PDA

View Full Version : car troubles, stalls.

joshyd-mk2gti
02-07-2006, 09:34 PM
first off my gti is an 8v digi2.

it first started playing up yesterday. the water level light on the dash was flashing. i only had to go down the street and back (about 5km all up) so i said ill ignore it and check the level tomorrow, top it up if need be (ive only ever had to top it up once before). anyway, when i was coming back home the car started running rough. when i was accelerating the revs would drop and it would stumble, stutter and then come good. i topped up the water today. the car starts up fine and idles fine for around 10 seconds but then the revs drop and it stalls.

any ideas? dead oxygen sensor or something?

appreciate any help

tommymac
02-07-2006, 11:01 PM
yes i think that from memory this can be a problem, there must be a fault with something send info to the computer to adjust the mixture, the MAF is also a main offender for this - might be a good time to get a BMer one that allows a few ponies to me gained - sorry i cant help much :confused:

syncro
03-07-2006, 09:50 AM
First of all check for air leaks/split hoses.

joshyd-mk2gti
03-07-2006, 12:10 PM
thanks for the help. ill check the hoses soon and let you know what i find.

joshyd-mk2gti
04-07-2006, 12:12 PM
couldnt see any split hoses..

could the MAF sensor be playing up? is there any way i can test it..?

midget
10-08-2006, 06:04 PM
if you unplug the MAF then try the car, if it runs better than with the MAF plugged in then the MAF is stoofed.

(don't know why this is, but read up a lot of ppl on the Seatenthusiasts site have tried this method)

MK2 GTI
10-08-2006, 07:08 PM
It could be alot of things, My oxygen sensor is dead so i unplugged it and the car doesn't stall as much (need to replace it soon), i also ripped my throttle body off, cleaned all the oil and crap out of it and then adjusted the idle control switch so it clicks it better ( its the switch underneath the throttle body), the guy who owned the car before me told me it done the same thing when he owned it so he changed the air flow meter. Does it keep losing coolant?

joshyd-mk2gti
10-08-2006, 07:23 PM
the car is running fine now.

it came to a point where it would stall straight away. i was poking around in the engine bay checking the vacuum hoses but couldnt see anything. i think i fiddled with the MAF plug/wires then went to start it and it idled fine, and its been fine since. maybe the MAF plug was just loose or something..? when the MAF sensor isnt plugged in it stalls straight away.

where exactly is the o2 sensor? its hard to get a good look at the exhaust with the intake blocking the view.

MK2 GTI
10-08-2006, 07:29 PM
it's underneath just after the flexitube

evorobin
11-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Only cars with a cat have an 02 sensor though?

MK2 GTI
11-08-2006, 05:25 PM
mine has a cat and an o2 probe, id assume joshyd_mk2gti does aswell

benw
04-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Ive got the exact same problem, the water light came on the engine kept stalling... any ideas.

first off my gti is an 8v digi2.

it first started playing up yesterday. the water level light on the dash was flashing. i only had to go down the street and back (about 5km all up) so i said ill ignore it and check the level tomorrow, top it up if need be (ive only ever had to top it up once before). anyway, when i was coming back home the car started running rough. when i was accelerating the revs would drop and it would stumble, stutter and then come good. i topped up the water today. the car starts up fine and idles fine for around 10 seconds but then the revs drop and it stalls.

any ideas? dead oxygen sensor or something?

appreciate any help