pollution requirement's.

My two '79s were both GLDs originally, so they have no pollution control at all!

I'm not sure of the legalities of that though! There's no carbon canisters or anything else ever been fitted to these cars. I suppose whoever put the first petrol motor in there should have fitted all the pollution kit but it's never been picked up because it all looks factory.

Pete

Oneofthegreats
24-03-2008, 11:53 AM
My two '79s were both GLDs originally, so they have no pollution control at all!

I'm not sure of the legalities of that though! There's no carbon canisters or anything else ever been fitted to these cars. I suppose whoever put the first petrol motor in there should have fitted all the pollution kit but it's never been picked up because it all looks factory.

Pete

I forgot to add, that's if you want to fit an aftermarket ECU like Microtech, MoTec, Autronic's etc without a cat. convertor too. You could fit say a 20VT out of a 98 Passat into a 80 GLS, but you'd also have to fit every bit of factory engine managment, pollution gear etc. that the Passat came out with.
Then it would also have to have a very expensive pollution test too! This isn't only just for the exhaust, it's everything from fuel vapour's, carbon canistor's etc.

My info comes from a very well respected engineer. I was speaking to him about engine conversion's & he said as long as it's badged a 76 you could fit one of those engine's with an aftermarket ECU.

Hope this clear's it up alittle.

Jarred
24-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Hope this clear's it up alittle.

It does for me. I've been wondering what the difference in the laws was, but I've never been sure. Thanks Tim.

24-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Quick pic of the 'workshop'

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050218Small-2.jpg

Todays progress:

Cleaned, degreased, rust converted, etch primed & filled rear hatch area, backseat and rear footwells.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050225Small-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050239Small-2.jpg
One of the madmen! Justin's pretty good with a spray can so I let him do that job, and I've landed the job of restoring/making new door trims :D

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050232Small-2.jpg
Getting artistic...(after primer filler applied, hence the yellow finish :P). Plans for these areas will be a matt black finish, with the carpet stopping in the rear footwells. Thinking of crafting up a rear strut tower brace when we get there :D

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050237Small-2.jpg
Found whats broken in the indicator stalk - any ideas? Repairable or chase up a replacement unit?

Cheers folks!

Jarred
24-03-2008, 08:24 PM
wow! you have a garage! lucky! and I cant believe you didn't get in on the spraying action! I love spraying stuff on my car, unfortunately, it's all been resprayed, well most of it has, so I've still got some room to play!!

Indicator stalk shouldn't be too had to get second hand. I geuss you could always super glue the broken piece back on and test if it would work first..?

Water Boy
24-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Lookin' good mate... This is what having a Mk1 is all about :D

24-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Jarred: Yea, we've got a lengthways 2 car garage to use. He does a much neater job with the painting than I do; I'm much more at home with the electrics!

Celestine
24-03-2008, 10:59 PM
I havent taken the photos yet, but after you left Jon, I spent a bit more time spraying (I'm not high off the paint fumes yet j: as I've been wearing a mask - however, I need another filter as the one for my decent one is shot). Both the rear passenger footwells have been etch primered and also coated with the primer filler. I'll post up photos tomorrow morning as it's a bit too dark to get a reasonable photo at 11 at night.

All I need is to create a small isolated booth in the back of my garage/our workshop, for spraying. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? If so, suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jarred
25-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? If so, suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Well, what do you need to know? I painted my car in mum and dad's garage last January!
So talking about a doing full respray or just something to cover up the other half of the garage when you are rattle can-ing?

Celestine
25-03-2008, 11:46 PM
I'd be talking about a full respray and of course, NOT with a rattle can. I'd be there after 20 cans still trying to get things right. I'm getting a compressor and I've already got a spray gun I'd like to use in mind already. However, just need to be able to make a 'clean' environment to spray in...

Mischa
26-03-2008, 12:00 AM
I'd be talking about a full respray and of course, NOT with a rattle can. I'd be there after 20 cans still trying to get things right. I'm getting a compressor and I've already got a spray gun I'd like to use in mind already. However, just need to be able to make a 'clean' environment to spray in...

big plastic sheet and tonnes of tape :D

Typ53
26-03-2008, 08:06 AM
I never drove a MK1 with RHD, but I heard that the braking effect is very badly. This based on the bell cranks or similar, which put the braking-pedal to the right side. Exist there any solution for make this better or what do you plan?

Jarred
26-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Basically. msichas right, a big drop sheet and some tape will give you a "clean" environment.

The only issue is air flow. When I painted mine in the garage, there was little, to no airflow while we were painting. and as was evident when we opened the roller door, a bucket load of fumes and paint dust flew out! So if you do want to paint in the garage, be prepared to do alot of sanding back, as you will find that when you're painting the back of the car, the paint dust will fly across the car, and stick ontop of the front of the car, which gives it a rough finish, and means you need to do a bit of sanding back.

Um, so yea, it defiantly is do-able, and providing you do enough layers of paint (i'd go 3 at least for me next spray job, 4's even better, bascially, do 1 layer going over all the corners first, then a full layer) rubbing it back will bring it up good. um, yea, I'm sure I've forgotten a few things, but if you even have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

oh and go for a 2.5 HP compressor at least.

Preen59
26-03-2008, 05:36 PM
oh and go for a 2.5 HP compressor at least.

Its not the HP you need to worry about, what you want is a high CFM (cubic feet per minute) compressor. So look at the CFM more than the HP if you're looking to buy one. :)

26-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Any idea what CFM we should look at?

I work at Super Cheap Auto head office, so I'll get all the inside goss lol!

Preen59
26-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Any idea what CFM we should look at?

I work at Super Cheap Auto head office, so I'll get all the inside goss lol!

