PDA

View Full Version : Where are the SKODAS?

rym
19-03-2008, 09:01 PM
After SO MANY months of Skoda having been launch in Oz, I still have NOT SEEN one on the road!

I don't know what the story is but I do about 3 hours of driving on the road everyday and I have not seen a single Skoda on the road? Be it a Octavia or the roomster.

When I was in Spain some months ago, they were everywhere. Every second Taxi was a Skoda Octavia. Ok, I exaggerated, it was every third Taxi but you get the idea.

I think Skoda Oz can and should pay us to do some extra journeys everyday to give them more exposure.

Are they shifting enough volume? Hmmm... I hope this changes soon.

h100vw
19-03-2008, 09:18 PM
I saw one yesterday near Adelaide Airport, a red wagon. Not seen any others that I can remember, other than on the forecourt of the dealers.

In contrast on the way home after work I saw 3 R32s, 2 mk4s and a MK5. Very common compared to the Corrado that I was in at the time.

Gavin

anthony
19-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Since launch I have been looking out on the roads of Melbourne every day.
Saw an Octavia Wagon with NSW plates.Am sure it was a Skoda press car.
A few days ago I saw a Black-ish Roomster,with a Bayford Skoda sticker on the rear window.
It had the latest W local plates on it.
But that is it.
Plenty of new VW s...all models.
I dont think Skoda was a threat to VW sales.
Before launch it worried me a little bit.
Who is buying them,where are they,and who are they taking sales away from...

anthony
19-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Oh,the Octavia was a White one.

h100vw
19-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Oh, completely forgot, there were loads of wagons supporting the tour down under last month. Must have been 20 I reckon, all in a row.
Gavin

Frufru
19-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Saw couple of Skodas here in Perth. One red one back in November (!!!) in Fremantle and another Octavia, this time wagon around western suburbs. Really , you should not be expecting seeing them really. Two reasons: delivery times (I ams still waiting for mine, three weeks down the track, so there may not be more than 100 Octavias on the road) and probability you gonna see one. How many cars are on the road - 3-4 millions? That make about one in 30000 cars. How many cars you gona see?

Talking about VW sales. I got told by a friend of mine that diesel golfs are sold out here and delivery times are blowing up to two months or more :cry:.

GDG
19-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Besides the two Octavia 1.9TDIs parked in my driveway and excluding dealer demos, I have crossed paths with just 1 Roomster. There must be others out there but I am yet to see them.

Update: Last Wednesday spotted a Blue Octavia RS Wagon traveling southbound (opposite direction to me) on Albert Street in Preston, Vic. Today was behind a silver petrol Roomster heading north on Hoddle Street in Clifton Hill, Vic.

gregozedobe
19-03-2008, 10:24 PM
I've only noticed one Skoda "in the wild" around Canberra so far, and that was a bit of a cheat because I asked the owner to bring it over to my place so I could see what a Race Blue Octavia RS wagon looked like in the metal (quite nice, actually).

Of course the Octavia tends to blend into traffic a bit, and so far the Roomster hasn't been selling in big numbers. I'm doing my bit to help Skodas stand out a bit more by ordering a yellow Octavia (but I noticed 3 new bright yellow cars in my gym carpark this morning, so maybe yellow is becoming popular again :) )

I hope Skoda sales numbers do pick up, otherwise resale values will tank dramatically, leading to a downward sales spiral (think what happened with SEAT in Australia not so long ago). I think VWA probably set their Skoda price points a bit high here (compared with the price differentials in Europe), probably to prevent Skoda from cannibalising VW sales.

evorobin
19-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Besides the two Octavia 1.9TDIs parked in my driveway

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=8754

Is there a pulse doctor? f*** me what do you drive that's fun?

DanSA
20-03-2008, 06:23 AM
I kind of like being the only Octavia wagon vRS in SA :cool:

From what my dealer told me there have been quite a few sold here in SA, mostly diesls and 1.8TFS'i so far.

As far as what I have seen.. only one other so far, and thta was one of the Tour press cars.

gregozedobe
20-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Is there a pulse doctor? f*** me what do you drive that's fun?

Thinks to himself (Must not feed the troll any oxygen, Must not feed the troll any oxygen,Must not feed the troll............) ;)

XXX-1.8T
20-03-2008, 11:27 AM
The problem is that Skoda dealers try and position them like they are VW's.

I tried to buy a RS and and they negotiated very little even on 07 plated cars.

Hence why no one is buying them as they are asking too much for them and the major x factor with them is depreciation.

