PDA

View Full Version : Ordering a Factory build Skoda

gregozedobe
17-03-2008, 11:37 PM
I hope this post will help those who are considering (or have made) a custom factory build order.

While I'm waiting for Skoda to build and deliver my new Octavia I thought I'd fill in some time by describing what I know, have experienced or am guessing about the process of getting a new Skoda by ordering one to be built (as different from taking one that has already been ordered by a dealer or Skoda Australia).

Everyone feel free to chime in with their experiences, knowledge, corrections etc. I will modify this post as appropriate to keep it up to date.

1 Choose a specification. In my case an Octavia RS wagon 2.0TFSI, Sprint Yellow, Xenon (HID) headlights.

2 Chooser a dealer/negotiate a price.

3 Sign contract and place a deposit (you are now legally obligated to buy according to the terms of the contract). If there is anything you particularly want it should be written in the contract. In my case I wanted a 2008 build, not just a MY2008 car, so I specified "2008 build" in my contract (it wasn't a problem as I was ordering a custom factory build in Jan 2008. )

4 Wait for commission details from the dealer. This confirms that (a) your particular car has been ordered, and (b) it has the correct specification. After reading about several factory ordered VWs that were delivered to the buyer with an incorrect specification (after waits of 3-5 months) I wanted to avoid this happening to me.

5 Wait for the build to be scheduled (in my case 6 weeks from ordering).

6 Obtain VIN and production date from your dealer (in my case 5 weeks from ordering). The VIN is allocated before they actually start building your car. Sometimes dealers are reluctant to tell buyers the VIN of "their" car. I take this to mean the dealer is considering selling "your" car to someone else (possibly for a higher price) or some such skulduggery, as I don't know of a legitimate reason not to tell you the VIN of a factory order.

I have posted a different thread about Skoda VINs, build codes etc.
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=13991

7 Wait for car to be built and transported to shipping port.

8 Wait for car to be allocated a place on a ship for transport to Australia ( mine was loaded onto ship 3 weeks after build, but it can sometimes take longer).

9 Track the progress of your car to Australia using:
http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTracking select Auto Cargo, type in your VIN (tracking by VIN, works for Skodas)

If you click on the Voyage id it will show you the details of completed/planned ports, click on "Next" to see second page.

Also http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppSchedules/vesselSearch.do (tracking current voyage by ship name)

10 Wait for ship to arrive in Australia. Mine took 6 weeks to go from Bremerhaven to Port Kembla

11 Wait for Patrick's to unload, do their compliance work and transport your car to your dealer (this may take longer than 9-10 above ! Mine took 3 weeks) :(

12 Wait for your dealer to complete their pre-delivery service, rego etc. (3 days)

13 Wait for your dealer to advise you your car is ready to collect (10 minutes).

14 Check your new car very carefully (spec & equipment correct, no damage, nothing missing). Allow plenty of time so you don't have to rush this. I actually took mine for a drive around the block before I handed over the cheque.

15 Pay remainder of purchase price.

16 Finally ! Drive away in your new car and enjoy it :D

17 Run it in with vigour (lots of throttle at medium revs, keep the revs between 2,000- 4000 for a petrol, 1800-3500 for a diesel, keep varying the revs, gentle on the brakes and tyres at first), wait for the engine to properly warm up before revving over 3,000rpm. If you do this it will run better, go harder and give you better fuel economy. Check your engine oil level regularly, and only use the correct VW specification engine oil.

gregozedobe
09-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Summary of main waiting periods for my particular car:

Sign contract and wait for the build to be scheduled (6 weeks from ordering).

Wait for car to be built, transported to shipping port and loaded ( 3 weeks - I think actual build was on one day).

Wait for ship to arrive in Australia ( 6 weeks to go from Bremerhaven to Port Kembla)

Wait for Patrick's to unload, do their compliance work and transport your car to your dealer ( 3 weeks)

Wait for your dealer to complete their pre-delivery service, rego etc. (3 days)

Collect and enjoy :)