PDA

View Full Version : Passat Wagon Owners Beware... No. Plate Covers.

OilBurna
11-03-2008, 01:32 PM
As I was getting ready last weekend to go away for Merimbula was packing some stuff in the rear, closed the tail gate and the number plate cover fell off, not happy Jan. On closer investigation was even more upset when I found out that the screws they have used were too long and have actually gone through the paint around the surround to the metal. Looks like the number sits too close to the actual tailgate itself.

Had a quick look at the wife's Merc and hers has some rubber spacers so that the number plate sits out further and the screws won't touch the tail gate. Dealer is in Geelong so not sure if will take it back, might write a note to VW so it is recorded on file (ie in case of rust) and then get some touch up paint. Anyone else had the same issue, might be worth checking yours..

Not sure if they can use shorter screws or should use spacers.

Lance B
20-03-2008, 01:56 PM
My clear number plate covers on my Passat wagon do not require screws to hold them on, but have 4 clips that hold it to the number plate.

I have mounted the rear tail gate number plate via the 6mm threaded screw mounting holes already provided by drilling the holes in the centre plane of the number plate at the 272mm centres to match the distance apart of the provided holes. I used plastic spacers of about 1.5mm - 2mm thickness and 6mm internal diameter between number plate and the threaded screw holes which allows it to sit off the rear of the car enough to allow clear number plate cover clips to not touch the paint work. Looks very neat and does not foul the paint work nor "clank" when the tail gate shuts.