Sure they are good cars but i think their pricing is out of whack.

I ended up buying a fully option 2006 Jetta (with body kit) for a bargain at an auction but these are selling second hand for $35K to $40K.

To buy a fully loaded RS came to $50K which is too risky and too exxy for what it is.

Im really happy with the Jetta as it not only goes as good as an RS but looks better too.

good luck to the Skoda owners i hope depreciation works as well as the VW's(what the dealers were telling me)

Plicata
20-03-2008, 12:03 PM
I kind of like being the only Octavia wagon vRS in SA

"The only Skoda in the village"? j:
We really wanted a diesel wagon but decided the price was too high (with the spec we wanted) for the risk involved and distance to a dealer. I really thought Skoda would launch with good deals. Free on-roads or discounted extras package as a minimum, but it didn't happen. Bought something else in the interim and hope they are around in a year or two to get one then. Yes, I know I'm part of the problem if they do fail, but it's not my fault they screwed up the pricing.

XXX-1.8T
20-03-2008, 12:54 PM
We really wanted a diesel wagon but decided the price was too high (with the spec we wanted) for the risk involved and distance to a dealer. I really thought Skoda would launch with good deals. Free on-roads or discounted extras package as a minimum, but it didn't happen. Bought something else in the interim and hope they are around in a year or two to get one then. Yes, I know I'm part of the problem if they do fail, but it's not my fault they screwed up the pricing.

Exactly :)

rodrocco
20-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I've seen a white Octavia wagon on the road in Perth and I also believe the Octavia RS press car here was bent and is currently being repaired ....(-:

mrx
20-03-2008, 05:30 PM
I recently saw a Red RS wagon in Perth, in Osborne Park actually. I fully expected it to turn into the dealership, but it didn't - so I think it was a "real" one.

anthony
20-03-2008, 08:27 PM
The OCTAVIA looks to me very much like a rebadged BORA...
Is it based on the A4 Bora,or A5 Jetta.
For a few thousand more,do as I did and buy a jETTA.
Its what you really want in any event,with best resale in class.

mrx
20-03-2008, 08:32 PM
The OCTAVIA looks to me very much like a rebadged BORA...
Is it based on the A4 Bora,or A5 Jetta.
For a few thousand more,do as I did and buy a jETTA.
Its what you really want in any event,with best resale in class.

Sure, let me know where I can buy a Jetta wagon in Australia and I'll buy one!!!

rym
20-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I sort of agree with some of the sentiments on the pricing. I think a lower price that is further differentiated from Jetta pricings would have seen a healthier launch.

I think getting the brand built up gradually is the key... but, it was launched against the background of record new car sales in Oz. "Greed is good.." so they say.

In Europe, my Octavia Elegance Wagon competes with Mazda 3 and Toyota Corollas on pricing. In fact, a 1.8 VVTI Corolla wagon is one thousand pounds more expensive than the Octavia Wagon.

So, we are rare as hen's teeth.

It would take a long time to convert the Holden and Ford fans, which happens to be the greatest market base here. We love our BIG cars here in Oz. Just look at the crowd around Holden and Ford stands at Motor shows.

Well, I hope to see a fellow Octavian on the road soon.

Frufru
20-03-2008, 11:09 PM
There were free Skoda on-roads here in WA in February (that made me to buy them).

rym
21-03-2008, 06:35 AM
The free on roads were for the 07 plate run out. The other thing that jabs you in the eye from this "junior value for money brand from VW" is the pricing for accessories and extras...

Well, I hope there's enough of people out there that recognise the fundamental quality of this car. Go easy with your options and it will be a reasonable $.

It's a quality product with a great drive train and if we Aussies can ditch the American dream and get over the bigger is better mentality... you will soon see more such appropriate sized family cars on the road.

CO2
21-03-2008, 12:05 PM
The problem is that Skoda dealers try and position them like they are VW's.

I tried to buy a RS and and they negotiated very little even on 07 plated cars.

Hence why no one is buying them as they are asking too much for them and the major x factor with them is depreciation.

Sure they are good cars but i think their pricing is out of whack.

I ended up buying a fully option 2006 Jetta (with body kit) for a bargain at an auction but these are selling second hand for $35K to $40K.

To buy a fully loaded RS came to $50K which is too risky and too exxy for what it is.

Im really happy with the Jetta as it not only goes as good as an RS but looks better too.

good luck to the Skoda owners i hope depreciation works as well as the VW's(what the dealers were telling me)

Exactly right....! Skoda launch prices are far too expensive...!

