PDA

View Full Version : Rear Camber

BL33SU
03-03-2008, 09:46 AM
do our VW's camber in at the rear the more you lower it?

wen you lower a bmw or commodore, the rears camber in so it doesnt hit the rim. does our VAG cars do the same??

The_Hawk
03-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Only if you have IRS. The old Type III did, as do most aircooled vehicles. AFAIK the Golf range does not. Passats... well I'm not sure.

BL33SU
03-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Only if you have IRS. The old Type III did, as do most aircooled vehicles. AFAIK the Golf range does not. Passats... well I'm not sure.

kool thanks.. how do you know if it has IRS or not.. is there something i should look for?

99gti
03-03-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm pretty sure the audi A4's do - so i presume the passats do but don't quote me on that.

rayray086
03-03-2008, 06:16 PM
I know cars using a rear axle beam don't cause more negative camber as you lower the car, but it will make the wheels sit further towards the front due to the action of the beam (is that positive or negative castor?). However, if you want to generate camber, you can use camber shims. They bolt up between the stub axle and axle beam.

http://www.eurosportacc.com/images/247-shims.jpg

It's unnoticeable in the picture but in extreme cases, you can physically see that the bottom of the shim is thicker than the top, thus allowing your tyres to sit on an angle. Purely for racing or show-only purposes as you can imagine.

Water Boy
03-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Oh yeah camber shims... I think i may have ordered some of those :D

Bubu
12-03-2008, 06:18 AM
One of my mates has a 97' Audi A4 which has been lowered around 2' or so and I have not noticed any neg camber on his car.

gpk_gti
12-03-2008, 06:46 AM
I dont understand you ray,you keep trying to do things to a passat that will either make it look like a beemer or a skyline. my suggestion is sell the car and buy somehing you really want.much cheaper in the long run.

SoVeReIgN
12-03-2008, 08:39 AM
do our VW's camber in at the rear the more you lower it?

wen you lower a bmw or commodore, the rears camber in so it doesnt hit the rim. does our VAG cars do the same??

lol you make it sound like a feature but it's really a BAD thing - Will wear through your tyres like you wouldn't believe and cause the car to handle like ****.

gldgti
13-03-2008, 06:30 AM
IT ALL DEPENDS....

cars like commodores with IRS end up with lots of neg on the rear when they are low because of the angle that the rear wishbones rotate through to get to that position.... its not by design that the tops of the wheels end up with more clearance. generally anyone who does this on a commodore then eventually gets a camber kit put in so that they have less neg.

im infamiliar with the passat rear suspension (on the new passats atleast) but i trailing arm golf suspension allows little change in alignment with ride height, which is nice.

i would suspect that like bmw's and audis with IRS, there is much less transition to neg camber on th rear than the notorious commodore.

xcgumby
22-03-2008, 01:44 PM
On a FWD passat, they've got rear trailing arms - so you end up with the wheels a little bit further back.

If you have a double wishbone rear set up, lowering wouldn't change the camber.

I think even on the front of the passat there's no change in the camber the lower you go. It would - I think - set the wheels out a little bit further.

In both cases on the passat the difference is minimal.

I reckon with top control arms (like the passat) it would have the effect of moving the wheel through a vertical plane. Assuming the car is lowered to the upper limit of the vertical range of movement a little of either +ve or -ve camber would result under compression.

You could work out the locus that the movement traces on a piece of paper & a pair of compasses. Frankly, CBF.

Lorinser
17-03-2009, 04:27 PM
So for a Bora 4Motion, what would be the best way of increasing rear negative camber? Shims? And what about the front?

Where can I order some from? :)

Mrk_Mickey
17-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Bora 4Motion would have IRS surely, being AWD? I'd assume the best way to get neg camber on it is to DROP IT LIKE ITS HAWT!!

Lorinser
17-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Haha yeah it's on its guts already and has some camber but wouldn't mind more. It's in the shop at the moment getting bags to go even lower :)

I'll see how it turns out then go from there I guess.

Golf Houso
17-03-2009, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=Lorinser;296901]It's in the shop at the moment getting bags to go even lower :)[QUOTE]

Wow, please keep us updated :biggrin: How much work is it to install camber shims btw?

Mrk_Mickey
17-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Wow, please keep us updated :biggrin: How much work is it to install camber shims btw?

By my understanding it involves resetting the hub. Ie taking off the wheel, brakes, disc, blah blah blah, putting on the shim and then reversal. Wouldn't be TOO much if you really wanted to do it, but personally I'd probably not do it straight away...I'd have to find a day where I'm REALLY keen to do it :nana:

rayray086
17-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Don't think you can add shims behind a rotating axle. With the rear beam setup, the camber shims are located behind the stub axles.

MIS.18T
18-03-2009, 08:20 AM
dub 20v is having his fitted at the moment should have around 1.5 neg camber:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: you can get them from regal motorsport...

RhysQ
18-03-2009, 10:06 AM
got camber? j:

Golf Houso
18-03-2009, 10:14 AM
By my understanding it involves resetting the hub. Ie taking off the wheel, brakes, disc, blah blah blah, putting on the shim and then reversal. Wouldn't be TOO much if you really wanted to do it, but personally I'd probably not do it straight away...I'd have to find a day where I'm REALLY keen to do it :nana:

I had a feeling that was the case, what about camber bolts I remember you mentioning those before?

And does that car even move or does it just sit in his yard so he can take pictures of it j:

Mrk_Mickey
18-03-2009, 11:39 AM
I had a feeling that was the case, what about camber bolts I remember you mentioning those before?

And does that car even move or does it just sit in his yard so he can take pictures of it j:

Camber bolts are for the fronts. Camber up front is adjusted on the strut with two big bolts that have a little play in them. You can't really adjust them to get huge negative or positive camber, it's mainly for alignment...so then when you have bad camber alignment you can get special bolts that help adjust it MORE so you can get the wheel straight.

If that car moved, the tyres would need replacements weekly..