PDA

View Full Version : Diesel cooling system

smithy010
13-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Hi all,

Sorry to bombard you with constant questions, but i'm wondering whether the diesel cooling system is the same as the petrol's.

Does anyone know whether the temp gauge has the same calibration?

Also, has anyone had bad experience with running in hot conditions, ie, is the cooling system adequate, cos if it isn't, i will consider putting a bigger radiator in.

Just reading through some of the 2005 forums, and i was surprised to see the types of people on the diesel forum. GLDGTI is a uni student in mechanical engineering (correct me if i'm wrong), and so am i (at UNSW), and a lot of you are country folk or from farms, which i am too. Quite amazing how these forums bring similar people together!

Cheers all.

brackie
14-07-2006, 06:25 AM
Hi all,

Sorry to bombard you with constant questions, but i'm wondering whether the diesel cooling system is the same as the petrol's.

Not all petrols. The diesel has the expansion/degassing tank. Older petrols don't. Water pump is the same but diesels have a bigger radiator.

Does anyone know whether the temp gauge has the same calibration?
No..... I've read that it doesn't. The diesel head has thicker metal around the precombustion chambers and cooling jacket. This means it absorbs heat more quickly but transfers it to the water jacket more slowly. The sender and gauge are calibrated accordingly.

Also, has anyone had bad experience with running in hot conditions, ie, is the cooling system adequate, cos if it isn't, i will consider putting a bigger radiator in.
I had diesels (one with aircon) in country WA when it was 44C in the waterbag and they never overheated. As long as everything is up to specs and the core is clean inside and outside you shouldn't have a problem.

Just reading through some of the 2005 forums, and i was surprised to see the types of people on the diesel forum. GLDGTI is a uni student in mechanical engineering (correct me if i'm wrong), and so am i (at UNSW), and a lot of you are country folk or from farms, which i am too. Quite amazing how these forums bring similar people together!

Cheers all.
Sure do! That's what forums are all about. :)

gldgti
20-07-2006, 09:38 PM
what year are you in? i'm in 3rd year.....aaaaarrrrrgggggghghhh

smithy010
21-07-2006, 01:17 AM
4th year. Thesis year.!

Designing suspension for the UNSW solar car.