PDA

View Full Version : Toledo diesel??

imported_brackie
26-06-2005, 04:08 PM
We got the petrol engined model, but did we get it here?

Golf Loon
26-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Isn`t a Toledo a Fiat in disguise, not a VW. I wouldn`t poke one with a ****y stick.

imported_brackie
26-06-2005, 08:39 PM
No.. It's a Jetta made in Spain. Look for reviews and you'll find that the Tdi is very well respected. Uses Golf/Jetta mechanicals.
Why do we always miss out on these diesels!!!! WAKE UP AUSTRALIA!!! Seriously, the pollies are calling each other names on the subject of fuel excise, but if they just reduced/cancelled it on diesel we would ALL be better off. Think of how much is used in transporting goods around our cities (long haul is subsibised) or in trucks that don't make the weight cut-off. Not to mention electricians, builders, plumbers doctors, vets etc. who all have to put up their charges because fuel is more expensive. We farmers and the miners get excise-free diesel for off-road use, but we still pay full price for using it in our utes and 4wds as well as 4wd bikes. (It costs us $40 a week for unleaded just for our bike.)
Mmmmm. Not happy. And the Oil Crash is upon us.
Lack of....

roccodingo
27-06-2005, 01:40 AM
Now if your really worried about fuel and the impending lack of, you should have a look at this stuff...

http://www.peakoil.net/

the only option for us aussies is to convert to Liquified natural gas, ( not lpg btw) and wait for the breakthroughs for hydrogen production to fuel the future machinery. ( read as everything that runs on oil )

There is already an australian guy who has got fuel injectors for LPG, doing away with the old LPG converter etc

http://www.gas-injection.com/

Now this needs to be modded to run on Natural gas fuel ( which should be straightforwards) last time I checked LNG price it was about 20C/Litre...but you have to fork out for a compressor ( $ 6 -7 000)

Interesting to note that the lpg injection can make more power than the benzine derived fuel it needs to replace...have a read and a think...Like to hear what you all see for the future....now where is my bicycle...LOL.

imported_brackie
27-06-2005, 07:00 AM
Yeah...Great stuff! I ran LPG in Range Rovers and Commodores (sorry guys...I'll probably go to Hell for owning those!) and loved it. There used to be zero govmt. "take" on LPG but they started taxing it with the GST and now they have a timetable for bringing it up to the 38c we pay for petrol and diesel.
As far as LNG and CNG are concerned the technology is present for both (but the LNG has to be refrigerated, I believe). You would need a compressor and a gas connection for CNG. All of our LNG goes to Japan, Korea and China from the NW Shelf and so enters the World Market never touching Australian soil (except for in the processing plants of the Pilbara). That's the trouble with multi-nationals and world prices. The country that produces the petroleum sells it's soul for quick money. We should be looking after ourselves first and preserving our petroleum for the future.
(Anybody ever stop to think how much accumulated tax there is on a litre of petrol?? Not just the excise, but the GST, royalties paid by oil extraction companies, company tax on the same, company tax on the refiners, fuel taxes on delivery and it goes on.......)
But yeah, back to LPG injection. Diesels can be converted to run on a mix of LPG and diesel. Gives petrol-like performance and actually works out cheaper to run!

Golf Loon
07-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Back to the original thread, sorry for interrupting you rant...

The Cordoba is a Jetta in Disguise, made in Spain. Isn`t the Toledo discontinued?

I reckon the`d be TDi Cordobas kicking around, I`ll investigate at the Seat wreckers for you.

imported_brackie
07-07-2005, 08:20 PM
In my home town a "Ranter" is a singer. That's Geordie dialect for you! Sorry if I got carried away but some things get to me.
Yeah, Your info is useful, but do you really think the Seat wreckers would have a Tdi?

Golf Loon
07-07-2005, 11:18 PM
They are one of very few wreckers that carry seat bits in sydders and they have loads of em. I`ll find out tomorrow when they open.