I am in the market to buy a replacement new small / medium car this year and after reading the UK car reviews on Skoda I eagerly awaited their launch here in OZ, especially after reading the Weisner pre-launch sales blurb about them supposedly being priced to directly compete with the "cheaper japanese and asian brands". With the OZ$ near US$ parity, I'm sure I wasn't the only prospective OZ buyer to be very, very sadly disappointed, to see them in fact launched at equivalent VW model prices.

Another interesting thing I've noticed is that VW have stopped advertising their actual vehicle prices in our local newspaper adds. Go figure.....??

anthony
21-03-2008, 12:50 PM
What we need is a REASONABLY priced compact VW wagon.
I am sure it would be popular.
Europe gets the Mexican made Golf Variant,Mexico calls it the Bora wagon,and it is going to be called the Jetta Sports wagon in America and Canada.
Looks more modern than the Octavia wagon,and much sportier and upmarket.

Frufru
21-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Exactly right....! Skoda launch prices are far too expensive...!

I am in the market to buy a replacement new small / medium car this year and after reading the UK car reviews on Skoda I eagerly awaited their launch here in OZ, especially after reading the Weisner pre-launch sales blurb about them supposedly being priced to directly compete with the "cheaper japanese and asian brands". With the OZ$ near US$ parity, I'm sure I wasn't the only prospective OZ buyer to be very, very sadly disappointed, to see them in fact launched at equivalent VW model prices.

I dont think that parity of OZ$ with US$ has anything to do with it. Euro actually appreciated in comparison with OZ$ by about 10%.
Talking about Jetta being much better than Octavia... In my opinion they are very, very similar cars. I dont see any reason to see Jetta being better in 'objective' sense. Just some people may like Jetta more I guess. I looked at the pricing and really there was always at least 5 grands difference between Skoda and VW with the same engine and comparably equipped car. In my opinion this is what you pay for badge, nothing else.

Other point...Comparing price for 2006 car and 2008 car is not very smart. 2008 will always be much more costly. That may suggest that it is better to buy second hand car than new one I guess, not more than that.

On the other hand pricing for Skodas I think came from VW not wanting to have their prices undercut for Golfs and so on. Have no idea why. Golfs are selling like hotcakes and the same could be said about other models.

gregozedobe
21-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Europe gets the Mexican made Golf Variant,Mexico calls it the Bora wagon,and it is going to be called the Jetta Sports wagon in America and Canada.
Looks more modern than the Octavia wagon,and much sportier and upmarket.

Good to see different opinions being aired.

Golf, Jetta, Octavia, Passatt are all based on the Golf V platform (with minor variations in the mechanicals such as engine responsiveness, suspension tuning, wheel/tyre sizes etc) so there isn't as much difference between them as some people think.

VWA have been talking about the Golf/Jetta wagon for Australia for years, but I don't see any signs of it being imported here any time soon.

Looks are a very subjective thing (I don't mind the restrained looks of the Octavia wagon myself, but that is my personal preference), so it depends on what your priorities and preferences are. You can truthfully say "I like the look of car X over car Y", but that doesn't mean car X actually IS better looking / more modern / sportier and upmarket because there is no way of objectively measuring looks. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder (but I will admit that sometimes there is a broad consensus on cars that are truly ugly or outstandingly pretty).

However measurements aren't subjective - the Octavia wagon is WAY roomier than the Bora/Golf/Jetta wagons, in fact I think it has more useable room than the Passatt wagon (deeper load area). I think the Octavia wagon (and the hatch) has more boot volume than anything else of a similar size, including Jetta boots for those who think "theirs is the biggest" :)

As far as prices go, if you want to compare Golf, Jetta and Octavia prices you first need to take into consideration standard/optional equipment levels and costs, then also factor in the available discounts off the RRPs. AFAIK Golfs seem to be pretty easy to get discounts from dealers, but Octavias seem much harder to negotiate a really good deal on.

Plus certain models are only available as manuals (eg Octavia RS), while others are DSG only (eg Jetta 2.0TFSI ?), so this impacts on both price and desirability (I'm a rusted-on manual enthusiast, but I don't have to drive in heavy traffic :) ).

Comparing prices of secondhand vehicles with new ones is also a bit tricky, as different people place different values on intangibles such as a full new car warranty, being the only person to drive a car, knowing the full history of a car, being able to specify precisely what you want (model, colour, engine, transmission, options) run in and maintained the way you want etc. Certainly the depreciation on a new car is ferocious, and you can save a lot by buying secondhand.

