PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Custom Sound Install (honest)

ranton-inc
05-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Hey guys.. i just thought i would show you the completed sound install for the R32 we finished it last night ::) :P

jokes

this is a polystyrene fish export box i bought along so we could bed in the New 6.5 inch components going in the front of the R!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/CID781-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/CID1204-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/03/CID5526-1.jpg

Yes that is a pc power supply we are using to run the Alpine V12 Amp (which is for sale)

and also to power the Head unit

we are bedding in the Speakers on and off for 30 hours so they arent dammaged..

so thought we would post these up for a laugh!

The_Hawk
05-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Bedding them in? Is there a reason to do this?
Would you expect them to be damaged?

Sure I haven't bought high end gear, but for me it's always been throw it in and hope for the best :)

Just wondering what your rational is?

99gti
05-03-2008, 08:15 AM
I've heard of people doing this before but i thought this was something done long ago and didn't realise people still did it.

From what I know this goes back to the olden days before the modern transistors when people used valve amps. For them to work consistently they needed to be warmed up so the sound they produced was consistent.

The same theory was applied to speakers voice coils. By warming them up, it got the speakers to produce precise and constant tones.

ranton-inc
05-03-2008, 09:11 AM
According to Glidn

they must be broken/bedded in so that the voice coil loosens up early on in its life without heating up burning yada yada yada..

you have to run them for 30 hours (not continuously and not for longer than 24 hours in one stint)

oh and you got to use Natural music not computer generated garble (like doof doof music yes i do like it but apparently the speakers dont initially)

within 30 minutes of them playing in that enclosure at one volume.. they got brighter and louder progressivly and one would assume they have continued to do so since..

MKIVF
05-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Who's bringing in RE Equipment

And is the xxx available? :???::D

ranton-inc
05-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Im in NZ dude.. so to answer your question

a guy in the South island

xxx is available but far to large and unnecessary for a Day to day cruiser :)

im not doing comps so im not worried..

glidn
05-03-2008, 01:39 PM
yeah i have been bedding speakers for the past 6 years
i found the speakers to sound more natural, plus bedding them in at low volumes

like hitman said, loosens the rubber surroung and voice coil. Therefore once installed in the car, you can simply start tuning and turn the system up, without any possible chance of voice coil burn.

Unless they over tune or set the system up wrong.

Mr İharisma
05-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Bedding also helps with the spider which is kinda important. Doesn't usually take very long, play some normal music for a while then gradually turn it up.

After 10 hours most decent woofers will play without a hassle and reach there potential around 50 hours ( for high excursion models ).

Greg Roles
06-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Wow, I've heard of this but never done it. Thanks for the thread Hitman, I'll do the same from now on. Great simple explaination with the pix!

Lib n bunny
10-08-2016, 03:30 PM
Hi, new here from Melbourne and trying to follow how you fix them all, I am unable in doing bedding, could you please help me in this regard?