PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Head Units

MKIVF
18-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Looking for a new head unit for my mark ivf.

Thinking that I will go for a single din, buy a pocket from the previous model polo (which appears to share the same dash as the MKIVF).

Only thing putting me off is the fact that I will be left with a gap. I don't care how big a gap it is, the very thought that there is a gap there would piss me off. Yes, I'm picky j:

Anyone have a single din installation that hasn't left a gap, or has left a gap, albeit a reasonable one (given that they are aftermarket headunits).

jasn78
18-03-2008, 10:59 PM
yeah mine has no gap i think they used mazda 3 pocket

MKIVF
18-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Which head unit have you got champ?

Celestine
18-03-2008, 11:57 PM
I've got the genuine VW pocket for the Polo 9n's. I had a full audio install at one stage in my car but removed it all. If interested, PM me. The pocket is in VGC.

Mr İharisma
19-03-2008, 06:19 AM
How much you willing to spend on the headunit?

MKIVF
19-03-2008, 08:15 AM
How much you willing to spend on the headunit?

At the moment looking at either an alpine or an eclipse with at least 2 4volt rca pre-outs, sub controla and ipod connectivity.

I also understand I'll need to buy a canbus? controller.

glidn
19-03-2008, 08:35 AM
i can highly recommend the Alpine 9887 and the Ipod control is pretty good too. And i hate IPOD. go figure.

Lorenz
19-03-2008, 10:29 PM
I have recently put an Alpine CDA-9885 into my MK3 and its bloody great for the price. Retail around 500, but managed to pick one up for 330 which was a bargain. Should be cheap now as they are last years model!
Has everything you want, 3 RCA preouts, sub control and fullspeed iPod control which is really good I find. Should fit it quite nicely and matches the Golf interior well so doesnt stand out like dogs balls unlike some of the others around!

Mr İharisma
20-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Due to new models coming out there are bargins everywhere. I seem a Pioneer ( I think it was a 5 series ) for about $300 and it have 3x 5v preouts plus ipod and all the usual stuff.

Try and start with a 5 series Pioneer or 9885 Alpine. Both will serve you really well!

Greg Roles
20-03-2008, 07:14 AM
Having the same idea, I'm going with gauges below the single din.

I purchased an exceptional fascia for my MK5, but given your dash, a simple pocket should be fine. A lot of headunits do come with a fascai surround to avoid any gaps, so perhaps a chat with your local car audio shop is in order. I'd assume the fitment boys end up with a box of these over time. Any car din size pocket will probably fit, I'd visit a wrecker and try to find the perfect size edge as well. Perhaps you can get a Falcon one with bigger edges and file it down or something.

For future reference the fascia I bought on e-bay UK is from celsusice.co.uk
It is a very high quality item, and was way better than expected. Comes withan ariel extension piece and factory loom to aftermarket adaptor as well. Wasn't overly expensive delivered, less than $50AU. Very high quality plastics and design. For instance all the wires are printed all the way along with their purpose, such as left front, right rear speaker etc. Nice!

The 3 gauge holder WAS expensive and difficult to get, as they didn't want to post outside the UK. Luckily my brother is over there. It was worth it though, as the gauges are angled towards the driver, which is a nice touch. This sucker cost me more than the fascia above!! venommotorsport.com
cost 31 pounds delivered to the UK ( ouch! ). Perhaps someone knows of something local and cheaper!!

All depends on the look and features you want.:D

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/2008_0318Image0002-1.jpg