All in all, you look at what is available, and at what price. If you find something you like at a price you are willing to pay then you can buy it, if not, don't. I have ordered an Octavia RS wagon because I liked it. Going on the Australia wide sales figures, so far not too many people agree with my choice.

rym
23-03-2008, 08:15 AM
People Power gives Octavia the Gong @ Auto Express.

http://www.nextcar.com.au/n.skoda.2008.driverpower.08mar.html

Obviously, the "spot the a Skoda game" isn't a very popular in UK, they already have plenty of numbers to make their vote count.

Is there such quality and ownership surveys in Oz? Yes, there is but only the car companies get the results. We don't get to see it.

mrx
23-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Maybe they are actually selling some?! My wife went for a test drive in the 1.8TFSI wagon & RS wagon yesterday (I couldn't go because I'm stuck at work all weekend). According to the sales people there are already about 30 on the road in WA, and 130 on order (4 month wait). Of course, there's no way of knowing if that's really an accurate figure or not. When my wife was there they signed two people up, and she had to wait for ages because there were so many test drives going on that they had to go and borrow a set of plates from the VW dealership down the road! (So they certainly seem to be busy.)

In terms of the sales experience, she explained that she's used to driving a GTI, so they didn't need to explain the features. So they basically just gave her both sets of keys & said come back when you've had enough. Gotta love being given free reign! Also, no pressure to buy when she came back. Total contrast to VW, where they look down their noses at you, and Subaru where you get the full on, "HI I'M TOM! AND YOU ARE?"

Golf Loon
23-03-2008, 09:36 AM
We were looking at buying a second hand Audi or Passat Wagon, 9-10 years old for $17k. According to the Skoda Ads we could have a new TDI wagon for 29k on the road. Went and tested them. I drove the 1.9TDI and would have had to have had the 2L, add some leather and on road costs and its $35-$38k.

The dealer was keen to sell me one, but I pointed out that he did not know what was gonna happen with resale values in a year. He could not move on the price and I have issues with buying a brand new car. If the resales get slammed, I`ll probably buy a year old or ex demo model down the track.

I thought the fit and finish was excellent, particularly on the top of the range ones. Nice to see that the Octavia sedan is actually a hatchback and that they are selling manual wagons. A hard thing to find in a Passat or Audi in Oz.

We ultimately bought a cheap Audi A4 manual wagon which has taken all its depreciation, although I`d trade it for a secondhand Octavia as and when.

I hope Skoda do well, but I cant help thinking how much better they would go if the price was $5-8k less per unit.

mrx
23-03-2008, 10:28 AM
We were looking at buying a second hand Audi or Passat Wagon, 9-10 years old for $17k. According to the Skoda Ads we could have a new TDI wagon for 29k on the road. Went and tested them. I drove the 1.9TDI and would have had to have had the 2L, add some leather and on road costs and its $35-$38k.

The dealer was keen to sell me one, but I pointed out that he did not know what was gonna happen with resale values in a year. He could not move on the price and I have issues with buying a brand new car. If the resales get slammed, I`ll probably buy a year old or ex demo model down the track.

I thought the fit and finish was excellent, particularly on the top of the range ones. Nice to see that the Octavia sedan is actually a hatchback and that they are selling manual wagons. A hard thing to find in a Passat or Audi in Oz.

We ultimately bought a cheap Audi A4 manual wagon which has taken all its depreciation, although I`d trade it for a secondhand Octavia as and when.

I hope Skoda do well, but I cant help thinking how much better they would go if the price was $5-8k less per unit.

Agreed. If they were offering them drive away at the RRP it would almost be too hard to pass up. At the current price level I'm left waiting to see what the new Subaru Forester XT and VW Tiguan are like (similar pricing, performance, and may still suit our space requirements) before making a decision. By the time we've made up our minds we'll know if Skoda is staying in Australia for the long haul or not, and what the resale is like! (read as, we're not rushing into this)

gregozedobe
24-03-2008, 08:22 AM
If the resales get slammed, I`ll probably buy a year old or ex demo model down the track.

I We ultimately bought a cheap Audi A4 manual wagon which has taken all its depreciation, although I`d trade it for a secondhand Octavia as and when.

I have a feeling that Skodas aren't currently being purchased by people who intend to turn them over in 12-18 months or so, unknown s'hand values being one significant reason. If I wanted to keep a car for a short time I would only consider models with very good s'hand prices.

