PDA

View Full Version : shell 100 octane

blutopless2
28-02-2008, 09:44 AM
has anyone seen the 100 octane fuel at shell servos??
went and filled up last night and noticed that the pump had 100 on offer..
regular unleaded was 147c/L 98 was 157c/L and 100 was nearly 165c/L!!!
stated on the pump that it has 5% ethanol in it.

Couldn't believe it was so much more than 98 octane for the small increase in octane rating.

Has anyone used it?

DubSteve
28-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Thats normal where abouts was this?

The_Hawk
28-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Couldn't believe it was so much more than 98 octane for the small increase in octane rating.

Especially when ethanol is supposed to be cheap(er) than petrol hence ethanol fuel is usually cheaper.

From what I have read/heard, fuel has a "power" factor, yes more octance is a good thing, but ethanol has less "power" than normal fuel so at a higher octane things start to even out. So 100 RON including 5% ethanol may be the equivalent of 98 RON straight petrol??

From what I understand it's like LPG, which has a high RON number 100 - 110?? But has less "power" than regular petrol. So you use more, has less (or the same) power, but it's supposed to be cheaper (or greener/cleaner) to make it worthwhile.

Anyone know more than me?

blutopless2
28-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Thats normal where abouts was this?

This was in Laverton, Vic. Westgate Freeway

blutopless2
28-02-2008, 01:32 PM
had a look on the shell website.. they reckon more torque and horsepower out of it. and this is off their MSDS on what's in it...
"Complex mixture of hydrocarbons consisting of paraffins, cycloparaffins, aromatic and olefinic hydrocarbons
(including benzene at 1.0%v/v maximum), with carbon numbers predominantly in the C4 to C12 range. Contains
oxygenated hydrocarbons, including ethanol or other alcohols. May also contain several additives at
<0.1% v/v each. Dyes and markers can be used to indicate tax status and prevent fraud."

Spyda
28-02-2008, 10:44 PM
When I ask, I was told it was the same as BP Ultimate.
There are 2 Shell stations on either side of michelham road in gladstone park, one with racing and one without, strange thing was that a local ferarri F430 seems to always fill up with V-power and never jump across the road for V-power Racing.

Im keen to try it, not that itll do much good to the 8v. It works out to about $8 more per tank for me.

I thought ethenol was bad for the engine, or pluming or something, or am i thinking of something els?

Soundofav6
28-02-2008, 10:59 PM
WHERE abouts are you from blutopless2.. I have been keeping my eye out for this..

I have used it before it changed name "V power Racing" it was called, shortly after my local shell didn't stock it as it too expensive.

Used it in my old car, IT was HEAPS FUN..

blutopless2
29-02-2008, 06:47 AM
I am from Werribee, Vic... i usually fill up with mobil (have a fuel card) but this time i filled up from shell as it was convenient at the time.
Shell servo located on the Westgate freeway in Laverton, Geelong bound side.

Soundofav6
02-03-2008, 03:54 PM
lol .. I was hoping you are from sydney..

Golf Loon
02-03-2008, 08:18 PM
I have used it in a VR6 and am sure it gave more power.

The Shell on Cowpasture Road between the Camden Valley way and North Liverpool Road stocks it ;)

IBN
05-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Considering that ethanol use is subsidised in Australia, the price is an APALLING rip-off.
Mind you, my A3 and bike like the stuff, or seem to according to the seat of my pants.
As far as I know, BP Ultimate contains no ethanol and should not be compared to V-Power Racing.
Cheers.

jayjay
05-03-2008, 05:58 PM
i thought there was a mandatory 2% ethanol in australian fuels? with like a cap at 10%, ie. e10.

blutopless2
06-03-2008, 07:02 AM
no... not meant to have ethanol in the fuel at all unless they stipulate on the pump what the percentage is.
The 10% cap was about the limit the engines could handle without damage - and that depended upon the manufacturer anyway. some said not to use it at all.

The_Hawk
06-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Well actually... there is a mandated 2% in all 91RON unleaded fuel. BP are a bit different and list all their 91 as "up to 10% ethanol" becauase it depends on what they feel like mixing in today (and what they have available). Which of course means you could be anywhere between 2% and 10% at any servo on any day. Being that I use the 98 I have never bothered to ask if they actually know what they have at any given point in time.

There is no mandate of the premium 98 RON fuel. When it comes to 95RON... I'm not 100% but I don't think the 2% is mandated there either.

IBN
06-03-2008, 10:39 AM
As far as I know, the 2% ethanol mandate only applies in NSW, courtesy of your State government.
Mind you, could be wrong. Often am.:?
http://www.business.nsw.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/0E771795-97CE-4C19-A96C-2B3A53AFA5AB/0/biofuel_ethanolcontent_regulation_s2007278d09.pdf

ang3lsholocaust
08-04-2008, 12:15 AM
As my partner works at a shell site which sells V-power racing we have started to use it both in our Beetle and our commodore. I know foul language around here. :P
To be honest it has given my 2.0 manual beetle far better performance then the v-power 98 and we seem to be actually getting better K's out of it too.
My partner seems to notice it more in the V6 commodore. He says although it doesn't seem as responsive straight off the bat like the 98 if you give the pedal a nice easy push of the pedal you do notice the car getting up to top speed alot quicker then with the 98.
We both are happy with it and will be continuing to use it unless we start seeing changes

vinderliker
08-04-2008, 09:27 AM
I had no choice the other day, as I was low on fuel and the Shell had no Premium or other stuff except for 100. I reckon the the Little Beastie went well on it both performance and economy, burns better and probably has less C02, it also turned out to be the same price the next day as premium. I am currently doing a log book comparison to see if it how it works for bang for bucks. Adding octane boost from a bottle is expensive as most only give 1 to 2 more points and the good stuff from Nulon is $25 a bottle. Yes I know could run 91 but have been advised and noticed myself that 98 is better (performance and economy burns better and probably has less C02). If I pay a bit more and is better all round, I'll do it!!

