PDA

View Full Version : Washing and detailing

en13
26-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi guys, I met a car detailer today who was very proud of his work. And he said that mobile car washers were just a load of baloney, but I'm not sure if there's any basis to that.

I am keen on getting a mobile car washer to help me out with my car- i just don't have time to clean it. and i want it to be handwashed (of course) with my product so they don't give me crap things on it.
what is your take on mobile car washers? they're not high pressured so no worries about paint coming off or anything.

the car washers cost about 45-65, depending on which one. whereas this guy who is a detailer charges about 220 for the whole car. and he reckons i should go to him in 6 months (my car is 2 weeks old).

thoughts? experiences?

balkanac
26-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Is this guy any good in taking bugs off paint?

MattyT
26-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Wax On Wax Off Mobile Car Detailing
Andrew: 0422 425 207

Havent used him but alot of people on perth-wrx.com have. See http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14063&page=1&pp=10 for a heap of before & after pix. Looks pretty good!

velly_16v_cab
26-02-2008, 03:25 PM
link no good matty, need to be a member (oh err!)

i had my Bora Detailed back in the uk, club discount for 70 pounds (normally 120)

if this guy is as good as she said he is then 220bucks is good IMO

out of interest here is a few cars done by my mate (sorry he is in the uk lol)

http://newportedition.myfreeforum.org/about3372.html
http://newportedition.myfreeforum.org/about2043.html - my Bora
http://newportedition.myfreeforum.org/about1678.html
http://newportedition.myfreeforum.org/about1646.html
http://newportedition.myfreeforum.org/about1715.html
http://newportedition.myfreeforum.org/about1571.html

MattyT
26-02-2008, 05:06 PM
doh - I'm a member as I was thinking of getting a wrx before I ended up with the vr6. Sorry.

His before & afters are very good though, theres a very clear difference!!

velly_16v_cab
26-02-2008, 07:17 PM
i know, he is very good. i think it would help more if he had a better camera lol

en13
26-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Is this guy any good in taking bugs off paint?

he has a '74 vw in PRISTINE condition (absolutely beaut), a rolls royce and has worked with ferraris.

i can give you his details if you want- pm me.

balkanac
25-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks en13, but my car was in an accident 2 on the weekend before last and the bumpers will be replaced, so bugs will go away with the old bumper. I'll keep this in mind, i might get him to detail my car later on

sing.song
27-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Interesting.

I'm quite interested in getting into car detailing myself, I adore cleaning my golf. I love it when we go out and it gets dirty, gives me an excuse to clean her!

People seem to beleive that I only enjoy doing it because its my own car but I could see myself enjoying cleaning other peoples. Bothers me when I see dirty cars; treat your car badly and it will treat you badly.

Does anyone else do this type of work in Perth? Car detailing?

Mrk_Mickey
27-03-2008, 10:59 PM
:(Oh the time I wish I had to give my car proper cleaning treatment. My car is ALWAYS clean, like I clean it once a week at least, but I can hardly ever find time to blacken up the bumpers or polish it etc! Damn you year 12!!:mad: I have heard there is this bloke who lives in my mate's street who is starting up his little side project business thing with car detailing again. He stopped it cause he got too busy for work before, but my mate is getting a job here and there with him and because it's not in a shop/carwash it's not expensive either. If I had more time I would work with him too! I reckon being able to detail your own car well has to be one of the most rewarding things you can do:)

DMS_Dan
23-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Why did he say mobile car washers were no good? did he give you a reason or was it to just drum up business for him

HOLEIN1
24-05-2008, 12:56 AM
Why did he say mobile car washers were no good? did he give you a reason or was it to just drum up business for him

ny experience with them is that its a clasic case of time=money, so the quicker they get their cars for the day done the quicker they get paid and get to sit on the couch with a beer...

that being said, the high pressure self serve wash places are one of the worst things you can do to your paintwork, so they arent much better...

i suffer from a lack of time too, but i push to get it in on a sunday arvo or something, i just hate paying some tool good money to do somethin i could do just as easily...

nothing major, just a microfibre mitt using the 2 bucket method, pat drying the car with a microfibre towel (to minimise swirls) and a sealant (ie. wax/polish) every few months

keeps my cars looking decent enough considereing i can get through it on half an hour...