Certainly I tend to only buy new cars that I think I will be keeping for a long time (I hate the initial slug of depreciation, so keep them for long enough to amortize it over 5-10 years).

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out over the next few years.

rym
24-03-2008, 09:12 AM
gregozedobe, I'd agree with your point about this;
"I have a feeling that Skodas aren't currently being purchased by people who intend to turn them over in 12-18 months or so..."

The impression I have is that some people are getting some sticker shock. Right or wrongly, only time will tell if the market is receptive to this new brand with this pricing.

I was initially evaluating this and found that if I don't option up with too many "creature comforts", the value in the Elegance package seems reasonable. Especially more so in the 1.8 TFSI, where accessible performance is concerned. I don't think there are too many products offering similar level of performance and quality "feel" at this pricing.

If you consider Skoda on its own without the VW Golf and Jetta fleet (which they are based), Skoda Octavias would stand pretty well, I think perhaps the sticker shock may be due to our expectation that Skodas "should be" X or Y dollars lower.

Never the less, in Europe, Skoda Octavia's direct competitors on price happens to be the Japanese Mazda 3s and Toyota Corrolas. Put this down to us being a different market. As I've just come back from Europe, this was if anything my own sticker shock to get over.

At the end, as gregozedobe said, if you think you'd happy with the product and are willing to pay, that is the yard stick.

Just as subjective as personal tastes, I like the understated look of the Octavias. It seems to say, I'm happy to be anonymous amongst the hollywood sets but judge me not on my bling factor but on my ability. Someone mentioned that the Jettas are better looking, my own thoughts is the Jettas bling factor was a little cheesy (especially the chrome bumper treatment is so bright that I need to wear shades at night). No offence to any Jetta knights... the ride was also slightly bone jarring.

Hope my Octavia wagon lands soon.

CO2
25-03-2008, 05:37 PM
As I mentioned previously, I was hanging off buying a new car for the launch of Skoda in OZ to happen. Pre-launch, Weisner said they'd be priced to "compete with the cheaper Jap & Asian brands" so I was anticipating $20-$30K drive away, not the actual, $30-$40K drive away, as it turned out. Now, I'm having a ...very, very, serious re-think, about spending anything more than $13K for a new Hyundai Getz (with 5 a year warranty & it runs on the smell of an oily rag), since I heard of the ex Iranian Oil Minister's (Dr Ali Samsam Bakhtiari) flying visit to OZ in late 2006, when he (quietly) told little "Honest Johnny" & Co, down in Canberra, that it was ..."quite possible, that we would be paying $6.00 per Litre, at the pumps, for ULP, here in OZ, by ...2010"...!! So far, the strong $OZ has shielded us from the full impact of the $110 US per barrel (and rising) price of crude, but if the bum falls out of the OZ economy, thanks to the US Subprime mortgage meltdown flowing on to the wider world economy, & The $OZ heads back towards 50 cents US (or worse) then we are gonna be ...SCREWED, big time...! by the Arabs & the Oil companies. Have a think about how, that little scenario, would impact upon your ...lifestyle...?? If that does come about, car companies won't even be able to give away ...for free, anything, that even remotely, resembles a gas-guzzler. Even without the worst-case scenario happening, vastly improving their fuel economy is going to be the ...absolute driving force, behind all car manufacturers, in the next 5-10 years, so what's your new $40K++ car purchased today, with its current fuel economy, going to be worth re-sale wise, in even 5 years from now...??? If you want some more scary thoughts, have a look at www.endofsuburbia.com

XXX-1.8T
25-03-2008, 06:34 PM
wow thats scary not!!!!

In the UK they pay $6.00 a litre it just means the cost of living in Oz will go up along with wages :)

Everything will be ok ;)

Frufru
25-03-2008, 09:31 PM
wow thats scary not!!!!

In the UK they pay $6.00 a litre it just means the cost of living in Oz will go up along with wages :)

Everything will be ok ;)
I dont think that everything will be OK. Just imagine a guy with Mazda Bravo ute, 14 l per 100 km. He would spend 14 grands a year on fuel if thats the case. You cant compare UK and here. Do you really mean that distances and public transport are comparable?????

It would (and I think it will) hit us pretty hard make no mistake about it. I reckon that the price will go to about $3-4 because after that there are some changes people will make and this hopefully will buy us time to come up with alternatives.

I believe that resale values of new cars should be OK as long as fuel consumption is not north of 10 l. This is the reason why I bought diesel.:idea: and start to think about making biodiesel.

