PDA

View Full Version : No Keys For 96 Seat

96 seat
03-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi there - again.
Any suggestions on what to do?? Does the key have a transponder? Do I have to go to VW to get another one? who else supplies SEAT parts? I'm in Toowoomba - near Brissie.
thanks
Peter

belle
03-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi Peter

I called South Yarra VW here in Melbourne about a replacement key a few months back and they said 4-6 weeks shipped out from Spain And $150.

Im going to try and get one from a SEAT dealer in England hopefully better price and time shipping wise.

Good Luck

Golf Loon
03-03-2008, 11:22 PM
There are 2 kinds of keys. Coded and uncoded.
The uncoded kind is in the early 1994-1996early cars and the coded is in the 1996onward cars.

The uncoded kind can be made for you by a locksmith if you take him your drivers door lock.
It can be removed with one bolt, hex or starr head in the door aperture. This key should then start the car.

If it does but the car only runs for 4 seconds then youneed a coded one which means the purchase of a coded blank from a VW dealer, a trip to the locksmith then the return of the car with the key to the dealer for coding.

If it is uncoded and different to your doorlock, I`m happy to sell you an ignition lock with key. I also have tested AC Compressors. We supply SEAT and VW Parts Camden GTI 0423 051737

Give us more details of the car, ibiza or cordoba? year model from the build date next to the compliance plate on the raintray.
The year on the rego may be wrong, lots of these cars took 13 months before they were sold here as new, so yours could be a 95 and uncoded.

Why would you wait for a key to be sent from Spain by carrier pigeon Belle? Get a VW one from your local dealer. $65 or so.

You could also find out by removing the plastic shroud under the steering wheel, pull the connector off the back of the lock and jumpering wires. You should be able to join the big red wire to one or more of the smaller wires untill you get red dah lights, then have an extra jumper to the big red and black wire and that should kick the starter.

If the car starts and keeps running you need an uncoded key, which is somewhat easier.

Good Luck and welcome. Update your user profile with location so we can help you beeter.

Cheers
Matt

belle
04-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Loon I just asked them how much for a key?

They made me give them my vin no and said that it wasnt the same as the vw ones and would have to be ordered.. I know mine is coded, would it make that much of a difference:confused:

My poppys '00 golf key is the reverse of mine (the blades i guess you call them) dont really know how to explain.

I did ask at a few locksmiths and they only have the replacement ones that are the opposite to mine. Just gave up on the idea and then thought about getting one from my local SEAT dealer in England

The_Hawk
04-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Is it possible to swap out the barrels for a new set with keys. ie will something else fit? Like a set of golf Barrels? That way your key problem is solved.

When it comes to transponder it gets a little more tricky, from my readings you need the right kind of chip in the key or it can't be coded.

SO... assuming you can get a new barrel and key set with a compatible chip it should be a quicker task that ordering from overseas... hopefully.

On a completely different note, is it possible to simple get the barrels changed and have an auto electrician disable the imobiliser??

Jmac
04-03-2008, 06:38 PM
A good locksmith can do an internal cut key. Get a blank one with a transponder , have it cut and take it to VW to have it recoded, or a good locksmith (mobile can cut the key then suck the immob info ,use a key generator and code your key. ) Ive had Porsche and Audi keys done here in Brizzy as long as they are pre randomly encrypted which your Seat will be then you will have no worries.

Golf Loon
05-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Is your key blade rectangular Belle? or is it a thin type key?
It should be the same blank as for a 1997 Golf 3.

Show us a pic of the key.
I can get you one from England if you like.