PDA

View Full Version : Carputer newbie. Advice please!

MaximusSmurf
28-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Hey all. I have been thinking about modding up my new VW Polo GTI with a carputer.

This is very much a first for me. I'm good with computers, but not very strong at all on electronics.

I have the following components already and I'm wandering what other things I'll need to complete the job.

I have:
GA-PCV2 (I think thats it) 1ghz Via mini-itx mobo
512mb DDR ram
200gb 3.5" HDD
Some 120mm fans
Wood and dremel to custom build small case
80watt Dell psu, small

Now I'm thinking I'll also need:
Touchscreen, 7" or so, something along the lines of the Xenarc or Lilliput (http://store.mp3car.com/category_s/27.htm) screen.
M2-ATX car PSU (http://store.mp3car.com/M2_ATX_160W_Intelligent_DC_DC_PSU_p/pwr-015.htm) or an Opus CAR psu (http://store.mp3car.com/OPUS_120_watt_DC_DC_power_Supply_DCX3_120_p/pwr-013.htm) or a 12DC inverter (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MI5102&CATID=&keywords=12v+inverter&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=) (not sure which way to go yet)
4 x 50w or 100w amp (to power the speakers once I take the OEM headunit out.

So theoretically I can build the pc into a nice small wooden case (couple of 120mm fans for ventilation), paint it black and mount it in the boot. Install an in-dash 7" screen, run the video to the pc. Run the audio out from the pc to an amp (3.5mm onboard sound to and dual rca input onto the amp) which will power all my speakers. Not sure exactly how to power the pc yet. I like the sound of the M2-ATX or Opus car psu more coz of the auto startup/shutdown options.

Ideally I'd like the unit to run jukebox software of some sort so I can have all my music in the car (possibly can sync it with my pc when it's within range, may have to do that manually???). Would also like SatNav to run through it, and possibly divx movies (if the 1ghz pc can handle xvids/divx's)

Ok. Now that I've got all that out of the way what I'm after is some advice or opinions on stuff that I've chosen and/or ideas that I have. Can anyone see any major flaws? Any specific parts I should be using / not using? Anyone willing to help out when install time comes around?

Thanks for any and all help you can provide.

The_Hawk
28-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Have you considered a Pioneer AVIC or Kenwood equivalent (or any of the others)??

Otherwise, a few points:

A laptop harddrive as it's designed to deal with bumps/knocks better.
What makes this job really easy it so just flat out use a laptop, low power comsumption, deals with heat, deals with knocks, can get car power adaptors easily, is small etc etc etc. Consider what a cheapy laptop is worth these days vs what it would cost you to build all the bits you will need. Second hand they are dirt cheap, even new you can find them at $550 on special.

For power (as it looks like your doing anyway) it's cheaper and easier to go from 12V -> 110/240V -> PSU (12V) than to run straight of 12V.

USB has a limited range. Consider any controls (including the screens) will be limited by how far away you can put the computer and still use them.

Wireless is possible and can then be used for syncing, Bluetooth or USB GPS is possible and easy to set up. Syncing with your phone is possible, pretty much anything is possible.

JustCruisn
28-02-2008, 03:45 PM
I've recently done this and let me tell you it is very rewarding but at the same time extreemly frustrating. There are soo many problems you need to overcome.

Laptops may be small but need special power adapters ~$100, how do you turn on the laptop ? I had to mod the power switch and create my own circuit to pulse the switch for 1/2 second when acc line gets power.
Mini itx systems seem to make more sense as there are nice power adapters like the Opus. PCs do not have a battery so they cold boot each time 30-40 sec, laptops can go to standby and back in 5 seconds which is nice.

You will need something to turn on the amp AFTER the soundcard has initialised or you get a huge thump through the speakers.

7inch screen is too small use for normal windows apps while driving, you will need special software (front end) which is designed for touch screens. There a free ones, but you get what you pay for. I use Cenreafuse - it is great.

Lilliput & Xenarc screens are crap in sunshine, sunlight screens cost 2 to 3 times as much. This is the single biggest let down of my install.

GPS receivers are cheap ~$70 but quality maps are not $200+.

You can run USB from boot to dash without any problems, if you want a hub up front it will need to have its own power source.

Don't kid yourself on the budget either, nice power cables cost $14 -20 per metre, think battery to boot is about 4.5m in a Golf.
Speaker cables Amp in boot to 4 speakers = 16metres of speaker cable.
Monitor cables from boot to dash $35 or more.
USB cables to dash and to GPS etc etc
Power distrubution blocks
You'll need a bunch of relays too

How are you planning on mounting the screen ? I pulled mine apart and mounted it to a custom dash mount - goodbuy warranty.

I dont want to put you off but the CarPuter is not an easy cheap thing to do, there is a reason VW charge $3000 for their indash units.

Feel free to aks more Q's, if you are in Brisbane I would love to help you with it all.

Good luck

Chris

glidn
29-02-2008, 12:17 PM
i would suggest going to a DC-to-DC PSU unit, your cars electrical.

But there is alot you can do.

How are you going to connect the carputer to the existing stereo?

maybe that would shed some light on what you can do.

HOLEIN1
29-02-2008, 11:00 PM
thinking of putting one of these in the golf too, however main drawback is the absence of quality AM/FM receivers meaning that i would have to retain my regular HU

have a look on the MP3 Car (http://www.mp3car.com/) forums, theres a wealth of info on there for this sorta stuff

keep us posted on your progress

dan :)

The_Hawk
01-03-2008, 07:07 AM
thinking of putting one of these in the golf too, however main drawback is the absence of quality AM/FM receivers meaning that i would have to retain my regular HU

Ahhh, but being a PC you can get a PCI/USB FM tuner :)

bboyskidz
03-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I've got all the parts for my PC install apart from the screen and the special laptop PSU that was mentioned before. I'd also look at getting a gps unit, but it can wait till last.

i've got a demo copy of centrafuse... i would like to see the newest version though, not too keen on paying $295 for what can be reproduced exactly through a nice free application called 'road runner'. It definately does do a good job.

The soundcard that is built into my PC isn't exactly crash hot so i was thinking of getting an external usb creative one...

My uncle is a boat builder and has done alot of custom installs for boats (think sliding trays and fibreglass moulds ;) ) so I'll be speaking to him sooner or later once i get all the parts and I'll be re-arranging my centre console :D :D

You can get a decent screen off ebay for $200-400 depending on the brand...

HOLEIN1
04-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Ahhh, but being a PC you can get a PCI/USB FM tuner :)

hmm thats interesting, from what ive heard all these tuners offer poor reception when the car is moving...seem to be fine when the car is stationary however...

do you know of a tuner that does work, hawk?