I think it is coming and I dont believe its gonna take longer than 5 years. Did you guys here that US Air Force is building a plant to convert coal to kerosene. Not talking about US actually increasing their strategic reserves right now.

gregozedobe
25-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Now, I'm having a ...very, very, serious re-think, about spending anything more than $13K for a new Hyundai Getz (with 5 a year warranty & it runs on the smell of an oily rag),

If I was looking at small, economical cars I would investigate a Honda Jazz, I know lots of people who own them and they rave about how good (and roomy) they are.

There are a lot of factors that go into saving money on fuel, not just the particular car/engine you drive. Driving style makes a difference, as does getting more efficient in planning trips, so you do multiple things in the one drive rather than taking a separate drive for each thing. Doing short journeys on foot or bicycle can also save car trips. I see it as more how much you spend on fuel in total that counts (and whether you can afford it or not), not the actual cost per Km.

The weirdest thing I have ever heard is people who go an a specific drive to brag about how good fuel economy they can get from their car (eg driving on lonely roads at only 80Kmh to get maximum fuel economy). If you are just driving to find out what your fuel consumption is, then it doesn't matter how low your fuel consumption is, it was just 100% wasted fuel and I think it is hypocritical to the take a holier-than-thou attitude to others who drive something thirstier (JMHO, feel free to differ).

That's why fuel economy competitions seem totally pointless to me, it seems all about who can waste fuel at the slowest possible rate, but everyone is still just wasting fuel. I don't see this as being in any way superior to such non-PC driving activities as going for an enjoyable brisk drive on an interesting windy road, going for a long driving holiday, or even (shock horror) track work or even official racing.

A lot of new car buyers in Australia seem to gravitate towards smaller, more economical cars when prices first rise, but then we all get used to the higher prices and the majority start buying biggger, heavier cars again.

Look at how big and heavy Holdens and Falcons have grown over the years, and they aren't the only ones. Nearly every new model is bigger and heavier than the model they replace, and after 3 or 4 model changes these increases really add up. Look at how small the original Camry was (smaller and lighter than the current Corolla), and the story is the same for the Accord, the Golf and many others. More efficient engines help, but if cars got smaller and lighter instead, they would get much better economy than they currently do (and yes, I ldo ike a lot of the comfort and safety gear that is crammed into modern cars making them nicer, safer but heavier than their predecessors)

Unless you hang onto your car for a long time or drive big miles, depreciation/finance and rego + insurance will cost you as much or more than fuel. Lots of people seem to have fuel cards from their employment or lease, so they don't feel the impact of increased fuel costs like those of us who pay directly out of their own pocket.

Still, at least here in Australia we have a choice at the moment , in the US there is a push (again) to have mandatory decreases in average fuel economy. This is great for a maker of many small, economical cars (eg Suzuki), but a distinct problem for a maker of big, heavy luxury cars (eg Mercedes).

evorobin
25-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Drive a manual getz using the h/brake and tell me it does not rock!

gregozedobe
26-03-2008, 06:25 AM

Are you seriously suggesting that having fun doing handbrake turns on public roads should be the main basis for choosing which economical car to buy :o ?

That's just wrong in so many different ways I don't know how to respond ;)

Frufru
26-03-2008, 08:27 AM

You guys must have been sniffing something.:?

mrx
26-03-2008, 09:57 AM

Don't have to. I've sat in a manual Getz, and it does not rock!

Golf Loon
26-03-2008, 04:44 PM
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

This has been updated recently and will make you think about an economical car.

rym
03-04-2008, 03:31 AM
Geez... this thread has taken a BIG detour from "where are the Skodas" to "Life After Oil Crash". Posts about the car doomsday scenarios would be better posted on the petrol guzzling V8 forums to get them thinking about efficiency.

Posting such on a forum where the cars are already the leading bunch when it comes to Engine Efficiency and kerb weight footprint that is on the low side... is like preaching to the converted.

Tax the SUVs and V8s like the Tobacco tax I'd say... ;)

Now, where were we? Getting my Skoda this week!:cool:

I will sure feel like "The only Skoda in the village" when I do get it! Still have not seen a single Skoda anywhere in the wild. Dealer show room and parking lot doesn't count.

I think VGA ought to be a lot more ambitious and sell more cars... a volume target of 2k to 3k annually seems like just... testing water, which could make potential buyers nervous about making the commitment. You could argue that it's a big commitment just to bring it here but VGA ought to put on the buyer's shoe and look at it from this perspective. Obviously, a different target with the relevant pricing for such target may have done wonders and you start hearing the noun "hot cakes" in the same sentence with Skoda.

rym
28-04-2008, 06:24 PM
I thought I should update this thread...

