PDA

View Full Version : Golf V rear swaybars

Greg Roles
22-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Given the understeer characteristics of the stock GT golf, I was wondering:

1. Is the rear GTI swaybar any beefier?
2. Where can I get a beefier rear swaybar from over here? Reluctant to just front up to Pedders and watch them scratch their heads at a VW....

I'm after more neutral handling, nothing drastic.

Dave T
22-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Try Whiteline they seem to make a full range of bars.
www.whiteline.com.au

tinto
23-03-2008, 02:59 AM
Neuspeed you can get through Rennenhaus:
http://www.rennenhaus.com.au/MK5Suspension.html

H&R also make them for the MK5 - you can get those through GC Corp (who also sell the Whiteline gear)
http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/index.php?cPath=43_117

Remember to factor in local installation $, unless you want to jump in and DIY.
The rear sways are supposed to be relatively easy, assuming you're not too hamfisted :)

xcgumby
23-03-2008, 09:25 AM
I've got a white line bar on my Astra & a Neuspeed bar on my passat.

The neuspeed is a better engineered product than the whiteline. The whiteline bar was $220 & the neuspeed around $520. The little brackets that hang down from under the shock mounts - in the neuspeed kit they're a kind of ball joint arrangement with adjustable length. In the whiteline kit they were a figure 8 with two urethane bushes. The whiteline kit in the astra doesn't mount in the rear axle either. The neuspeed brackets clip over the rear axle. I think in the case of the astra this is common to the breed. UK after market rear bars mount the same way.

Performance wise - its not apples/apples. The astra has stock everything else but the passat has coil overs. I think though that the weight distribution is better in the astra & the car is heaps shorter. This made the addition of the rear bar a lot more noticeable. This would be similar to a golf esp. if you have a lateral mounted engine (ie better weight distribution).

Greg Roles
23-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks lads, I'll do some research on those links and let you know how I go.
A swaybar fitment should be relatively easy like you say.

cheers!

Greg Roles
23-03-2008, 09:57 AM
I've got a white line bar on my Astra & a Neuspeed bar on my passat.

The neuspeed is a better engineered product than the whiteline. The whiteline bar was $220 & the neuspeed around $520. The little brackets that hang down from under the shock mounts - in the neuspeed kit they're a kind of ball joint arrangement with adjustable length. In the whiteline kit they were a figure 8 with two urethane bushes. The whiteline kit in the astra doesn't mount in the rear axle either. The neuspeed brackets clip over the rear axle. I think in the case of the astra this is common to the breed. UK after market rear bars mount the same way.

Performance wise - its not apples/apples. The astra has stock everything else but the passat has coil overs. I think though that the weight distribution is better in the astra & the car is heaps shorter. This made the addition of the rear bar a lot more noticeable. This would be similar to a golf esp. if you have a lateral mounted engine (ie better weight distribution).

Thanks a heap for your input mate. Given the big cost difference, it's nice to hear the real world view. Sounds like you are saying the cheaper set would be fine for a smaller more balanced car, such as the golf. I'm pretty impressed with the stocko handling to be honest, I'm just after a bit less understeer and a little less roll.

Greg Roles
23-03-2008, 10:46 AM
H&R seem to be a nice mid priced bar, the whiteline looks fine, but is welded whereas the H&R and Neuspeed are forged units from overseas as XC has mentioned. For the little extra the H&R is looking good. Only drama is the stock rear is 21mm, and everone only offers 22mm or 24mm options. 22mm is only 20% stiffer, but 24 is a whopping 71% ( phew ).

I'll go for an adjustable though, as 24mm may be a bit too much... especially since the stock front is only 25mm. I guess I can always upgrade the front too, but I'm not after a go-cart.

thanks again guys!

I'll give them a call next week.

mrx
23-03-2008, 04:33 PM
There are several write ups of various suspension bits and pieces, including the pros/cons of just getting the rear bar, if you look at the Australia section of the golfmkv forum.