PDA

View Full Version : Manuals

smithy010
11-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Hey,

What's the best manual for a Diesel? I'm after one cos i'm expecting to have to do a crank job on my new-found diesel.

Cheers

Smithy

Edison
12-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Not sure, but maybe if you have a digital cam you can post pics in the manuals section, the users with expertise (lots of em 'ere) can use a paint program to label all the bits and give you a procedure, they are always giving procedures, and you have your best manual full stop. your car specific... sorry the manual section is turning into a slow long term project, I've been very distracted lately as well as i only have my phone camera (lowres)

syncro
12-07-2006, 07:02 AM
Bentley is the best.

T & M (Australia) made a diesel supplement that you may pick up s/h.

gtimk5
12-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Second that. Bentley manual is definately the go. :)

hiho
22-07-2006, 07:35 PM
I have copies of Bently's, T&M and Haynes (and a VW training manual for the injector pump).

Haynes is the best, T&M has good pics but is light on description, Bently's is good but my copy doesnt have anything on drive shafts and cv joints (Just as well the others do)

In my experience Haynes manuals are ordinary (77 Toyota Celica) however this one is definetly the best of the three.

The VW training manual I plan to scan and post as it has excellent functional descriptions and diagrams of the various parts of the pump and their operation. It doesnt really have any additional service info though.
Matt

brackie
25-07-2006, 07:07 AM
As long as you:

* change your fuel filters regularly
* add a little canola (and mean a little!)
* NEVER run her out of diesel

your IP will last longer than the rest of the car. The Bosch VE pump is bullet proof. In the zillons of kms I've done in Mk1 diesels I've only ever had to replace the throttle bush in the top of the governor housing.

smithy010
25-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Considering it's got a brand new injector pump on it now, i'll be sweet then... but that is off the topic... what about using biodiesel- wouldn't i have to go through it with vitron at some stage?

brackie
25-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Considering it's got a brand new injector pump on it now, i'll be sweet then... but that is off the topic... what about using biodiesel- wouldn't i have to go through it with vitron at some stage?
Ahhhh.. The much-lauded Vitron. It's a synthetic that handles ULSD very, very well. If you switch to (well made) biodiesel it will actually swell your existing seals and there's no way she would leak. A little canola does the same thing.

MK3tdI
27-04-2007, 06:14 PM
You kept saying a 'little' canola - how much are we talking here ?
50cc or less per tank ?

jets
28-04-2007, 10:03 AM
The VW training manual I plan to scan and post as it has excellent functional descriptions and diagrams of the various parts of the pump and their operation. It doesnt really have any additional service info though.
Matt[/QUOTE]

I would be very interested to see the training manual when you have time to scan it Matt.

brackie
28-04-2007, 10:46 AM
You kept saying a 'little' canola - how much are we talking here ?
50cc or less per tank ?
I had a Mk1 diesel running the 2 tank system on 100% filtered, centrifuged canola and it ran like a dream. I stopped using it when the price of canola reached the price of diesel and then before I sold the car I removed the 2nd tank and plumbing.

I put 250mL of canola per 40L of diesel into my other diesels (except the TDI) and although they smell of fish and chips they run and start beautifully and have no leaks. As a precaution I replaced fuel filters frequently in the first kms (or hrs in the case of the tractors). The canola improves the lubricity of the diesel and keeps the seals in good condition. Of course if your IP pump's seals are in very poor condition it won't help much.

DutchAussie
08-05-2007, 10:58 PM
I had a Mk1 diesel running the 2 tank system on 100% filtered, centrifuged canola and it ran like a dream. I stopped using it when the price of canola reached the price of diesel and then before I sold the car I removed the 2nd tank and plumbing.

I put 250mL of canola per 40L of diesel into my other diesels (except the TDI) and although they smell of fish and chips they run and start beautifully and have no leaks. As a precaution I replaced fuel filters frequently in the first kms (or hrs in the case of the tractors). The canola improves the lubricity of the diesel and keeps the seals in good condition. Of course if your IP pump's seals are in very poor condition it won't help much.

I have now done almost 7000 Km's on 100% Biodiesel. No problems but I do carry a spare fuel filter and tools, just in case I have to change the filter. I have used Biodiesel from day 1 in my 2007 VW Caddy.

I have recently started my own forum for the VW Caddy Type 2KN. I hope I don't steal any of your members Brackie.

The Forum is at:

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=dutchaussie

Regards,

Arie

jets
15-06-2007, 11:40 PM
While not a complete list of manuals available on the net, let me note:

1. A Russian language copy of the VAG Self-Study Program (SSP) used for Service Training for mechanics to work the BKD engine (the 2.0 TDI with unit injectors) is available at http://volkswagen.msk.ru/engine/bkd/bkd_2l_tdi_rus.pdf. 3 MB. Technical Russian is fairly simple to master (and there's a little quiz at the end).

2. On the eDonkey 2K P2P network (ie you use a client such as eMule), you can on a good day find the following files:

* VAG 4-cylinder diesel 77-83 ProTraining.pdf (11 MB);
* Haynes VW Golf & Jetta Service and Repair Manual.pdf (8 MB);
* VW 1.9L AFD TechMan.pdf (1 MB); and
* various Self-Study Programs for the 1.9L TDI engines and for the electro-mechanical steering.

Cheers

Thanks vmq6695 for sharing this info. The pictures are good, but my Russian isn't so if you find any further info on the 2.0l TDI in English please post it.

jets
16-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Jets - did you really try or did you just shrug your shoulders?

If you have downloaded the *.pdf, you can copy and paste one para at a time into babelfish.altavista.com. Doesn't give perfect results, but it's better than nothing.

Here're the first four paras, in Babelfish translation :

"Passed the times, when diesels were read with the inert aggregates, capable of waking all neighbors with the morning launching and of release by the yushchimi of the cloud of black smoke with the work with the full load."

"The sequential improvement of all components of engines, their working processes, of construction materials, technology of the production of details, and also a considerable increase in the injection pressures led to the creation of diesels with the increased power parameters, grow prettier by dynamics and by high efficiency."

"In order to satisfy the rigid ecological standards and to ensure reduction in the fuel consumption with further increase in the power, concern Volkswagen made a rate to the airless-injection oil engines and turbine supercharger (TDI), after equipping with their 4-valve system of gas distribution."

"The two-liter engine TDI these are the first 4-drum diesel of concern Volkswagen with the 4-valve system of gas distribution, intended for the installation to automobiles Touran and Golf the model of 2004. Subsequently it must find a use also on other automobiles of concern."

Neat, huh? I liked the bit about the "waking the neighbours with the morning launching". And "yushchimini" is way more fun than "exhaust chimney" or "exhaust pipe".

I am relatively new to computers [age of 64] wearing a large L plate on my back,
so everything new is a bit of a struggle. I will refer your suggestions to my mentor.

jets
17-06-2007, 08:28 AM
No problems.

Rob