Having not seen a Skoda in the wild for the best part of 7~8 months now since Skoda was launched here.

On the weekend, I saw two in the same day! A black vRS sedhatch and a blue TDi wagon.

Been driving the folks around lately, I think the old man is keen on one of these.

mrx
29-04-2008, 02:10 PM
I've seen a few more lately too. Keep seeing a silver diesel wagon on Beaufort St., anyone from here?

anthony
29-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Since launch I have been looking ,and have now seen a total of 5 Skodas in and around Melbourne.
An Octavia wagon,white with NSW plates.
A Octavia sedan Red
An Octavia sedan Silver
A Roomster Grey
A Roomster silver.
All the Skoda fans must be very disapointed with no presence on the roads at all,in complete contrast to the current VW range.

gregozedobe
29-04-2008, 10:54 PM
All the Skoda fans must be very disapointed with no presence on the roads at all,in complete contrast to the current VW range.

Ahh, feeling bored so you are back again to do some more Skoda enthusiast baiting, ehh Ant ? ;)

I wonder how many VWs there were on the road in Australia 6 months after the beetle was first released ? Some people wouldn't buy anything made by the germans back then, as it wasn't so long since WW2.

Maybe Melburnians aren't so discerning in their vehicle choices, so aren't buying Skodas yet ? Or maybe your very own private campaign is getting results in Melbourne at least. j:

So tell me, when is the Golf/Jetta wagon finally going to be available in Oz ? How much more will it cost (than an Octy RS) when fitted with the 2.0 TFSI motor and manual gearbox ? And how much less does it hold than an Octavia wagon ?

XXX-1.8T
30-04-2008, 10:44 PM
I wonder how many VWs there were on the road in Australia 6 months after the beetle was first released ? Some people wouldn't buy anything made by the germans back then, as it wasn't so long since WW2.

Just FYI here are some import & production numbers:

Regent Motors Melbourne imported their first Beetle 11/10/1953, by years end they had imported 31 vehicles.

In June 1954 CKD packs arrived & were assembled at Martin & King under contract to Regent Motors. In the first year 1385 vehicles were produced with a further 360 sedans & 300 type 2's were imported giving VW 1.2% of the sedan market & 0.5% of the commercial market in Australia.

Even back when a family having a car was a luxury vs today of families owning 2 cars VW sales figures are kicking Skoda's.

The point is the Skoda's are over priced for a new brand in a very competitive auto industry.

Im glad i bought my Jetta 2.0T over a Skoda RS. If i have some more kids and need more room ill buy a RS Wagon as i dont think resale will be any good. I reckon in 2 years you'd be able to buy a RS for $25K to $28K which will be a bargain.

Lets hope Skoda dealers sharpen their pencils as its better to see Skoda's on the road than on a yard.

gregozedobe
01-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Lets hope Skoda dealers sharpen their pencils as its better to see Skoda's on the road than on a yard.

I agree with much of what you say. I think the decision needs to be made at the importer (Skoda Australia), the dealers won't have that much room to move on price. I think the idea was to sell them as (yet another) premium priced euro brand, but there simply isn't enough awareness in the mind of joe public. In europe they are well known AND positioned significantly below VW price-wise, but here in Oz they are much closer to VW's prices, despite being hardly known at all.

If resale value was important to me I don't think I would buy a new Skoda at the moment. Happily I keep my vehicles for a long time, so resale values don't matter. If you are like me and looking for a roomy wagon with a bit of get up and go, reasonable fuel economy at a reasonable price point and fun to drive, then there isn't much around to compete with an Octy RS wagon. That's why I've got one on order (it has just left South Africa according to the ship tracking site).

Being realistic, if Skoda sales continue at the current levels the brand simply won't succeed - look at SEAT for a recent example of what could happen.

Guy_H
01-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Our new one just arrived, and I think the pricing is spot on, and the product is excellent value for the price.

VRS Vs Jetta is a bit of a tough comparison, the VRS is more the GTI with more space, the Jetta is very non sporting compared to these two.

Time will tell, we see a new one or two at our place every week, so as far as we are concerned - they are selling well!

http://www.ozaudi.com/projectSKODA/May%2008%20025%20800x599.JPG

http://www.ozaudi.com/projectSKODA/May%2008%20023%20800x599.JPG

http://www.ozaudi.com/projectSKODA/May%2008%20022%20800x599.JPG

zz2
01-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Our new one just arrived, and I think the pricing is spot on, and the product is excellent value for the price.

