PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean

R36 Dreamer
05-03-2008, 07:50 AM
14-way electrically adjustable front seats with lumbar support
and electro-pneumatic side bolster adjustment
Does that mean the seat can be adjusted for fat B@stards and Wirey types?

Also does the top spec passat have folding mirrors?

Northy
05-03-2008, 08:26 AM
I had a good play with the seats at the motorshow as im a fairly large fellow (125kg 6"2) and you can adjust the side bolsters (these are the "wing" parts on the side of the back support) in and out with a button on the side of the chairs. I was quite impressed with the adjustment range of the seats.

BTW. I have seen both "12" and "14" way adjustment quoted, so what we will actually get I'm not too sure.

R36 Dreamer
05-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I had a good play with the seats at the motorshow as im a fairly large fellow (125kg 6"2) and you can adjust the side bolsters (these are the "wing" parts on the side of the back support) in and out with a button on the side of the chairs. I was quite impressed with the adjustment range of the seats.

BTW. I have seen both "12" and "14" way adjustment quoted, so what we will actually get I'm not too sure.

Thanks Northy, I am a similar size, and so adjustment between my wife and I will be welcome - she is MUCH smaller.

I wonder whether that adjustment is linked into the memory functionality??

I have only seen the 14 way quoted, so I hope that is the go (though I am not sure what the "2" extra adjustments add to the process!!

Northy
05-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks Northy, I am a similar size, and so adjustment between my wife and I will be welcome - she is MUCH smaller.

I wonder whether that adjustment is linked into the memory functionality??

I have only seen the 14 way quoted, so I hope that is the go (though I am not sure what the "2" extra adjustments add to the process!!

There is ment to be 3 memory positions avalible so i cant see how this could not be part of it...

Steve
05-03-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm really looking forward to these, if only for the gimmick factor.

Once the R36 arrives I can't see myself stealing the GTI very often...

Northy
05-03-2008, 05:39 PM
I have also herd rumours that the side bolsters may be active as well, so that when you go around a bend they "prop" you up, this was only hearsay at the dealer so I cant confirm it....

Northy
05-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Found this pic on the net showing the controll, the side bolster adjustment is the switch to the far left

R36 Dreamer
06-03-2008, 06:59 AM
I have also herd rumours that the side bolsters may be active as well, so that when you go around a bend they "prop" you up, this was only hearsay at the dealer so I cant confirm it....

That would be cool - I know BMW's have that functionality in their M5 - but in a Veedub???:???:

R36 Dreamer
06-03-2008, 07:01 AM
There is ment to be 3 memory positions avalible so i cant see how this could not be part of it...

Northy, I have my doubts - I dont think the lumbar support is linked to the memory seat (it usually isn't) so would figure this would not be supported either - reason being that the electronics would struggle to work out what the right setting is - its a feel thing isnt it.

I dont think the seat could work out exactly how much air to put into the support.

However if it is mechanical rather than an air "pocket" like the lumbar support then their is a chance I suppose.

Not really crucial anyway when I think about it...