A mate from work just painted his sons car (he's up on all this paint and panel stuff, and not a hacker). And he was telling me what size his is, so i'll find out tomorrow and let you know, if someone doesn't before me. But basically, the bigger the better really. You just need a compressor that can supply more volume than what the spray gun will output.

26-03-2008, 06:07 PM
No prob.

Any idea where the VIN number would be, or do they even have one (slightly stupid question)?

Jarred
26-03-2008, 06:09 PM
yea. I think a 2hp will make at about 90 cfm, and you need up about 120/130 I think. but don't quote me. All I know is that I used at 2.5, and it worked.. :?

Preen59
26-03-2008, 06:10 PM
No prob.

Any idea where the VIN number would be, or do they even have one (slightly stupid question)?

Your car you mean? Right hand front strut tower i think...

Jarred
26-03-2008, 06:11 PM
No prob.

should be on the compliance plate... shoould be next to the bonnet catch on the rad support thingy, which is right infront when you lift up the bonnet, make sense?

26-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Yea on the MK1.

Justin's looking but can't find it!

EDIT: Found something so hopefully that's it!

Celestine
26-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I think we've found it - as I've basically given everything to Jon over the phone of what was written on the compliance plate. Nothing to be found on the strut towers (as the Haynes manual said it's on the RHS tower).

I'll probably have to get a decent size drop down sheet along with a this gazebo Jon and I purchased ages ago. Or even better still, I have been told that there is a place up here in Brisbane which has a proper spray booth and heating unit that you can rent for a day at a certain rate (which I'm still looking into).

I was looking at a reserve tank of about 40L's and I'd definately be using at least a 2HP compressor. After having a more careful look and online comparison, I might have a slight change of heart in choosing which spray gun I want to purchase for this job (or just pay someone else to do it).

static1800
27-03-2008, 07:27 AM
The main thing with spraying is the compressor needs a quick refresh rate, so it can keep up with the constant spray.

Jarred
27-03-2008, 02:42 PM
generally a 2HP wont be enough unelss it has a unusualy high cfm rate. most 2.5 Hp's and above will have adequate cfm rates, but doing you research is vital!

If i had my time over painting my car, I would primer it at home, but spray the top coat in a booth, defiantly worth it i'd say, even if it was a bit costly..:)

Preen59
27-03-2008, 04:39 PM
8 or 10 CFM is more than enough on the compressor apparently. Hope that helps. Good luck. :)

30-03-2008, 06:25 PM
So the analysis from today is that the A pillars are way to far gone. Imagine them as a 4 sided box - 3 of the 4 sides are rusted out and soft and the 4th we don't know 'cause that's where the window is. We reckon it's too far gone so verdict at this stage is scrap :(

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050255Small-2.jpg

Preen59
30-03-2008, 07:33 PM
So the analysis from today is that the A pillars are way to far gone. Imagine them as a 4 sided box - 3 of the 4 sides are rusted out and soft and the 4th we don't know 'cause that's where the window is. We reckon it's too far gone so verdict at this stage is scrap :(

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/P1050255Small-2.jpg

That can be repaired. If you can find a good old school panel beater or a good hot rod builder. It'll cost you though.. Such a pitty, there's so many mk1s with that problem. :(

Sorry to see that, it was shaping up well.

Jarred
30-03-2008, 07:47 PM
It's real easy to pop out the window, so you should have another look at this.

I wouldn't let this stop me from going on. Half the mk 1's out there, that are on the road, have rust this bad anyways!, so you're amongst fine company, thats for sure!

Preen59
30-03-2008, 08:24 PM
It's real easy to pop out the window, so you should have another look at this.

I wouldn't let this stop me from going on. Half the mk 1's out there, that are on the road, have rust this bad anyways!, so you're amongst fine company, thats for sure!

(To quote the Fonz) Correct-a-mundo.

I wouldn't be ending it at this point. No goof you find will be perfect. :)

Celestine
30-03-2008, 09:29 PM
We have decided that it would be easier to part the vehicle as parts and purchase another one that is in much better condition than this current one.

Although it can be repaired, we started this as a budget project. As Jon previously mentioned, both of us are new to dubs and our first one has been rather bumpy and quiet troublesome.

Hopefully by parting out the good parts, we can put some money towards another better condition MkI. It's a pity to see this car go but we thoroughly reckon that it would be in both it's best interest and ours. :(

Jarred
30-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Hard decision to make, but I can defiantly understand it! Be wary though, that even mk 1 will have rust! it's pretty much a garuentee, due to thier age really.

Shame to hear, maybe one of the other boys up there want's to pick it up though??? :? :D

Preen59
31-03-2008, 06:37 PM
We have decided that it would be easier to part the vehicle as parts and purchase another one that is in much better condition than this current one.

Although it can be repaired, we started this as a budget project. As Jon previously mentioned, both of us are new to dubs and our first one has been rather bumpy and quiet troublesome.

Hopefully by parting out the good parts, we can put some money towards another better condition MkI. It's a pity to see this car go but we thoroughly reckon that it would be in both it's best interest and ours. :(

If this is your first go at restoring a car you're probably right. No sense getting yourself in too deep. It's good that you have a budget.

Good luck with finding a better one. They are out there. To be quite honest, they're like buses, if you miss one, another will come along soon.

Golf Loon
31-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah you want a car that some old person has had and that is original.

There are still 2 doors out there too. ;)

That pillar is pretty bad. Might be a good decision to run at this point.
Pity you primered all the rest up.

Typ53
31-03-2008, 09:45 PM
That's a great pity, but I guess it's the best choise for you and your budget. If I were in your shoes, I would buy a MK1 after 1979/80 'cause they have a much better rust-precaution.

I wish you good luck in search of a better MK1.

greetings
Mario