DMS_Dan
24-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Be careful not to generalise but, not all of us are toold concerned with just getting paid

DaveMack
24-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Be careful not to generalise but, not all of us are toold concerned with just getting paid

Speaking of getting paid and using forums to drum up business ... are you a sponsor on this site, Dan? I ask because you appear to be drumming up business and don't appear to be a sponsor.

If you WOULD like to be a sponsor, there is a specific business area for our sponsors and your would be welcome to join them. Otherwise ... we cannot have new members just joining to spruik their business on, what is essentially, a not-for-profit enthusiasts forum.

Please declare business interests.

Dave

DMS_Dan
24-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Speaking of getting paid and using forums to drum up business ... are you a sponsor on this site, Dan? I ask because you appear ro be drumming up business and don't appear to be a sponsor.

If you WOULD like to be a sponsor, there is a specific business area for our sponsors and your would be welcome to join them. Otherwise ... we cannot have new members just joining to spruik their business on, what is essentially, a not-for-profit enthusiasts forum.

Please declare business interests.

Dave

Have a talk to Neil :) Im not trying to drum up business per say. We were talking yesterday and he said he didnt think there was any detailers on here. So i said ill have a look around and answer any questions the guys may have re detailing. We also spoke about sponsorship :)

DaveMack
24-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks, Dan. I will speak to him ... obviously we need clearer lines of communication as to who has spoken to admin and who has not.

Dave

mr_walker
24-05-2008, 11:13 AM
that being said, the high pressure self serve wash places are one of the worst things you can do to your paintwork, so they arent much better...

Excuse my ignorance, but what's wrong with the self serve car washes? I'm not allowed to wash my car at home because of water restrictions, and I want to steer clear of the automatic washes. I've been to the Vikings car wash at Erindale a couple of times (for you Canberra ppl) and it seems OK so far... am I going to get a nasty surprise sometime soon?

HOLEIN1
25-05-2008, 09:42 PM

didint mean to generalise, thats why i said 'with my experience'

yes there are some good detailers out there, but people really need to be careful

have a look on the finalinspection and detailparadise forums - theres loads of DIY info on there and contacts to pros in your particular state

:)

HOLEIN1
25-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what's wrong with the self serve car washes? I'm not allowed to wash my car at home because of water restrictions, and I want to steer clear of the automatic washes. I've been to the Vikings car wash at Erindale a couple of times (for you Canberra ppl) and it seems OK so far... am I going to get a nasty surprise sometime soon?

i wouldnt stress too much, depends on how fussy you are

main downers to them is that idiots use the brushes to clean their 4x4's, brake dust encrusted wheels and other rather dirty places

this basically means that the brush is FULL of micro swirl (aka 'swirl mark') causing dirt particles and will cause your paint work to look rather dull, especially darker colours. you will also find that some of those types of places also dont filter their water properly, and can cause water etchings due to all the road grime etc in the water

to avoid the scratches, use the high pressure gun to rinse it out for 30 secs or so to get most of it out...

with my old car (before the golf) i had a full paint correction done, and couldnt bear to scratch it up again. so instead of using the brush, i would go late at night with my usual bucket, car wash and microfibre mit and wash it there in the bay, kept both myself and the SA water restrictions happy ;)

not saying that everyone has to go to these lengths, nor am i saying that swirl marks make your car look crap (after all they are impossible to eliminate 100%), just saying that a well maintained/polished car looks brilliant, no matter what it is...

karldtz
10-07-2008, 03:45 PM
If you do have the time to clean the car 2 magic things you need.
1. the Magic Clay bar - basicially erases anything stuck to the paint (get the blue one - looks like a block of BluTac
2. P21S Carnuba Wax Paste - this stuff is absolutely brilliant - bought a shine up on my 10 yo car like it was brand new

DMS_Dan
16-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Both are awesome products but for even better results try using the P21S paint cleansing lotion before the wax. Will give much more slickness and remove some swirling minor oxidations etc