SoVeReIgN
08-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Ive been using it for a couple of months now - It's expensive, and out of my way but I believe it gives me a noticeable increase in performance!
(But mines a fairly tuned turbo car - Unless you're engine is capable of making use of the fuel don't bother)

ranton-inc
08-04-2008, 07:51 PM
stop complaining we are paying a 1.98 per litre for 98 here!!

so about 1.70 aussie per litre for 98

lol!

why im leaving NZ :P

JustCruisn
08-04-2008, 09:15 PM
I used to fill up on Shell Optimax extreme which is now called V-Power Racing.
I does deliver more power, but nothing special, nothing like the difference from 95-98. and can get about 50 more kays from a tank. But the extra $$ is just not worth it at all. Maybe if someone else made 100RON fuel the price might come down.
I would use BP 98 instead of Shell if it were not 5-8c/litre dearer.

JustCruisn
09-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Both Shell and BP produce the 100oct fuel. Unless caltex produces the100 then the price will stay fixed i guess.:?

What name do BP market their 100RON fuel. I've never seen it at the pump.
You can get BP 100 in a 20L drum but it is illegal to use in a road car due to the lead content.

IBN
09-04-2008, 03:20 PM
100 octane?
Lookes like United is coming to the party.
http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/index.asp?pgID=65
If their pricing will be like for their 98 octane product, it should put the wind up Shell.
Pity about the limited availability though
Cheers

leasaunce
07-09-2008, 08:03 PM
so since Shell phase out their V Racing, where can we can 100oct fuel??? (in sydney)

jayjay
07-09-2008, 10:21 PM
i think they've stopped stocking it in sydney. or at shell.. i cant seem to find it anywhere..

i tried e10 the other day. it's not bad. and it's frikken cheap too. similar power to 95 - 98. bit more fuel consumption. but smooth and responsive. :?

DaveMack
08-09-2008, 12:59 AM
i think they've stopped stocking it in sydney. or at shell.. i cant seem to find it anywhere..

i tried e10 the other day. it's not bad. and it's frikken cheap too. similar power to 95 - 98. bit more fuel consumption. but smooth and responsive. :?

You're running your VAG vehicle on E10? :eek: I've heard that's ... um ... a bit bad for your lump.

Dave

Joe Chu
14-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Guy's, I use this in my car whenever I can get it, at one stage there was no 98 available from shell for about a 2 months in Sydney. I noticed a differance not only in my car but we were filling Bentley's with this fuel and both performed great. Milage increased slightly better than 98.

leasaunce
15-01-2009, 12:47 PM
^you cant get it anymore from shell since last year... 100oct with 5% ethanol? hmmm

hokenmk3
19-04-2009, 07:25 PM
BP Ultimate and Mobil Synergy 8000 are true high octane fuels. All other fuels marketed as high octane fuel are regular fuel with an octane booster... this octane booster only has a 2 week shelf life which has already started before the fuel has even been delivered to the petrol station. By the time you fill with it it has already been mixed for 10 days and has only 4 days of shelf life left. After shelf life has expired, it loses its octane rating and burns dirty damaging your catalytic converter.

Cummins sell avgas

Mind's Eye
17-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Just to add to the thread, some advantages and disadvantages of using ethanol as a fuel:

+ Burns more cleanly and efficiently than petrol
+ Ethanol has a lower ignition temperature than petrol so ignites more readily
+ Can dissolve gunk built up, cleaning the engine
+ Increases octane rating
+ No engine modifications needed for 10-24% ethanol/petrol blends

- Produces less energy per gram than petrol (:. less power)
- Higher flash point of ethanol means its harder to combust in colder temperatures
- When ethanol is >25% by volume, a higher compression ratio is required to prevent greater engine wear

hokenmk3
19-05-2009, 11:36 AM
my cousin is a retired chemical engineer that used to work for Mobil and she said the only cars that can handle alcohol in fuel are Toyotas and Fords built since 1976. The metal used in the valves in all other cars is not suitable for use with fuel that has that much alcohol in it.

Because it burns for longer, it is in contact with the exhaust valve stem for longer while it is still burning and will wear out non-Toyota and non-Ford valves VERY VERY quickly. This does not mean Toyota and Ford valves are better quality; it just means that the valves in all other makes of car are not suitable for fuel with higher alcohol content.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE

jeanheide
19-05-2009, 12:08 PM
i used to use e10 in my golf mk2 gti and to be honest, my average usage was around 8.5l per100km cause i drive a bit lead footed. now with the 100oct i got same thing but only 20km more per tank.
i did a weekly thing of filling one week with e10 which was 95-96oct and the next with 100oct.
the 100oct was absolute crap imo and didnt make any diff to even the e10 from shell.
xcept the couple k's more.
performence wise and tourquewise i say the e10 ran alot better.
i ran the e10 for about 1n half years and now i took my engine apart and there isnt even a little thing worn or look used in my engine.
the point for 100 octane is to run high performance cars, not your every day cars.
hence why high performance charged engines and luxury or top of the range cars require a minimum of 98oct.
also because in germany and alot of other european countries 98 is now the lowest set of petrol you can get.
98 is standard.

addictions
23-05-2009, 05:25 PM
does anyone know if this is still availible in sydney anymore?

Manaz
23-05-2009, 08:17 PM
does anyone know if this is still availible in sydney anymore?

Nope, Shell have dropped it as a product.