VRS Vs Jetta is a bit of a tough comparison, the VRS is more the GTI with more space, the Jetta is very non sporting compared to these two.

Time will tell, we see a new one or two at our place every week, so as far as we are concerned - they are selling well!

so is that yours Guy? looks great in white!
if it is yours i think you should make those massive OCTAVIA letters 'fall off' from the boot.... MrX's ones also mysteriously fell off too j:

Guy_H
01-05-2008, 06:15 PM
so is that yours Guy? looks great in white!
if it is yours i think you should make those massive OCTAVIA letters 'fall off' from the boot.... MrX's ones also mysteriously fell off too j:

lol, hey Mark, then I might get mistaken for an AU falcon???? :D

There will be an APR tuned one on shortly.

White is the new black they tell me (wife chose white this time, it will sign write up well though!)

zz2
01-05-2008, 07:58 PM
its too fast and goes around corners too well to be a falcon

mrx
02-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Im glad i bought my Jetta 2.0T over a Skoda RS. If i have some more kids and need more room ill buy a RS Wagon as i dont think resale will be any good. I reckon in 2 years you'd be able to buy a RS for $25K to $28K which will be a bargain.

Purchasing any car from brand new is an exercise in throwing money down the toilet. I had reservations about the potential resale value, but the car met my needs in every other respect, and I intend to keep it for several years, so if it's not worth much at the end of the day it's just too bad.

If I was in the market for a sedan I probably would have picked the Jetta too (despite my preference for a manual - especially when there are no steering wheel paddles). The RS wagon fills a gap in the VW lineup. Manual transmission, performance and space. A Passat would have been my first choice, but it just doesn't have the same boot space (headroom for my dogs was the major concern) and once again only comes in auto or DSG.

With regard to pricing I found that the dealers in Perth were not willing to budge at all on price when I bought the Golf GTI about a year ago (like only $700 off RRP). They had a real we don't even have to try with these cars, take it or leave it attitude - and there are only 2 dealers to choose from. By contrast the Skoda was offered at a $3500 discount without having to go through too much BS, so effectively the price IS a bit lower to begin with.

mrx
02-05-2008, 01:40 PM
MrX's ones also mysteriously fell off too j:

Dodgy Czech build quality! j:

MJKooLio
06-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Dodgy Czech build quality! j:

hahahaha :D :D

Plicata
10-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I've finally seen my first Skoda on the road. Of all places, it was at Lake Dove car park at Cradle Mountain in Tas. A silver Octavia with what looked like a huge antenna stuck on the rear bumper. Haven't seen any around Wollongong but now we have a dealer locally, they should start appearing.

gregozedobe
06-06-2008, 08:21 PM
At last I've seen my first Skoda "in the wild". Funnily enough it was an RS wagon and I was only minutes away from my dealer to pick up my own brand spanking new RS wagon :)

I'll be putting mine on the mandatory minor weight loss program shortly (removing the "Octavia" and "vRS" badges from the rear).

rym
06-06-2008, 10:15 PM
gregozedobe,
Congrats, it was a long wait, should be worth it. Enjoy!

mrx
07-06-2008, 10:04 AM
I'll be putting mine on the mandatory minor weight loss program shortly (removing the "Octavia" and "vRS" badges from the rear).

Wow, an extreme makeover! I've never seen one without both badges before. Enjoy your weekend with the new toy, and be sure to show us what it looks like! :cool:

Alfy
17-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I've seen a red Octavia RS in Penrith being driven around

NicZA
01-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Saw a blue roomster heading out of Bakershill towards Perth. Skoda wave :)

MJKooLio
01-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Spotted Canning Hwy/Mill Point Rd two nights ago Skoda Octavia (Silver) at night.... I have good eyes!! :p

NicZA
03-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Spotted Canning Hwy/Mill Point Rd two nights ago Skoda Octavia (Silver) at night.... I have good eyes!! :p

I'm familiar with that one, was sitting in the left seat :biggrin:

MJKooLio
03-07-2008, 06:01 PM
no wayyyy!!!

NicZA
05-07-2008, 09:42 PM
yup :)
Passed and was passed by a anthracite grey wagon this afternoon on the Mitchell freeway, bloody skodas are everywhere :)

MJKooLio
06-07-2008, 03:00 AM
baha! everywhere i tell ya!